Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

If it is a player from the premier league then Siggurdson would probably be the best and most realistic player we can get. He's used to the league, scores goals and can create as well. Not sure if he's injured at the moment but he didn't even make Spurs bench for their last game either. Bet he's on over £50k a week though.

If it is a player from the premier league then Siggurdson would probably be the best and most realistic player we can get. He's used to the league, scores goals and can create as well. Not sure if he's injured at the moment but he didn't even make Spurs bench for their last game either. Bet he's on over £50k a week though.

Yeah Sigurdsson would be a great signing in my opinion, he has always been good as well it isn't as if we'd be signing somebody who is hit and miss. Consistently played well for the last 4 or 5 years, right from the lower leagues as well.

Experienced, talented and still only just turned 24 in September. Would Spuds want to sell him though? Better yet, could we afford him?

I'd be happy with Hoolahan but he is also back playing for Norwich, and if he continues to play like that no chance they'll sell him to us:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/28/wes-hoolahan-shines-as-norwich-win-pride-if-not-points-against-manchester-united-4244141/

He is also 31, he may have a little bit more to give but personally I still wouldn't want to be bringing in anybody over 30. 

Having a youthful squad is still important and we can still get experience under the age of 30.

I'd be happy with Hoolahan but he is also back playing for Norwich, and if he continues to play like that no chance they'll sell him to us:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/28/wes-hoolahan-shines-as-norwich-win-pride-if-not-points-against-manchester-united-4244141/

He is also 31, he may have a little bit more to give but personally I still wouldn't want to be bringing in anybody over 30. 

Having a youthful squad is still important and we can still get experience under the age of 30.

I just think he's exactly the type of player we need - a number 10, quality on the ball can link attack and midfield. Obviously not a long term solution but would be useful for a couple of years and Lambert knows exactly what he will get from him. But like I said, they won't sell if he's that important to them

• Like 1

I don't think our already powderpuff midfield can sustain a Nr 10 without also adding a proper DCM.

I rather have a deep lying playmaker to calm things domwn than a guy playing behind the striker(s)

• Like 1

Yeah I would play our usual 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4, would allow much more freedom for either of the other CMs to get forward.

Shame Sylla hasn't been tried like this, every game in preseason he played that role and he looked decent.

I don't think our already powderpuff midfield can sustain a Nr 10 without also adding a proper DCM.

I rather have a deep lying playmaker to calm things domwn than a guy playing behind the striker(s)

I agree we could definitely do with an upgrade in quality deeper in midfield, but an attacking midfielder is more urgent. The complete lack of movement and players making themselves available higher up the pitch contributes to our mindless hoofing.

Westwood is a deep lying playmaker. So is El Ahmadi. Delph plays deep, Sylla plays deep, even Gardner has played in a deep midfield role when he has appeared. They might not be high quality, but we literally have nobody who can take the ball and create something for the strikers. Exclude N'Zogbia who is a long term injury - we have 2 attacking midfielders in the entire squad. Both play wide and neither have scored or assisted a goal this season. 

Edited by TJVillan

Yeah Sigurdsson would be a great signing in my opinion, he has always been good as well it isn't as if we'd be signing somebody who is hit and miss. Consistently played well for the last 4 or 5 years, right from the lower leagues as well.

Experienced, talented and still only just turned 24 in September. Would Spuds want to sell him though? Better yet, could we afford him?

I don't think he's that realistic for a permanent signing as better teams would be in for him than us (sadly) if they were to sell him but on loan could be realistic ?

• Like 1

Judging by Tim Sherwood's early team selections, one of their high profile AVB signings would be ripe for the picking for a loan move.

The fact Sherwood seems to favour two strikers means that there selection of midfielder's looks even greater, so you could be correct.

Judging by Tim Sherwood's early team selections, one of their high profile AVB signings would be ripe for the picking for a loan move.

The fact Sherwood seems to favour two strikers means that there selection of midfielder's looks even greater, so you could be correct.

Sherwood has also put a couple of youth team midfielders on the bench recently too so added to the 11 first team midfielders they already have, they definitely have too many. Siggurdson doesn't really fit in anywhere in a 4-4-2 either so you'd have to think they'd consider a loan enquiry for him. Wether he'd come to us is another matter. Funnily enough, he was always someone I wanted us to sign when he was at Reading too

• Like 1

Agree fully. If you put Kagawa in our current team we still wouldn't create much.

We need the players to win and retain possession first before worrying about creativity.

• Like 1

Kouyate, De Bruyne? Oh please we all know it will be pilkington or some 2m player from a really obscure foreign league.

HH said not Pilkington and said it's someone currently playing in the league. So if HH is to be believed, you're in for a treat!

• Like 1

Â