Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

It is a ridiculous statement and in explaining why i'll be succinct.

Why is any manager sacked? Why does your respective chairman then employ another manager?

I can understand why like other posters I've posed the same question to, you would find it tedious to address the most important stat of all and not want to answer it and then focus on 'goal difference.'

Any manager is sacked due to under performing in their role.  Lambert isn't doing this.  The football may be awful at the moment, but the team is not under performing.

You're right - let's ignore goal difference and focus on the most important stat of all - 11th in the Premier League table.  Not a sackable offence homie.

Why is any manager sacked? Why does your respective chairman then employ another manager?

I can understand why like other posters I've posed the same question to, you would find it tedious to address the most important stat of all and not want to answer it and then focus on 'goal difference.'

Any manager is sacked due to under performing in their role.  Lambert isn't doing this.  The football may be awful at the moment, but the team is not under performing.

You're right - let's ignore goal difference and focus on the most important stat of all - 11th in the Premier League table.  Not a sackable offence homie.

Lambert is not under performing??? Then where has the football gone from the end of last season, begining of this season. ya know when we were a entertaining team to watch a winning team

Mate I could quote you so many stats in reply to that or make reference to so many performances/results this season but if you honestly think we've improved from last season then good luck.

Your performance / results stats are irrelevant as the stats that matter show we've improved.

More points, scored more, conceeded less.

• Like 2

Any manager is sacked due to under performing in their role. Lambert isn't doing this. The football may be awful at the moment, but the team is not under performing.

You're right - let's ignore goal difference and focus on the most important stat of all - 11th in the Premier League table. Not a sackable offence homie.

Lambert is not under performing??? Then where has the football gone from the end of last season, begining of this season. ya know when we were a entertaining team to watch a winning team

The sesults have improved! You want entertainment then go to the cinema. Its a results driven business, do you think I'd be more happy leaving a game that wed lost 4-3 that was great entertainment or one we'd won1-0 with just one shot on goal.

At the end of the day the result is what matters.

I've never heard of a manager being sacked for not entertaining the fans.

Any manager is sacked due to under performing in their role. Lambert isn't doing this. The football may be awful at the moment, but the team is not under performing.

You're right - let's ignore goal difference and focus on the most important stat of all - 11th in the Premier League table. Not a sackable offence homie.

The sesults have improved! You want entertainment then go to the cinema. Its a results driven business, do you think I'd be more happy leaving a game that wed lost 4-3 that was great entertainment or one we'd won1-0 with just one shot on goal.

McLeish kept us up with a shit team. Got sacked for god awful football an dropping attendances

Did you see saturdays result?

It is an entertainment though. That's why millions of people pay to watch the game.

As for managers not been sacked for failing to entertain, there have been numerous occasions..

Madrid sacked many managers even when they won the title as they weren't playing entertaining football. Mourinho first time at Chelsea same reason. Hell even megson at Bolton did.

Did you see saturdays result?

Having our first shot in the 70th something minute against a league one side is great stuff

Ha! You're the one  with the 'Go to the cinema' chestnut of a post.

Football's an entertainment industry. It's why it became popular in the first place FFS, otherwise we'd all be posting endless shite about badger-bating or whatever else turns you on.

If you want results without entertainment why don't you go and take an HIV test?

• Like 1

No please stick to the point. You said it wasn't in Lambert's remit to make the squad better so if that was the case why then sack the previous manager?

Using that type of logic why change the manager with no remit to improve squad and results. Hopefully you'll now see how ridiculous your point is.

Lastly one or two other posters have used current league position as an indicator which is fine and when that fluctuated they then changed to away form and then back again ignoring the overall result stat under Lambert. Over our next set of fixtures I'll come back to you and see if you are still as keen to use current league position to judge Lambert's performance.

• Like 1

You are right it is a results business and currently under Lambert we've won 12 out of 49 games winning only two of our home games this season.

I also agree with with entertainment quote because presently under Lambert we'd get more entertainment at a cinema.

• Like 1

If you're saying it's a results business and you want him gone, where would you realistically like Lambert to have us in the league at the moment?

Where we end up is currently completely hypothetical and surely everything up to this point has been in getting us to midtable. Something we'd have taken for January 2014 if offered 18 months ago.

Would anyone have taken our current league status & position prior to the 6-1 thrashing of Sunderland last season? How terrifying was that?

There does exist improvement & the stats prove it.

What hasn't improved is the patience of a lot of the fans.

Paul Lambert still needs time & lots of it.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

I think it is a problem for him that most of his "results" happen away from home.  Villa's home form is abysmal - only Sunderland have done worse in the league and even they have scored 3 more home goals than us. Two wins, eight points and seven goals is very thin gruel for the 30,000+ fans who turn up to every home match and I think that is what sparks the increasing booing at home games.

In addition, we have delivered lame exits from both cup competitions at home. The Sunderland fans will be a bit more cheered that they have just seen United go down 2-1 at the SofL.

People can quote all the comparative statistics they like relating to last season's performance (personally I don't think the fact that we are doing moderately better than the disastrous first half of last year's season is much to boast about) and they can shout until they are blue in the face that we are eleventh but while such desperately poor football is being served up at Villa Park, I think Mr Lambert's job may be at greater risk than he or his advocates imagine.

• Like 2

Help me get this straight in my head:

For Lambert

- Results have improved compared last season

- Wage bill trimmed

- Players have a resell value (or, at least, don't constitute a huge loss)

- 18 months into a 5 year rebuild

Against Lambert

- Performances have been poor

- Formation/tactics/substitutions poor

- Squad confidence low

Is that about right? Or too simplistic?

• Like 1

couple of points - the fact that lambert is now looking for one or two experienced players to me means nothing like admitting failure. if anything, i would say it was progress. when he came in, he needed to rebuild the squad within the constraints of a very tight budget with players with reasonable (low salaries) that would hold or improve their resale value, while seeing off a number of other players who were highly paid salary-wise, and were worth a fraction of what they were brought in for.

we now have a squad full of young players hungry to make a name for themselves and likely to enhance value during their time at villa.  that squad kept us up last season and started this season well, although has ryally struggled in the absence of vlaar, and the loss of form of weimann and benteke.

from that base, PL is now able to look at his squad and say, how do i now improve this squad - one of the answers to that is bringing in one or two more 'experienced' players. bobzy got it bang on when he said that experience leads to consistency. what was killing us in many of our games was the odd stupid mistake, or the five or ten minute period when heads dropped. adding a couple of wise heads will help our younger players develop this over time played.

another solution is to find that creative 'no 10' midfielder - another area of focus that he clearly has at the moment.

a youth policy or buy cheap policy doesn't mean you are stuck with that forever - the team evolves and so should the manager's view of how to improve it... seems to me that is exactly what he is trying to do...

my second point relates to the fact that we are currently shit and therefore lambert should go. if we look at the shining lights over the good parts that we played last season and this - benteke, delph, vlaar, westwood, lowton, bringing through weimann, baker, clark - all of those happened since lambert joined us. those players have all been good and shit at various stages, which really is what i expect of younger players - consistency is developing over time with some, and maybe not so much with others....

my view is simply that we need to acknowledge the good he has brought out of these players equally with the bad that they all show from time to time...

PL - still the man for the job in my opinion...

• Like 1

Rodiga - You'll have to explain how it wouldn't have made more sense to buy some experienced players at the start, thus maybe helping us avoid the relegation battle last season and the crisis of poor form we have been experiencing this autumn/winter.

Can't see it's exactly a masterstroke to watch a team of untried youngsters struggle for a season and a half and then conclude what is needed is more experience.

• Like 2