Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

Ideally, I want Gabby far away from the first team. He's an impact player at best. 5 great games a season is not enough to justify his current undropable status.

its about time someone noticed it.

What's the alternative? 5 great games = 6-15 points. Difference between saying up or going down.

Get someone in for a third of his wages that could do that.

Players who can do it once every other month are 10 a penny.

Who'd you go for to replace him then?

Ideally, I want Gabby far away from the first team. He's an impact player at best. 5 great games a season is not enough to justify his current undropable status.

its about time someone noticed it.
What's the alternative? 5 great games = 6-15 points. Difference between saying up or going down.

Get someone in for a third of his wages that could do that.

Players who can do it once every other month are 10 a penny.

You'd think so but I don't think they are. It's a tough league and a lot more is expected from Gabby because we know he is capable. He is shit for the majority of the season but I wouldn't say he is that bad that it's like playing with 10 men.

Replacing Gabby on the cheap is not the answer.

Just came across this Adrian Durham column from April last year. Don't have much time for him myself, but I think it sums up how a lot of people (fans and pundits alike) felt about Villa towards the end of last season (12/13) when we were widely seen as a team that tried to play football and one full of players who would really push on the season just gone.

We should all stand up and applaud what Paul Lambert is trying to achieve at Aston Villa. He has a team made up mainly of young players – eight of the starting XI at Stoke on Saturday are 23 years old or under, and six of those eight are English.

If you haven’t seen Villa this season, that’s a shame because this is a team that tries to play football.  

They keep the ball on the floor and pass it around. Unless it’s a clearance, they rarely hoof the ball aimlessly.

These young players have technique. Matthew Lowton scored one of the goals of the season with a beautiful chest and volley from 25 yards with Stoke’s hardest hatchet men charging at him. 

They’re brave. Nathan Baker took the ball full in the face from a fierce Kenwyne Jones blast. And carried on no problem.

And they’ve got character. Jordan Bowery started only his second Premier League game for Villa in that big relegation clash at Stoke.

All of these young players look calm and composed on the ball and, even better, they kept their heads up on Saturday. They had been by far the better side at Stoke, so when the home team equalised, heads might have dropped. But they didn’t and Villa hit back to win 3-1 with two late goals.

Heavy beatings at Chelsea and Man City have proved that it’s a project that has some way to go. Indeed, Aston Villa are still heavily involved in the relegation picture. Individual mistakes will happen with a young, growing team and those errors have cost Villa dear this season.

It would be a travesty if Villa were to go down, given the quality of the football they play. Aston Villa fans should feel proud of their club – it’s a model that every other club should try to emulate.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2306172/Adrian-Durham-Joey-Barton-Manchester-United-haters-Paul-Lambert-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz36MT2irMG 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What a difference a year makes eh? Players I thought would really push on, just seem to go backwards and as a team we played some of the worst 'football' I can remember in years.

But if a few of them players find some form again I don't think we've got too badder squad. I think/hope Cole will surprise a few people and bring something we've been missing. Grealish almost feels like a new signing too, he's an exciting talent that will try and play football the right way. 

Would this team, as a regular starting line-up, be so bad?

-----------Guzan-----------

-----Okore--Vlaar--Clark/Senderos

Bacuna--Delph--Westwood--N'Zogbia

------------Cole-------------

---Weimann/Gabby---Benteke/Kozak---

I'm thinking that Lambert will go three at the back when all his defenders are fit. I also think that N'Zogbia might get a wide left role because our other wide left players are poor quality.

Would this team, as a regular starting line-up, be so bad?

-----------Guzan-----------

-----Okore--Vlaar--Clark/Senderos

Bacuna--Delph--Westwood--N'Zogbia

------------Cole-------------

---Weimann/Gabby---Benteke/Kozak---

I'm thinking that Lambert will go three at the back when all his defenders are fit. I also think that N'Zogbia might get a wide left role because our other wide left players are poor quality.

Yes, it most certainly would, look at that left-hand side!!!

I think the squad is very poor.

We have a poor defensive unit. No strength in midfield and only one player we can rely on for regular goals.

I think this squad could be in real trouble this year.

Just came across this Adrian Durham column from April last year. Don't have much time for him myself, but I think it sums up how a lot of people (fans and pundits alike) felt about Villa towards the end of last season (12/13) when we were widely seen as a team that tried to play football and one full of players who would really push on the season just gone.

