Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

There is no one within our ridiculously small budget that could improve us.

We either get serious about being a Premier League team or offer League One fees and wages and eventually drop down to League One

Yup, as I said in the other thread, we're punching well above our weight. Of course the young players we have brought in may come good, they may go on to become great Premier League players, but I doubt this will happen if we end up dropping down to the Championship.

I'm confident that we'll stay up, I'm confident that we'll stay away from the scrap at the bottom, I'm not so confident that we'll bring in the 1 or 2 players next month that we need to improve the quality of the team though.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

There is no one within our ridiculously small budget that could improve us.

We either get serious about being a Premier League team or offer League One fees and wages and eventually drop down to League One

Yup, as I said in the other thread, we're punching well above our weight. Of course the young players we have brought in may come good, they may go on to become great Premier League players, but I doubt this will happen if we end up dropping down to the Championship.

I'm confident that we'll stay up, I'm confident that we'll stay away from the scrap at the bottom, I'm not so confident that we'll bring in the 1 or 2 players next month that we need to improve the quality of the team though.

I also think we'll stay up this season but Wigan have proved that you can't go through this every single year and not expect to be found wanting eventually.

I don't blame Lerner for stepping back after having his fingers burned and I do appreciate what he's done for the infrastructure of the club. But he now has to either invest himself, find some new way of getting major investment into the club or sell up

• Like 1

And that should tell you all you need to know about the state of the club and why we're in this mess.

And why giving Lambert stick is ludicrous.

It's been a problem long, long, long before Lambert took the job, so I'm definitely not blaming him for it. What needs to happen at Villa is the one thing that'll never be let happen by the fans - we need to completely reset everything from the kids up to play proper movement based football. it's a 5-10 year job though, so there's no chance there's anything close to the patience required for it to happen, because what you'll get in the early days is shit football, young players signed for small fees and... oh... wait

I agree. I know this sounds crazy but I actually think relegation would help the club in terms of creating a better style of football and a winning mentality.
Surely its not rocket science playing better football. You have a manager who wants to play a certain way and he signs players to play that style and who are good enough to play that style.

I don't really see how relegation would solve anything.

Agree 100%

How on earth would it help?

It 100% wouldnt. But thats the road its heading. If we play the way we played against Fulham we wont get a single point out of the next 4 games.

Make that 3 games now. I think we could get relegated and I never really thought that last year.

Despite losing 3 in a row, we're still 6 points off the drop down because shock horror the teams below us lose on an even more regular basis.

There are much worse teams in the league than us, hard to believe I accept given the "football" we're churning out but we'll finish mid table.

• Like 1

Despite losing 3 in a row, we're still 6 points off the drop down because shock horror the teams below us lose on an even more regular basis.

There are much worse teams in the league than us, hard to believe I accept given the "football" we're churning out but we'll finish mid table.

We have to get points on the board in the next 3 games. I expect/hope that we get at least 6 points from them if I'm honest, followed up by the signing of an attacking midfielder in early January. Probably not going to happen I know.

We might not bring anymore in but I fancy the other clubs in trouble will and then that 6 point lead might not look too safe.

Forget about 6pts. We need another 20pts to be safe. Way we are playing can u see us winning the equivalent of 7 games between now and end of season? Because we won't unless we vastly improve.

Just seen yesterday's goals for the first time.

Buy a defender in January Lambert so that utter shithouse Baker can be tossed off to League 2 where he belongs.

Can't believe a player with that little ability ends up playing about 20 games for us every season at the moment

• Like 1

That's fair enough. If you want to support Lerner's austerity and Lambert's ineptness, then whilst it's not something I'm prepared to do, you have my respect.

Surely this is the very definition of being a fan. To support your team no matter what.

Why don't you go and support Man Utd or whoever you think will win the league this year?

Â