Commonly misspelled names

Mantis

The one who plays for Hull spells his name Elmohamady.  Their name is probably spelled the same in Arabic though.  It's like Muhammad and Mohammed or Gabriel and Djibril. 

No, even in Arabic they're spelled differently. ال احمد for KEA and المحمد for El Mohamady. Ahmed and Mohamad are 2 different names.

• Like 1

The one who plays for Hull spells his name Elmohamady.  Their name is probably spelled the same in Arabic though.  It's like Muhammad and Mohammed or Gabriel and Djibril. 

No, even in Arabic they're spelled differently. ال احمد for KEA and المحمد for El Mohamady. Ahmed and Mohamad are 2 different names.

Keyblade, are you Muslim?

Edited by legov

May I just say - everyone, kindly please spell my surname correctly.

Lee not Li

In Korean, the name Lee is pronounced 'ee' (이). And the 'L' is only added because we can't have a word made purely of vowels.  Therefore Bolton's Lee Chung-Yong is actually said 'Ee Chong-Yong'.

I assume that isn't the case in Chinese?

May I just say - everyone, kindly please spell my surname correctly.

Lee not Li

But isn't it true that your name is only "spelled correctly" in the Chinese pictogram?

Anything else is surely just a phonetic rendering of it - and "Lee" and "Li" are phonetically identical.

(I do realise that there are sound reasons for standardising the English spelling, for official records, etc. - I'm just being devil's advocate about the whole problem of translating names from one character set to another).

• Like 1

Cazorla as Caforla i mean is that even right and thats how its supposed to be pronounced or is that someone just beign a bellend?

Well it's nearly right. Supposed to be Cathorla.

This.

"Caforla" is definitely wrong

Spelling the name wrong is one thing, attempting to pronounce the name in some lisping Spanish shambles really boils my piss though. Johnathan Pearce on motd is probably the worst for it
My GOD why aren't we liking this more!?? I totally accept that by pronouncing the names in a British way we are somewhat bastardising them, but listening to a Brit say 'hreal madrliii' or 'baaathelona' is just worse. It's embarrassing and makes me cringe. I've noticed they only do it for certain countries. They don't furiously scream 'BORUSSIA MOOOOONCHENGLADBACH!!' for example Edited by Spoony

Â