We should all stand up and applaud what Paul Lambert is trying to achieve at Aston Villa. He has a team made up mainly of young players – eight of the starting XI at Stoke on Saturday are 23 years old or under, and six of those eight are English.

If you haven’t seen Villa this season, that’s a shame because this is a team that tries to play football.

They keep the ball on the floor and pass it around. Unless it’s a clearance, they rarely hoof the ball aimlessly.

These young players have technique. Matthew Lowton scored one of the goals of the season with a beautiful chest and volley from 25 yards with Stoke’s hardest hatchet men charging at him.

They’re brave. Nathan Baker took the ball full in the face from a fierce Kenwyne Jones blast. And carried on no problem.

And they’ve got character. Jordan Bowery started only his second Premier League game for Villa in that big relegation clash at Stoke.

All of these young players look calm and composed on the ball and, even better, they kept their heads up on Saturday. They had been by far the better side at Stoke, so when the home team equalised, heads might have dropped. But they didn’t and Villa hit back to win 3-1 with two late goals.

Heavy beatings at Chelsea and Man City have proved that it’s a project that has some way to go. Indeed, Aston Villa are still heavily involved in the relegation picture. Individual mistakes will happen with a young, growing team and those errors have cost Villa dear this season.

It would be a travesty if Villa were to go down, given the quality of the football they play. Aston Villa fans should feel proud of their club – it’s a model that every other club should try to emulate.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2306172/Adrian-Durham-Joey-Barton-Manchester-United-haters-Paul-Lambert-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz36MT2irMG

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What a difference a year makes eh? Players I thought would really push on, just seem to go backwards and as a team we played some of the worst 'football' I can remember in years.

But if a few of them players find some form again I don't think we've got too badder squad. I think/hope Cole will surprise a few people and bring something we've been missing. Grealish almost feels like a new signing too, he's an exciting talent that will try and play football the right way.

The guy watches us for a couple of games and comes out with that shit! I'm all for hearing Villa be praised when it's deserved but come on!

It's these kind of short sighted bullshit reports that make it look like MON did a great job at Villa and we fell part because he left.

Edited by Amo69

We should all stand up and applaud what Paul Lambert is trying to achieve at Aston Villa. He has a team made up mainly of young players – eight of the starting XI at Stoke on Saturday are 23 years old or under, and six of those eight are English.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2306172/Adrian-Durham-Joey-Barton-Manchester-United-haters-Paul-Lambert-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz36MT2irMG 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It wasn't just the end of that season. We went through pre-season and into the start of last with the same momentum and then our style changed just like that. I'm still scratching my head thinking about it.

The squad we have isnt as a bad as many think. The problem lies with the formation and where players are playing, for example, Weimann, Kozak, Helenius, Benteke & Gabby are all strikers/finishers not wide players. And playing Gabby/Weimann in wider positions is basically cutting off a supply line for the finisher. A front line of N'Zogbia, Benteke, Albrighton would have been far more effective than a front line of Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. Purely because N'Zogbia and Albrighton can create, cross, dribble etc. Meaning Beneteke would be far more effective. The other issue we have is keeping the ball as a team. The midfield because we play 3 strikers is starved in every game. Lose the midfield battle and you very likely lose the game. All the top European sides only play with one recognised striker & the game becomes a midfield battle. Joe Cole is a good signing but how often will he get the ball? We cannot keep it in the middle as we dont have the players. Who is our strong midfield anchorman? Again we dont have one. In short our Goalkeeper, defence and attack is all good enough - but midfield is in desperate need of quality ball players/anchormen!

• Like 1

I think our best team is currently:

----------------------------Guzan-----------------------------

----Lowton--------Vlaar--------Okore-----Bennett-----

-------------------Westwood---Delph---------------------

------------------------Cole/Grealish----------------------

-----Bacuna/Zog-------Weimann-------Agbolahor---

With Benteke to come in obviously when fit. Personally I find Kozak a bit of a lump and lacking mobility but hope he proves me wrong.

We need full backs, a quality midfielder and a striker.

Defence isnt that bad if you count the amount of possession we allow the opposition. The biggest  problem area for me is that the midfield just cant control the game or keep the ball. Most times Vlaar, who likes to pass the ball has no outlet. The worry is that Okore likes to pass the ball too and unless we get a good anchorman I can see the same problems happening this coming season.

• Like 1

The defence let's in too many goals and we haven't got enough players capable of scoring consistently.

Two major issues in a squad that will result in struggle yet again.

An improvement in midfield could help in both those areas.

• Like 2

Â