The Non England Euro 2016 Qualification thread.

VillaChris

To be fair, you need a bit of luck to make it to the semis with a team like South Korea. It was still a good achievement. As was taking Australia to the knock-out stages in the next World Cup and Russia to the semis of Euro '08. However since then, it's gone downhill and it has been clear for a while that his best years are behind him.

To be fair, you need a bit of luck to make it to the semis with a team like South Korea. It was still a good achievement. As was taking Australia to the knock-out stages in the next World Cup and Russia to the semis of Euro '08. However since then, it's gone downhill and it has been clear for a while that his best years are behind him.

It was a lot more than luck ;)

• Like 4

Analyzing on Sky Sports after the game, de Boer didn’t hold back, calling Hiddink ‘old-fashioned’ and saying that the veteran coach was ‘done’: “I think Guus Hiddink doesn’t really have a game plan in my eyes.

“He doesn’t show the guys ‘this is the way we want to go’. I want to see, for example, running midfielders supporting Van Persie. I don’t see any of this.

“There’s plenty of games to play and change it around. But the pressure will be enormous now for Guus because there was criticism for his nomination beforehand.

“[Ronald] Koeman was ready to take over, he was really outspoken, he really wanted to take the job. With all due respect for Hiddink, he’s 67 years old, I think he’s done, in my eyes.

“Of course he has a great record. His ideas now are old-fashioned. With Koeman he showed with Feyenoord he can really shape [a team] and also he knows the mentality of those young boys, Guus is more of a people manager with an arm around them. But those guys need guidance.”

As I thought Koeman did actually want the job but was passed over.

Gus Hiddink was a good manager. Remember PSV nearly reached the 2005 CL final but were one goal short v Meelan, he did well with Aussies and Russia were very impressive in euro 2008.

He's been in semi retirement since 2010 though so couldn't understand why the Dutch FA went back for him.

Yeah, I stand corrected. Mind boggling if they did pull out of hiring Koeman in favour of Hiddink. Must be more to it, possibly regarding Koeman's demands or something. Still inexcusable though on the face of it.

I think it's also part of the KNVB's long term plan. Hiddink is still a highly respected manager globally, I still have faith in him. He's also there to pass on his knowledge to Danny Blind who will be taking over in 2016.

Analyzing on Sky Sports after the game, de Boer didn’t hold back, calling Hiddink ‘old-fashioned’ and saying that the veteran coach was ‘done’: “I think Guus Hiddink doesn’t really have a game plan in my eyes.

“He doesn’t show the guys ‘this is the way we want to go’. I want to see, for example, running midfielders supporting Van Persie. I don’t see any of this.

“There’s plenty of games to play and change it around. But the pressure will be enormous now for Guus because there was criticism for his nomination beforehand.

“[Ronald] Koeman was ready to take over, he was really outspoken, he really wanted to take the job. With all due respect for Hiddink, he’s 67 years old, I think he’s done, in my eyes.

“Of course he has a great record. His ideas now are old-fashioned. With Koeman he showed with Feyenoord he can really shape [a team] and also he knows the mentality of those young boys, Guus is more of a people manager with an arm around them. But those guys need guidance.”

As I thought Koeman did actually want the job but was passed over.

Gus Hiddink was a good manager. Remember PSV nearly reached the 2005 CL final but were one goal short v Meelan, he did well with Aussies and Russia were very impressive in euro 2008.

He's been in semi retirement since 2010 though so couldn't understand why the Dutch FA went back for him.

Bouma played CB,He was an absolute tank. I couldn't believe when we got him for £3.5m

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They all stand a good chance of making it, I'd love to see all four UK countries qualify.  I think Wales have the best chance after England do, their away game in the famous European state of Israel in March is absolutely huge. It's a must not lose game for them.   Assuming Wales beat Andorra at home in the last game of the qualifiers then I think they need to just avoid any disastrous results.  They want to be taking four points from Israel and not losing any of their remaining home games.  If they can get to 16 or 17 points (they currently have 8) then that should be good enough for second place and an automatic spot. 

Â