Midweek football 9/12 December

andykeenan

Pellegrini looks like the real deal in Europe.

Didn't know Man C needed one more goal to top the group, hence why he took off Dzeko for Rodwell and left Aguero on the bench :lol:

BBC reckon he wasn't aware they needed one more, which is quite funny.. Although in his defence last night a lot of the commentators seemed to think they needed a 3 goal win.

Pellegrini looks like the real deal in Europe.

Didn't know Man C needed one more goal to top the group, hence why he took off Dzeko for Rodwell and left Aguero on the bench :lol:

BBC reckon he wasn't aware they needed one more, which is quite funny.. Although in his defence last night a lot of the commentators seemed to think they needed a 3 goal win.

I was about to say the same thing. A lot of the media outlets poking fun at him over this were saying themselves that City needed to win by three.

A minor; but I feel a salient; point ... it's not the meeja's job to know what's best for Man Citeh.  It is precisely Pellegrini's job, so he really should have known, even if others didn't.

Having said that, it's a little disappointing that it almost seems to be outshining what was an away victory at Bayern Munich.  Which is a remarkable achievement.

I've never really seen a big issue with finishing 1st or 2nd in the group.

If you can't beat the best teams then it doesn't really matter when you get them on the way to the final.

Since 2005 only two of the sixteen Champions League finalists qualified from their groups as runners up. You can argue correlation vs causation there, but it's a damning statistic.

A minor; but I feel a salient; point ... it's not the meeja's job to know what's best for Man Citeh. It is precisely Pellegrini's job, so he really should have known, even if others didn't.

Having said that, it's a little disappointing that it almost seems to be outshining what was an away victory at Bayern Munich. Which is a remarkable achievement.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I just think you forfeit the right to be smug about it if your media outlet happened to make the same mistake.

I think that's where we disagree.  It's perfectly reasonable to point the finger at someone whose job it was to know something when they didn't know it, if it wasn't your job to know it and you didn't.  IMHO.

But it's the media's job to know too, they have a lot less to lose in this situation but if they claim to be into journalism rather than punditry then being accurate is pretty important. All that said, we don't know if City would have scored again had they gone for it. They may have even conceded.

Furry muff.  You have a point. I do think the meeja could say "oops we didn't realise soz" whereas Pellegrini doesn't (and shouldn't) have that option.  Obviously we can't know the consequences of going for the extra goal as you say.

I've never really seen a big issue with finishing 1st or 2nd in the group.

If you can't beat the best teams then it doesn't really matter when you get them on the way to the final.

Since 2005 only two of the sixteen Champions League finalists qualified from their groups as runners up. You can argue correlation vs causation there, but it's a damning statistic.

Yes but you would expect that wouldn't you, the best teams win the thing and the best teams also win their group. If Man City can't beat whoever they get next round then they don't deserve to win the comp.

If, for arguments sake, Man City are the 2nd best team behind Bayern then the two will most likely meet again in the final anyway.

Yes but you would expect that wouldn't you, the best teams win the thing and the best teams also win their group. If Man City can't beat whoever they get next round then they don't deserve to win the comp.

If, for arguments sake, Man City are the 2nd best team behind Bayern then the two will most likely meet again in the final anyway.

All he's saying is that the 'big issue with finishing 1st or 2nd in the group' is that historically it enormously influences your chances of getting to the final.  The whys and the wherefores are up for discussion, but thems the cold facts.

Â