Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

French International Gomis signs with Swansea of a free. Would have been a good pick-up for us.

We're going to hear this a lot this summer. Temping a player to join us over most other premier league teams is going to be very difficult IMO. Our best bet is players no other teams in this country are interested in, i.e. Cole and Senderos.

What was it our old chief scout said a few years back, if you're finding new players at a World Cup you're doing it wrong, he was at the French U19 invitational tournament that summer instead (Toulon?)

FWIW I agree with the sentiment, I'd hope we already knew who the likes of origi were before they'd kicked a ball in Brazil

What was it our old chief scout said a few years back, if you're finding new players at a World Cup you're doing it wrong, he was at the French U19 invitational tournament that summer instead (Toulon?)

FWIW I agree with the sentiment, I'd hope we already knew who the likes of origi were before they'd kicked a ball in Brazil

Well Salifou shows what he knows!

Weren't we 'linked' with Depay (dutch wonder kid at PSV - scored two goals this world cup) last summer or january??

Wish this was true now.

Yeah i can't remember where i saw this sorry - i swear i saw a shitty link about it. He's had a quality season and now he's gone and impressed at the world cup. I remember being excited when i saw the name because i'd heard of him before - but literally no chance we were gunna get him. Even less chance now. PSV have some crazy talent. 

Edit - obviously the link was bollocks haha!

Edited by tomh621

Weren't we 'linked' with Depay (dutch wonder kid at PSV - scored two goals this world cup) last summer or january??

Wish this was true now.

Yeah i can't remember where i saw this sorry - i swear i saw a shitty link about it. He's had a quality season and now he's gone and impressed at the world cup. I remember being excited when i saw the name because i'd heard of him before - but literally no chance we were gunna get him. Even less chance now. PSV have some crazy talent. 

I remember there was a thread on here - makes me sad when I see his name plastered everywhere after performances for the Netherlands.

Wish this was true now.

I remember there was a thread on here - makes me sad when I see his name plastered everywhere after performances for the Netherlands.

Lambert wanted him but his wage demands were out of our price range, if memory serves me right. I'm sure I saw a quote from Lambert saying something like "This kid's got bags of talent and is one day going to be a star but, I've spoken with the owner about the lad's wage demands and Mr Lerner said that he couldn't afford de pay".

• Like 1

Wish this was true now.

Well Depay has been talked about for some time, scoring at the wc at that young age just adds fuel. We would have never gotten him, not in our state anyway.

I wonder if any team will spend less than us on transfer fees this window? If we're not taken over then I can't see it.

I think That could depend on who/ if we sell any players of value

We only have 2 players of any value this window. Even selling them I think we'd still spend a lot less than most teams.

I hope to God that we don't sell Vlaar, much as I don't rate him, at least he's a one eyed man in the land of the blind.

Just summoned the courage to look at our fixtures, I am dreading next season. Our best hope is keeping who we have, getting the crocs back playing and making the most of the full list of players on the payroll.

If only I trusted Lambert to get the most out of them. I have learned to hate MON (fair play he could see this coming), and never thought I would say this, but how I wish he was in charge of next season and the players we now have.