Gaming 2014

Dodgyknees

Yeah, thanks for sharing that - a really interesting read - if somewhat depressing as it's quite a clear look into the inner workings of the gaming industry (one that's even more rotten as it appeared to be from all the rumours floating about).

Makes you wonder if the 80's crash of video gaming will happen again mind - at least in terms of bringing a couple of big publishers down - though there's plenty of "indie" developers to quickly fill that void of endless copy 'n' paste shooters / sandbox adventure games.

Edit - Didn't realise that was from the Metro's gaming department - and there was me thinking they just scoured twitter reddit and digg for the content of tomorrow's paper!

Edited by CardiffGreens

Edit - Didn't realise that was from the Metro's gaming department - and there was me thinking they just scoured twitter reddit and digg for the content of tomorrow's paper!

What is now known as Metro's Gaming section has a very long and storied history.

Did you ever read Digitiser on C4 teletext? Gaming news, reviews, inbox, and bizarre humour that was utterly unique at a time when home interneting was in its infancy.

Basically when Digi finished it turned into Game Central. It was more serious in content, but still pretty essential reading for an unbiased view on things.

When teletext was closing, they needed a new home. It was unlikely that they would set up their own site, so it seemed as though GC would simply vanish. Some how, and I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but they ended up on Metro. I believe they have a little section in the Friday printed version? But it's updated daily online. Indispensable news source for me, the community is still going strong after all these years too.

• Like 1

I've been playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin over the past few days. Probably the best RPG I've played since Baldur's Gate. Multiple ways to complete every quest, massively varied skills, any character can do pretty much anything, and a damn good, well written story.  It's one of those that aside from a few fundamental peices of the main story it feels like you could play it a few times and rarely repeat the same steps.

The thing I love about it is it just does not hold your hand, at all. You're rarely told exactly where to go, or what to do, the quests mostly require you to be paying attention and to think your way through it. I'm not pretending you need to be a genius to get through the quests, it's just a nice contrast to most RPGs these days that tell you to go to a place that's highlighted on your map, and kill the guy with a big arrow over his head.

The combat is...interesting. You can just stand there and stab a guy to death with your party, or you can teleport him in to a puddle and eletrocute him, or throw some oil on the floor, set it on fire, and shoot arrows through it to make him burn.

Picked it up today, played about an hour or so.

Yep, so far it's good. Very good actually.

Thanks hogso for posting that. A really good read. A bit depressing as it basically confirms what we already knew about the game industry as true but it was also uplifting as it shows legends like lanning are trying to overturn the ridiculous monopolies scum like EA & Acti have over the industry.

Edited by Ingram85

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Divinity for £18, absolutely loving it, on par with Baldurs gate for me.

I was worried the combat was going to be diablo styled but the turn based combat is alot of fun.

Edited by Bradd92
  • Like 1

Electronic Arts earnings surge 51%

US video game publisher Electronic Arts (EA) has reported a 51% jump in profit for the April-to-June quarter, boosted by strong sales of titles like Titanfall and FIFA 2014.

Net profit rose to $335m (£196m) for the period, up from $222m a year ago,

EA has also benefitted from the launch of gaming consoles, which has driven up demand for its video game titles.

However, the firm said it was delaying the launch of its title Battlefield Hardline from October to early 2015.

Meanwhile, its full game PC and console downloads were up 90% from a year ago to $71m.

surse

Vile. And with sales like that, which from a business perspective means they are doing exactly the right things, they won't be changing their ways any time soon. I can only imagine what they will try to do next to leech more money from the consumer, seeing as things like the utter bullshit that is Ultimate Team on FIFA are working very well. Use of real world money to purchase in game items should be banned.

I see EA have also announced a Premium subscription for Sims 4 which will have "exclusive items". 

No doubt the exclusive items will be the stuff that was dropped from the main game like swimming pools.

Dropped about thirty hours into Divinity now. It's GOTY material for me. Love it.

This is the only game I've played for the last few weeks now. I've got two men at arms with the zombie talent, and a maxed out geomancer who drops poison everywhere to heal them, very fun.

The one thing that stops this being my favourite game of the year is its insistence on having "puzzles". And they're all awful. Hiding a tiny button in a dark corner with no clues of where it is located is not a bloody puzzle. Having said that, I do really enjoy that they don'tjust stick quest markers everywhere. It's a difficult balancing act between hand holding and being needlessly obtuse, and generally I think they've got it right...Apart from those damn hidden switches.

Another infuriating thing is when you're walking along, minding your own business, and come across something you can interact with, say a disturbed patch of ground you can dig up, or a button you can press, so you do, and guess what? Instant death for your entire party. Why? Because **** you. That's just damn bad design, in my opinion.

But despite that I'm still having a lot of fun. 50 hours in so far, and as soon as I'm done, I'll be jumping back in to a new game with another party composition, I'm tempted to try a full stealth group.

Edited by Davkaus

The story is really good and the single player mode has enough variety that you'll be playing for hours and hours. That alone is worth the price tag in my opinion. I've had the game since it came out and never even played the multiplayer, but I spent a good chunk of time on the solo campaign. Definitely worth it.

• Like 1

The story is really good and the single player mode has enough variety that you'll be playing for hours and hours. That alone is worth the price tag in my opinion. I've had the game since it came out and never even played the multiplayer, but I spent a good chunk of time on the solo campaign. Definitely worth it.

I think I know who to go to for any gaming recommendations haha!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...