Semi-Finals: BRZ GER NED ARG

limpid

Not a hard choice for me tonight. From the very beginning the Netherlands have been one of the teams I'd most like to win it and Argentina have been the team I've least wanted to win it.

• Like 3

Brazil captain David Luiz, who completed a £40m move from Chelsea to Paris St-Germain earlier this summer, issued an apology to his nation after the 7-1 defeat by Germany.

"Apologies to all the Brazilian people. I just wanted to see my people smile," he said.

"They were better than us, It's a very sad day but it's also a day from which to learn."

Well you sure did make us smile* David. Bravo

*Laugh uncontrollably 

The challenge for Germany now is to keep their feet on the ground and not get carried away by the sensationalism of the victory. But I don't think it will be a problem for those players. It's almost like they don't even need a manager. 

The Netherlands are going to win tonight, I'm sure of it. Key for Argentina however is to get Aguero to show his true form (if he plays) - if he does that then they could maybe do something.

I agree with a lot of that, but you don't mention that it's largely scolari's fault that costa defected.

Costa was as bad as Fred in the WC!

Brazil's problem was not Costa, or even Luiz to the extent that he is what he is, he's hardly an unknown quantity... It was that the manager choose to start with a back 2. It's not 1924, you can't play like that anymore Barca aside, but that itself was a fleeing glimpse into the past. They were able to keep the ball for 70 of the 90 and one of the 2 wasn't David Luiz.

Not only that, but they were set up to blitz. If you're going to be ballsy and play a back 2, you need to be patient with it. You need full backs with a mental age above 5 years old. And a semi final against Germany without your captain and the best centre back in the world is not the time to "give it a go".

NOT ONLY THAT, but as the goals went in he did absolutely NOTHING to change it. He hung them out to dry on the pitch last night. "Big" Phil shrunk under the pressure and his players and his country paid for it, I think he should be ashamed and embarrassed.

• Like 1

It would be an amazing achievement for Holland to get to the final. Distinctly average.

I think they will because they'll just stick 6 men on Messi and smack the ball long for Robben to chase and either score or win a penalty.

One could argue that Argentina are very average too...Just give the ball to Messi is their only tactic

It would be an amazing achievement for Holland to get to the final. Distinctly average.

I think they will because they'll just stick 6 men on Messi and smack the ball long for Robben to chase and either score or win a penalty.

One could argue that Argentina are very average too...Just give the ball to Messi is their only tactic

CED is just saying it to get a reaction... like pretty much all of his posts ;)

What a tactic. The team works so hard to allow him to shine, Holland are much more individualist.

Messi will win out tonight I think. 2-1

Brazil's problem was not Costa, or even Luiz to the extent that he is what he is, he's hardly an unknown quantity... It was that the manager choose to start with a back 2. It's not 1924, you can't play like that anymore Barca aside, but that itself was a fleeing glimpse into the past. They were able to keep the ball for 70 of the 90 and one of the 2 wasn't David Luiz.

Not only that, but they were set up to blitz. If you're going to be ballsy and play a back 2, you need to be patient with it. You need full backs with a mental age above 5 years old. And a semi final against Germany without your captain and the best centre back in the world is not the time to "give it a go".

NOT ONLY THAT, but as the goals went in he did absolutely NOTHING to change it. He hung them out to dry on the pitch last night. "Big" Phil shrunk under the pressure and his players and his country paid for it, I think he should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Excellent post. Leaving David Luiz to organize a defense is at best naive. 3-0 down or even 2-0 down they needed to regroup and get some discipline back which they didn't.

• Like 1