Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Why would there be any transfer news today?

Someone tell me otherwise but i can't remember the last time we signed a player on a matchday?

Firedel was signed and announced on a matchday. I remember because the eagle eye action man behind me spotted him in the crowd from 100m away before it was announced.

Is there any AM besides Kiyotake and Hoolahan that are our targets? A exciting signing would lift us fans and the whole squad! Also somethings telling me that Holt is going to have a lot of fun in the air battles with Skrtel today  :D

Im not a fan of hoolahan and if im honest kiyotake has never impressed me when I have seen him in the bundesliga. I have only seen him about 5 times. How come he is rated so highly on here??

Coz hardly anybody has seen him play.

I've never seen him play so I think he's bloody superb and is the answer to our prayers.

• Like 2

This thread is causing my F5 finger unnecessary suffering.......any news on that Delap bloke?

Yea apparently he signed from wigan who are a championship club so we still have another prem loan. I also think he sits in the directors box and has a boat.

Why would there be any transfer news today?

Someone tell me otherwise but i can't remember the last time we signed a player on a matchday?

Firedel was signed and announced on a matchday. I remember because the eagle eye action man behind me spotted him in the crowd from 100m away before it was announced.

They wouldn't announce it at an away game though!

Is there any AM besides Kiyotake and Hoolahan that are our targets? A exciting signing would lift us fans and the whole squad! Also somethings telling me that Holt is going to have a lot of fun in the air battles with Skrtel today  :D

Im not a fan of hoolahan and if im honest kiyotake has never impressed me when I have seen him in the bundesliga. I have only seen him about 5 times. How come he is rated so highly on here??

Coz hardly anybody has seen him play.

I've never seen him play so I think he's bloody superb and is the answer to our prayers.

Haha until he signs and turns out to be crap and everyone starts saying why did we sign him for he's crap etc etc.

I'm happy with this window based on the fact we have a half decent left back for the rest of the season!

Ignoring the usual petty sarcasm I've asked you on four occasions now to produce a simple stat of Lambert's match record during his tenure with us and on every occasion you have refused.

I've asked you to do this because previously you seem very willing to pull a graph out of your back pocket to try and prove that Lambert is doing a good job. One would assume that one of the most telling factors whether Lambert is doing a good job or not is our overall match record under him, yet as I say, you refuse to show this.

But indignantly demanding that someone you're disagreeing with post the particular stat that supports your own position isn't petty? If you've got an argument to make, make it yourself.

The basic disagreement between the "Lambert apologists" and the "Negative Nellies" mostly boils down to their interpretation of what rebuilding entails and what's the best approach in the long run. It's clear Lerner, Lambert and Faulkner all agreed it's best to start from scratch with young (mostly), hungry, passionate players on similar (mostly) wages to bond and get the high-earners out the door. This approach required spreading the transfer kitty and salary funds among more players, with the obvious sacrifice in quality and greater risk of signing flops. It also means risking relegation for a season or two until ther funds can go to quality vs. quantity. But if the plan works, the club is in a good position financially and can start rewarding the players who did well with better contracts and replacing those who didn't with better quality at higher wages without blowing the wages out of the water again. If you accept this approach, then the club's record since Lambert took over isn't necessarily the most important measure of success at this point in the project, as long as the club stays up. At the moment, you could argue that Lambert has been successful, if only by a margin, against this measure. If the rest of the plan plays out (relegation is avoided, money from clearing out dead wood is made available for better players in the summer), next season is the real test of both Lamber and Lerner. Football style and results need to be significantly better and showing signs of continuous improvement.

If you don't agree that a total clearout was necessary, as a number of you don't, then of course it's hard to view Lambert as being successful. As you've argued, the transfer funds could have gone to fewer players of higher quality and results likely would have been better to date. The question is whether the club would be better posed for a resurgence after this season under this scenario. You clearly believe so. Team togetherness and the ability to build up from a good foundation, both football-wise and financially, would probably not be as good but maybe results would be similar without having had to go through 2 seasons of relagation risk and unattactive football. We may never know.

Lambert was clearly brought on board to do the job in a particular way. Slate him for choosing to go along with the plan if you want, or slate Lerner for hiring a manager to take this approach. But given the job he was asked to do, I don't think Lambert's been too bad.

Thanks for the advice but as regular readers of this forum would tell you I have continually put my argument forward and that argument is not exclusive to just the above stat. If however you feel that asking the said poster to be balanced in his argument by producing a stat showing Lambert's overall record with us is petty please avail me of another stat showing Lambert's overall performance which in your opinion, isn't?

