Commonly misspelled names

Mantis

I agree with that but it's hard to know where to draw the line.

I'm fine with people calling Cazorla "cah - zore - lah" as opposed to "cathorla" because we're english. And that's how we say it.

But then nobody called Thierry Henry "Hen - ree", and it would have seemed silly if we did.

I think you should pronounce people's names as they themselves pronounce them. That's a basic courtesy in my book.

For place names though, you should typically go with your own language rather than translating them into the local language i.e. 'Sweden' not 'Sverige' or 'Barcelona' not 'Barthelona'.

They are not Bavaria Munich :rant::P

It is how they are known and that's how I would use it, but it is the German language place name so strictly speaking it isn't going with your own language. And as Rev said earlier, it's actually a mish mash because it's bilingual. Basically there's no hard and fast rule either way. I say Munich yet I never say Naples (in the context of football). I'm reckless like that.

Whether an acronym is an initialism is apparent from its lexical structure (if none of the constituent words supply letters beyond their first letters to the acronym, it's also an initialism)

Whether an initialism is an acronym is solely dependent on usage and pronunciation (if one is pronouncing it by simply saying the letters, it's not an acronym, but any other pronunciation makes it an acronym).

Thus:

If one pronounces CSKA as "See Ess Kay Eh", it's an initialism, but not an acronym.

If one pronounces CSKA in any way that's not how one pronounces "C", "S", "K", and then "A", then it's both an acronym and an initialism.

Athletic Bilbao took the English spelling for their name because they were founded by a bunch of English people, were they not?  They have very strong English connections in their history, ten of their first fifteen managers were English.  I love the fact that the history books (well, Wikipedia) can cite the name of their first ever manager only as "Mr Shepherd" :lol:

So, what's the answer to "Helenius" ? 

(Given the way we mangled "Sven-Göran Eriksson" and "John Carew"). 

Yup.

Dunno about Sven, but I know Big John's name was pronounced something like

"Yun Kah-rev"

I met some norwegian girls once and, as you do, asked them if they knew who John Carew was. They absolutely did know who he was, but it took about 10 minutes for them to realise because they couldn't understand my pronunciation.

• Like 1

I met some norwegian girls once and, as you do, asked them if they knew who John Carew was. They absolutely did know who he was, but it took about 10 minutes for them to realise because they couldn't understand my pronunciation.

At any point did you utter the words "You know...bigger than me and you?...gonna score one or two..."?

Although if you were trying to score one or two of the ladies, you may have left out the bigger part. Fun fact - Whenever that was sang, the people seated/stood around me would always look at me with varying degrees of concealment ranging from snidey little look to blatant stare and most of the time at least one person would say "He's not bigger than you though is he mate?"

• Like 1

At any point did you utter the words "You know...bigger than me and you?...gonna score one or two..."?

Although if you were trying to score one or two of the ladies, you may have left out the bigger part. Fun fact - Whenever that was sang, the people seated/stood around me would always look at me with varying degrees of concealment ranging from snidey little look to blatant stare and most of the time at least one person would say "He's not bigger than you though is he mate?"

I was drunk.

So as soon as I mentioned John Carew, I sang that song along with it.

I didn't score.

• Like 1

Â