Football winter break, will it ever happen?

Jimzk5

Its that time of year again when players and managers start moaning that the British leagues should follow the rest of Europes top leagues & have 4 weeks off between mid December and mid January, today I've read and seen interviews from gus poyet and Craig Bellamy advocating a break, saying that its difficult for players to recover between games and the England national team suffer because players are knackered when it comes to tournaments (England being rubbish at football isnt the reason were shit at tournaments then?)

I'm totally against the idea of Christmas without football, spending time with the family is bad enough if you don't have some football to look forward too, and lets face it, it wouldn't be Christmas without watching Aston villa lose on boxing day, would it?

• Like 1

I'd also miss the matches over Christmas. Which leagues have the four-week break? I'm watching the Milan derby at the moment so I'm guessing Serie A must have a short break.

On average its a 14 day break, sometimes it can be as much as 4 weeks I read, Hamburg last season played on December 15th and didn't play again until January 20th

No winter break thank you very much.   Using the "ooh, it will help us in Europe/the national team/your children sleep at night" argument is spurious.  They want a winter break so they can have money spinning tours to the far east or North America. 

Why do people always assume a winter break has to happen over xmas out of interest? Surely it's a bit dangerous to wipe out 4 fixtures in this period meaning you'd have to fit them in at sometime other in the season which is dangerous given how congested the calendar already is and the risk of bad weather striking later in the season.

I say yes to a winter break but right after the fa cup 3rd round for two weeks. In that period you miss one round of premier league games (start the season a week early or fit another midweek round in), carling cup semis (play them in February) and 3rd round replays which you could play on resumption.

The lower leagues would just carry on as normal so I'm sure would mean attendances boosts for people who want their football fix.

It just amuses me people automatically assume a winter break has to happen over xmas when mid of January is more logical for the way the English season operates.

• Like 2

yep, would be interesting to see where in the far east the likes of man utd would play a one off game if they got 4 weeks off...

none of them moan that they play the extra CL games, they could also look at an 18 team prem which a couple of other european leagues do

would mean 2-4 weeks of no football when most of us have time off over christmas and more mid week away games, dont see why any fan would want it personally

Don't say it too loudly, the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United would love an 18 team Premier League so they don't have to bother playing some of the oiks who are at the bottom of the table. 

Yes to me it's logical after playing half a season and then having  heavy period of 5 games in 15 days or whatever it usually is it should be natural to have a bit of a breather.

I too really enjoy the xmas football period even if we're usually hopeless in it! Just great to have games pretty much every day at unusual times for about a week.

Â