Secondly it isn't clear at all that the Chief Executive, Chairman and manager made a collective decision on a policy of youth. What is clear though is that the Chief Executive has already stated that Lambert was given a budget and it was up to him how he spent it. That is further substantiated by who we've been linked to and who we've signed this season. The fact is that with one relegation battle behind us under Lambert and losing six out of the last eight this season Lambert has realised that his youth policy has failed and is now targeting more Premiership experience which he should have done from the start. Several posters on this site including myself stated that under this policy we would struggle and I don't think to date we have been proven wrong.

playing poor football I agree, looking over a short period of games looks bad but struggling we aren't. Half way through the season which is a fair reflection of us because we had played each team once and we were 11th in the league and that's with missing Vlaar and Benteke for major parts of it. That's improvement on last season and 11th isn't struggling.

Yep 11th in the table but we've lost six out of the last eight which would suggest otherwise.

TRANSFER SPECULATION THREAD!!!

The so called plan isn't working though is it?

depends on what you see as the being "the plan", I see it that he had a 5 year plan to replace all the over-paid players that feel they are owed a place in the team whilst putting minimum effort in, with young, hungry players that want to play for the club and reducing the wage bill at the same time. These players will need to time to adapt and learn the ways of the premiership and some players will not be good enough so will move on but did not cost the earth anyway so were not a high financial risk.

He is not even half way through that plan yet and has already made a significant impact whilst keeping the clubs premiership status (which was always going to be at risk given that he took on a team of relegation candidates and then began a mass player replacement).

Alex ferguson won nothing with United during his first 5 years at the club despite inheriting a better team than PL did here. We may not know the full depth of PL's plan, his targets or indeed his daily attempts to improve us but we do know that our wage bill has reduced, our players are making an effort and Lambert has not finished his plan and has not run out of ideas.

If we replaced our manager every two years we will never get anywhere because the re-building will just keep starting again and again. He needs time and our backing. When he is done we can criticise, complain or enjoy his success. Time will tell but you cant write off his work when you havent seen the finished product.

In Lambert I trust!

• Like 1

We basically need to oust Westwood and KEA from the team.

Replace Westwood with someone who is tougher in the tackle and can also keep play ticking over (a poor mans Flamini)

Replace KEA with a number 10 (a poor mans Cazorla)

Leaving Delph to box to box it.

• Like 1

We are desperate for 2 CMs and a number 10. Totally **** desperate

I think we could get away with one CM and one AM, I'd like a player similar to Tiote.

I dont think we will end up with anyone. Maybe Hoolahan, even if we get him I still think we would be desperate for 2 CMs and a number 10

A Tiote/Diame/Nzonzi type player would be great

The so called plan isn't working though is it?

depends on what you see as the being "the plan", I see it that he had a 5 year plan to replace all the over-paid players that feel they are owed a place in the team whilst putting minimum effort in, with young, hungry players that want to play for the club and reducing the wage bill at the same time. These players will need to time to adapt and learn the ways of the premiership and some players will not be good enough so will move on but did not cost the earth anyway so were not a high financial risk.

He is not even half way through that plan yet and has already made a significant impact whilst keeping the clubs premiership status (which was always going to be at risk given that he took on a team of relegation candidates and then began a mass player replacement).

Alex ferguson won nothing with United during his first 5 years at the club despite inheriting a better team than PL did here. We may not know the full depth of PL's plan, his targets or indeed his daily attempts to improve us but we do know that our wage bill has reduced, our players are making an effort and Lambert has not finished his plan and has not run out of ideas.

If we replaced our manager every two years we will never get anywhere because the re-building will just keep starting again and again. He needs time and our backing. When he is done we can criticise, complain or enjoy his success. Time will tell but you cant write off his work when you havent seen the finished product.

In Lambert I trust!

Another good post. :clap:

We basically need to oust Westwood and KEA from the team.

Replace Westwood with someone who is tougher in the tackle and can also keep play ticking over (a poor mans Flamini)

Replace KEA with a number 10 (a poor mans Cazorla)

Leaving Delph to box to box it.

Yeah, the quicker those two are replaced and binned the better

'Binned' is harsh. KEA hasn't been great, and I wouldn't mind him going, but Westwood surely is good enough for a place in the squad? <br /><br />He might not be first team material at the moment, but with a change of tactic, and better players around him, he'd easily fit in.

Â