2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

I didn't know about that Nigeria one. But looking at their performance in that game after playing so well at the start of the tournament, it makes sense.

One of the player mentioned about it in some documentary, might've been one episode in History of Football boxset. Game between Denmark and Nigeria who actually put proper effort would've been amazing to watch. I think that gives pretty good implication about the motivation by the players if they played shit on purpose because of some bonus money.

Nigeria-Spain in 98 remains one of my favourite world cup matches, quality winner from Sunday Oliesh.

Nigeria were really good in the group stages and Denmark just hammered them.

Last time Nigeria had a decent team in fairness, the squads they put out nowadays just look really poor, same for Cameroon.

I didn't know about that Nigeria one. But looking at their performance in that game after playing so well at the start of the tournament, it makes sense.

One of the player mentioned about it in some documentary, might've been one episode in History of Football boxset. Game between Denmark and Nigeria who actually put proper effort would've been amazing to watch. I think that gives pretty good implication about the motivation by the players if they played shit on purpose because of some bonus money.

I heard a story from Lagerback about Nigeria in 2010 when he was there manager. If I remember correctly they refused to train until the Nigerian FA made some promises about the financial compensation. 

France 2010 - player strike.

France's chaotic World Cup campaign is in disarray after the players boycotted training in support of Nicolas Anelka, who was sent home yesterday for a row with coach Raymond Domenech. 

France were last in their group of Uruguay, Mexico, South Africa.

Argentina or Brazil to win due to the climate.

Dropping tevez and pairing higuain, messi and aguero with di Maria deeper has worked wonders.

Chile have two tough European sides to face, a kinder draw could've seen them do well, think they will progress out of group but then lose to brazil.

Edited by mikeyp102

Dropping tevez and pairing higuain, messi and aguero with di Maria deeper has worked wonders.

Chile have two tough European sides to face, a kinder draw could've seen them do well, think they will progress out of group but then lose to brazil.

Argentina's defence is suspect. Zabaleta and Garay are the only good defenders.

Argentina's defence is suspect. Zabaleta and Garay are the only good defenders.

It is but then Mascherano does a goo job holding for them.

It's no coincidence that only south American teams have won tournaments in south America. It's too hard to acclimatise for everyone else. The attacking threat of Argentina will carry them far.

France are a weird World Cup team. In the past 4 they either made the final or didn't make it out of the groups.

2010 can be explained because they didn't have Zidane. Zidane and Henry were present 1998, 2002, 2006, and only Henry was present 2010. 

why flunk in 2002? they had Zidane and Henry and didn't score a goal. maybe it was because Henry wasn't played as a striker until he signed for Arsenal? teams figured out how to nullify the threat. that and they didn't have Laurent Blanc at CB. That wouldn't affect the goalscoring but it would have unsettled the team and made them easier to beat.

Henry played as a striker in Arsenals double winning 01/02 season and in that world cup. They flopped in 2002 because of arrogance and complacency after winning the previous 2 tournaments. Leboeuf even said that

They flopped in 2010 because of internal rifts within the camp, and inept management from Domenech.

Henry played as a striker in Arsenals double winning 01/02 season and in that world cup. They flopped in 2002 because of arrogance and complacency after winning the previous 2 tournaments. Leboeuf even said that

They flopped in 2010 because of internal rifts within the camp, and inept management from Domenech.

I got my dates mixed up. When I posted that I somehow misread the table on wikipedia thought he was still at Juventus.

Arrogance and complacency in 2002... unsatisfactory explanation. Great teams are often arrogant, but also hard-working. What made them complacent? Maybe like 2010 there was some conflict within the camp.

Looking back, Zidane didn't play in the first 2 games through injury, Pires missed the tournament through injury and Henry got sent off 25 minutes into the 2nd game. Still no excuse for not scoring a goal, but that sort of explains a few problems.

• Like 1

I got my dates mixed up. When I posted that I somehow misread the table on wikipedia thought he was still at Juventus.

Arrogance and complacency in 2002... unsatisfactory explanation. Great teams are often arrogant, but also hard-working. What made them complacent? Maybe like 2010 there was some conflict within the camp.

Sometimes good teams just play shit. No reason or mitigating circumstances. It just happens

• Like 1

You mean picking teams based on star signs isn't the way forward?

Looking back, Zidane didn't play in the first 2 games through injury, Pires missed the tournament through injury and Henry got sent off 25 minutes into the 2nd game. Still no excuse for not scoring a goal, but that sort of explains a few problems.

No Zidane. That explains it. In the third game he probably wasn't fully fit.

Teams that reach the finals of World Cup have world class players, and in most finals the winner has one world class player in at least 3 key positions of defensive CB, creative CM, scoring FW, and  GK.

It's more difficult to evaluate the relative abilities of players at the older World Cups because the domestic leagues were highly segregated. In bold is my evaluation of World Class-ness for the last 10 world cups.

2010 - Spain

GK - Casillas

CB - Puyol 

CM - Xavi / Iniesta / Silva

FW - Villa

2006 - Italy

GK - Buffon

CB - Cannavaro

CM - Pirlo

FW - Totti

2002 - Brazil

GK  - Marcos