Commonly misspelled names

Mantis

I agree with that but it's hard to know where to draw the line.

I'm fine with people calling Cazorla "cah - zore - lah" as opposed to "cathorla" because we're english. And that's how we say it. 

But then nobody called Thierry Henry "Hen - ree", and it would have seemed silly if we did.

• Like 1

May I just say - everyone, kindly please spell my surname correctly.

Lee not Li

In Korean, the name Lee is pronounced 'ee' (이). And the 'L' is only added because we can't have a word made purely of vowels.  Therefore Bolton's Lee Chung-Yong is actually said 'Ee Chong-Yong'.

I assume that isn't the case in Chinese?

Nope, we do pronounce the "l" sound.

I didn't know that about Korean names tbh, thanks.

May I just say - everyone, kindly please spell my surname correctly.

Lee not Li

But isn't it true that your name is only "spelled correctly" in the Chinese pictogram?

Anything else is surely just a phonetic rendering of it - and "Lee" and "Li" are phonetically identical.

(I do realise that there are sound reasons for standardising the English spelling, for official records, etc. - I'm just being devil's advocate about the whole problem of translating names from one character set to another).

Mike, English is my first language. I'm very particular about how my name is spelt in English :)

I don't regard it as just the Anglicised version of my surname. It's my surname, pure and simple.

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

I'm fine with people calling Cazorla "cah - zore - lah" as opposed to "cathorla" because we're english. And that's how we say it.

But then nobody called Thierry Henry "Hen - ree", and it would have seemed silly if we did.

Most people called him "On-ree" didn't they? That's certainty how I remember it. Even the chant which went to the tune of Tom Hark used that pronunciation.

But you just 'know' what's okay don't you? Football fans must follow their instincts. We all know 'on-ree' is okay. We all know 'Bathalona' isn't.

KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

Spelling the name wrong is one thing, attempting to pronounce the name in some lisping Spanish shambles really boils my piss though. Johnathan Pearce on motd is probably the worst for it

If you think he is bad on MOTD, you ain't seen nothing!

Hark back to 1997-1998 when we were drawn against Athletic Bilbao in the UEFA Cup. Jonathan Pearce was doing the commentary for our little european run on Channel 5 that year, and some of his attempts at pronoucing the names of the Athletic team bordered on hilarious.

He was probably trying his best, but he literally lisped the pronouciation of every single one of their players, it was like a fat Daffy Duck/Chris Eubank hybrid had got into the studio and taken over the microphone!

Oh yeah....and people who call our goalkeeper "Guzman" on here deserve to be shot.

Edited by R.I.C.O.
  • Like 2

Hark back to 1997-1998 when we were drawn against Athletic Bilbao in the UEFA Cup. Jonathan Pearce was doing the commentary for our little european run on Channel 5 that year, and some of his attempts at pronoucing the names of the Athletic team bordered on hilarious.

I can't remember who it was exactly, but whoever was commentating on the 1997 Champions League final kept referring to Dortmund's ball winning midfielder as "Larmberr" until the co commentator pointed out it was Paul Lambert. From Glasgow. 

I'm curious to know why though.  As it stands we use the German word for the region they play in and the Anglicised word for the city of Munich. It's a mish mash and the only reason I presume we go with half of one and half of the other is because "Bayern" is such a commonly used nickname for them we just decided to roll with it.  

That's basically it. I can see that it is a slightly odd mish mash but it's because I don't refer to Munich as Muenchen in every day use and the club to me are Bayern which I see as less a geographical area and more a brand name in that context.

Â