Foreign teams influenced by the villa

leemond2008

I don't know if I am making this up but I was sure that someone who doesn't play in claret and blue (I thought it could possibly have been juventus) decided to play in striped shirts because the villa did at the time, I don't know where I heard this or if it is true so I could well be talking absolute rubbish but it anyone could confirm or deny this is would be much appreciated.

Also if there are any other clubs outside of England who have been influenced by us you could mention them in here.

There's a little-known fact that Villa used to play in black before one day Sir Willy McGregory saw the mighty West Ham United playing in their now famous claret & blue colours. Willy was so impressed that he offered the then chairman the Cadbury's chocolate factory in exchange for some of their spare kits.

The rest as they say is history.

other clubs -

notts county and juve

sunderland and athletic bilbao / atletico madrid

I was under the impression most Brazilian clubs were started by English workers but not necessarily with links to big clubs, Corinthians for example, as were genoa, there is also a Liverpool team in Argentina I think and an everton in Chile

other clubs -

notts county and juve

I was under the impression most Brazilian clubs were started by English workers but not necessarily with links to big clubs, Corinthians for example, as were genoa, there is also a Liverpool team in Argentina I think and an everton in Chile

British yes, English mostly no. 

Football was spread mostly in connection with the railways and projects like the insane cable car in the andes etc. The best engineers, as well as the best footballers at the time were Scottish. It was mostly Scots who spread the word and founded clubs abroad.

Juventus I think are an exception because it was "Juventus Football and Cricket Club" when it was born, and I think I'm right in saying that Milan was a cricket club too at the start.

Not sure of any influence Villa have had overseas to be honest!

Football was spread mostly in connection with the railways and projects like the insane cable car in the andes etc. The best engineers, as well as the best footballers at the time were Scottish. 

Wonder what went wrong on the football front?  ;)

other clubs -

notts county and juve

I was under the impression most Brazilian clubs were started by English workers but not necessarily with links to big clubs, Corinthians for example, as were genoa, there is also a Liverpool team in Argentina I think and an everton in Chile

For Bilbao they were actually originally inspired by blackburn and wore blue and white shirts for the first few years. However, one year the guy they sent to England to buy 25 rovers shirts either bought Southampton or Sunderland shirts by mistake. So it's extremely possible that if a guy didn't screw up what shirts to buy, Bilbao would have shirts that are blue and white instead of the red and white they have.

• Like 1

The Barcelona link is supposed to be true. I read it in a book I have that recalls Villa's history. It says that Barcelona based their colours on ours because we were the most successful team in the world at that time.

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

There's a little-known fact that Villa used to play in black before one day Sir Willy McGregory saw the mighty West Ham United playing in their now famous claret & blue colours. Willy was so impressed that he offered the then chairman the Cadbury's chocolate factory in exchange for some of their spare kits.

Hmmmm I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. We gave West ham our old kits due to a kit clash and they kept them. We were the first claret and blues.

Hmmmm I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. We gave West ham our old kits due to a kit clash and they kept them. We were the first claret and blues.
I think it was tongue in cheek. Willy McGregory? :-)

I think it was tongue in cheek. Willy McGregory? :-)

Lol phew! I give my west ham mates stick for that so I'd be gutted if it turned out to be false!

• Like 1

The Barcelona link is supposed to be true. I read it in a book I have that recalls Villa's history. It says that Barcelona based their colours on ours because we were the most successful team in the world at that time.

The FC Barcelona site says the colours were suggested by Hans Gampler, the club's Swiss founder, because they were used by Basel, the club he had played for before moving to Catalonia. They do acknowledge however there are "many theories" about the kit's origin.

The FC Barcelona site says the colours were suggested by Hans Gampler, the club's Swiss founder, because they were used by Basel, the club he had played for before moving to Catalonia. They do acknowledge however there are "many theories" about the kit's origin.

wasn't their first batch of kits faulty....hence the name of the original supplier...Basil Fawlty.

..sorry!!!

Edited by TRO

There is an Arsenal team as well in..brazil or was it colombia? Don`t remember. Guess juve - notts county stands out. 

The South American Arsenal were named after their local gunnery and weapons factory and have no links or connections to the English Arsenal.  

Talking of (the English) Arsenal, I read a long time ago that Herbert Chapman was a big admirer of Villa and the famous claret body, blue sleeves kit design and it was because of this that Arsenal changed their tops from all red to a red body and white sleeves design 

Derry City in the League of Ireland originally played in Villa's colours, too.

Talking of (the English) Arsenal, I read a long time ago that Herbert Chapman was a big admirer of Villa and the famous claret body, blue sleeves kit design and it was because of this that Arsenal changed their tops from all red to a red body and white sleeves design 

There is a different account, here - http://www.blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/6706 - which suggests the chairman of Chelsea wanted to change Chelsea's strip to blue with white sleeves because he saw someone dressed like this on a golf course. His manager told him he couldn't make this change but he mentioned it to Herbert Chapman, Arsenal manager, who introduced the kit change for Arsenal almost immediately. Initially the new kit consisted of sleeveless red tunics worn over a separate long-sleeved white shirt

Incidentally, Arsenal failed to win their first four games in the new kit but managed their first win on 1 April 1933 against...Aston Villa! (5-0).

Â