Midweek football 9/12 December

andykeenan

Celtic getting a bit of a pasting this evening.  6-0 down at Barcelona, Neymar has a hat trick. 

Arsenal losing 1-0 away at Napoli. Arteta has been sent off. Arsenal still top of the group ahead of Napoli (12 points each) due to a superior head to head record.  Dortmund drawing 1-1 with Marseille. Dortmund will go through at Napoli's expense if they score a late winner. Marseille have had a player sent off too. 

Chelsea winning, but they had qualified from their group after four games. 

Edited by The_Rev

Dortmund with a late goal!  Napoli fans have realised and the the atmosphere has gone mental.  Napoli have been keeping the ball since they scored the first and haven't tried to get any more.  Dortmund now going through as group winners if nothing changes. 

Napoli make it 2-0 with the last kick of the game.  Too little too late.  They have to look at Benitez for being so cautious when they were 1-0 up against ten men.   Germany shitting on Italy's coefficient further, Serie A doesn't look like it's getting four Champions League spots back any time soon. 

Arsenals screw up has helped City a bit. Dortmund are now added to the list of sides they can play along with Real, Barca, Madrid, and PSG. As for arsenal, they have the same list of potential opponents except Bayern instead of Dortmund, they've really messed up badly with todays result. 

Edited by Rovers13

Napoli away is a difficult fixture, especially when Wenger has one eye on Man City in the league this Sunday. They essentially got pipped to second play on away goals by last seasons finalists.  I think you are being a bit harsh. 

Napoli away is a difficult fixture, especially when Wenger has one eye on Man City in the league this Sunday. They essentially got pipped to second play on away goals by last seasons finalists.  I think you are being a bit harsh. 

If he really had one eye on City on Sunday then that's a mistake. The difference between first and second is huge, just qualifying helps financially a bit but they're going to get a brutal draw. Yes Napoli away is difficult, but with their side they definitely could've gotten a better result. Arteta in particular screwed up, and if Benitez didn't take Napoli's foot off the gas then it might have been worse. 

Exactly and they are still through and if they are going to get anywhere in the tournament they will have to beat the better sides anyway. Its just means they have a tougher last 16!

Its going to be tough them having to play city saturday lunchtime having only rested Ramsey for most of the game and Wilshere. 

I think they will spend in January.  They know the Premier League title is there for the taking and if I were Wenger then that would be my #1 priority.  I think they might even make an offer for Berbatov, he could be exactly what they need at the moment. 

Napoli away is a difficult fixture, especially when Wenger has one eye on Man City in the league this Sunday. They essentially got pipped to second play on away goals by last seasons finalists. I think you are being a bit harsh.

Exactly and they are still through and if they are going to get anywhere in the tournament they will have to beat the better sides anyway. Its just means they have a tougher last 16!

Its going to be tough them having to play city saturday lunchtime having only rested Ramsey for most of the game and Wilshere.

Yes, but the odds you lose to bayern are higher than the odds you lose to Zenit. Obviously you're going to have to beat great sides, but the fewer you have to play the better chance you have of winning.

Or on the other hand, almost certainly available, experienced, classy. Plays in a position Arsenal have a lack of cover in. Probably prepared to play a bit part role. Not cup tied.  Should be cheap as he only has six months left at Fulham. It's a perfect short term signing. I'd seriously consider giving him an 18 month deal. 

I don't know if Berbatov would fit Arsenal. He can't do the job giroud does because he doesn't work hard enough. Walcott isn't getting a look in at the moment. If Arsenal are looking to win the league and progress in the champions league they need to set their sights higher than Berbatov. A possible return for RVP. An increased bid for Suarez. 

Edited by PaulC

Â