Gordon Smith

TRO

Agreed re. Brian Little and that 72 team; didn't we play Blues in the semi-final - when they had that diving, git who needs his adenoids doing !

I think I saw Brian Little's first team debut  - against Torquay - in tandem with Andy Lochead. Might be wrong though.

He now works with Chasetown.

I was at Chasetown when they had their official Opening game for the Scholors against the Villa Youth Team and our Brian was the manager.  They had a player called Tony Dorigo in their ranks.  This I know cause after getting his autograph I went back up and said who are you :)

That was the first time I was in the know about the Villa as well.  I was doing an interview with some one from the council and it had just been confirmed about the match and he asked me who do you support before telling me about the game.

Agreed re. Brian Little and that 72 team; didn't we play Blues in the semi-final - when they had that diving, git who needs his adenoids doing !

I think I saw Brian Little's first team debut  - against Torquay - in tandem with Andy Lochead. Might be wrong though.

Wow, yes, well-remembered about the Torquay game. I was there and I think he scored, didn't he? Think he may have had a sub appearance earlier in the season.

I see the OS posted an obit yesterday.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3753715,00.html

News
0,,10265~8860757,00.gif

Villa saddened by death of former defender Gordon Smith
Gordon Smith RIP.
7th Apr 2014

0,,10265~12737822,00.jpg

Everyone at the club was saddened to learn of the passing of our former left-back Gordon Smith, who has died at the age of 59.

Born in Glasgow, Smith played for his local club Partick Thistle before joining Villa for £80,000 in the summer of 1976.

He made his debut in a 4-0 home win over West Ham on the opening day of the season.

He went on to make a total of 96 league and cup appearances.

The last of them was in a 1-0 win at Chelsea in December 1978.

A Scotland U23 international, he subsequently joined Tottenham Hotspur before moving to Wolves in 1982.

Smith went on as a sub in extra-time in the 1977 League Cup final second replay against Everton at Old Trafford.

In fact, it was his cross that led to Brian Liittle's late winner.

RIP Gordon Smith.

Really sad news about the death of Gordon Smith. I can see him now in that League Cup Final 2nd replay against pass the ball back Everton crossing the ball for Brian Little to get the winner.Not the greatest left back i have ever seen, but far better than anyone we have at the moment.RIP Gordon 

Was it Blues we played in the semis Veloman or was it earlier we played them? I know Francis was in the Blues team and maybe Burns. Can only remember the Liverpool two legged final tbf

Did both Little and Gidman make their debuts in the same game?  Anybody remember Frank Pimblett, not from that youth team but made his debut at Norwich in 75 and was brilliant but then never played for us again. 

^^^^^

Hmm - not sure. Thought it was the semis but couldn't swear to it. The match was advertised as a one on one between Jimmy Brown and diving git - which Brown won !

Yep Frank Pimblett; have a nasty feeling  he was a little too keen on the odd social drink and didn't train properly; or at least to Sir Ron's standards . Great potential too.

• Like 1

" A tidy player that never let us down" .  Sums him up perfectly IMO; but anyone who was there and thus fairly old, will never forget his brilliant run down the right wing and squaring the ball for Little (I think it was) to score the winner in the League Cup final against Everton at Old Trafford. God .... I wish we had the likes of him now !

So ... Aston Villa - why no mention last Saturday ?

You can relive that run in the league cup final here, at 3.15 (although the whole clip is very enjoyable! - quite poor quality images, though)

" and Villa prove once again, that they never give up".......a mentality that is just a distant memory for us,and a maxim that Alex Ferguson built his dynasty upon at Man Utd

• Like 1

Was it Blues we played in the semis Veloman or was it earlier we played them? I know Francis was in the Blues team and maybe Burns. Can only remember the Liverpool two legged final tbf

Did both Little and Gidman make their debuts in the same game?  Anybody remember Frank Pimblett, not from that youth team but made his debut at Norwich in 75 and was brilliant but then never played for us again. 

yes I remember him well....Had a little session with him in the "Red House" Solihull one Sunday Lunch with Andy Gray....knew him quite well.

Sad news. His grandfather won the Scottish Cup with Partick in 1921 and he lifted the League Cup with us 56 years later.

A solid defender who played his part in the exciting team that Ron built for the late 70s and played 4 times for Scotland U23s.

Gordon joined us after we had ended our first season back in the top flight 16th. We were then 4th and 8th in the following 2 seasons during which he made 85 appearances before moving to Spurs the following season.

My thoughts are with his family at this sad time. Holte Ender In The Sky!   

Yes PaulC i remember Frank Pimblett very well.I thought he was going to be a good player. Like someone mentioned on here earlier, he liked a drink or two. My friends and i use to see him along with another promising youngster Bobby Campbell and a few other youth team players in the city centre most weekends and more often than not they were drunk .Was probably the main  reason Ron Suanders got rid of them

Yes, it was a great time to be supporting the Villa

Yes it was a more level playing field though!

don't really agree with that.....just think we had 3 incredible staff in Saunders, Barton & McLaren.....that made it look easy to find cheap talent and blend it.

Liverpool were still powerful and Arsenal and Ipswich were riddled with talent.

We still had the powerful clubs buying all the best talent, just different amounts of money and some different names.....Man Utd could still out bid us even in them days, its just that we have dropped a number of rungs now....mainly due to lack of talent spotting.

Edited by TRO

Â