Gordon Smith

TRO

Just heard some sad news of the passing of Gordon Smith

for the younger fans Gordon was a Scottish full back that played under Ron Saunders.

I was introduced to him by Andy Gray and we spent many nights out together, he was a lovely boy.

I am very saddened to hear this news and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

RIP Gordon and thanks for the memories.

Very sad to report that I have just heard that Gordon Smith who played for us between 1974-79 has passed away aged 59 :-(

Apologies mods please delete - just saw the other post!

Edited by MikeMcKenna

" A tidy player that never let us down" .  Sums him up perfectly IMO; but anyone who was there and thus fairly old, will never forget his brilliant run down the right wing and squaring the ball for Little (I think it was) to score the winner in the League Cup final against Everton at Old Trafford. God .... I wish we had the likes of him now !

So ... Aston Villa - why no mention last Saturday ?

" A tidy player that never let us down" .  Sums him up perfectly IMO; but anyone who was there and thus fairly old, will never forget his brilliant run down the right wing and squaring the ball for Little (I think it was) to score the winner in the League Cup final against Everton at Old Trafford. God .... I wish we had the likes of him now !

I was fortunate to be at Old Trafford that night although I don't remember the build up to the goal I do remember Little and Chris Nicholl scoring.

It might be a sympton of old age but am I right in thinking Smith once scored an own goal at White Hart Lane towards the end of his Villa career?

You can relive that run in the league cup final here, at 3.15 (although the whole clip is very enjoyable! - quite poor quality images, though)

You can relive that run in the league cup final here, at 3.15 (although the whole clip is very enjoyable! - quite poor quality images, though)

Great memories. Little, Gray and Deehan what a front 3 they were that season, For me Little was one of the best players we ever had. If it wasn't for injuries who knows what he might have achieved. Mortimer, Cropley, a young Cowans, Gidman as well. That was my favourite Villa team ever.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Great memories. Little, Gray and Deehan what a front 3 they were that season, For me Little was one of the best players we ever had. If it wasn't for injuries who knows what he might have achieved.

Totally agree. Little is my all time Villa hero. I used to love watching him play. Such a shame his playing career was cut short.
  • Like 1

Great memories. Little, Gray and Deehan what a front 3 they were that season, For me Little was one of the best players we ever had. If it wasn't for injuries who knows what he might have achieved.

Totally agree. Little is my all time Villa hero. I used to love watching him play. Such a shame his playing career was cut short.

I think i was about 8 when I saw the 72 FA Youth cup winning team. Little, Gidman, Bobby Macdonald, our youngest ever footballer Jimmy Brown 15 when he made his villa debut, 

• Like 1

Â