Formation, System & Tactics

dakid007

I think we need to find a formation and system that works and stick to it so all the players understand what needs to be done.
We should pick our best players Guzan delph gabby benteke and make sure these players are in positions were they can affect game the most.
We don't have the players for a midfield 2, attacking wingers or a no.10
3-4-1-2 is the formation that suits our limited players

Guzan (continue being awesome)

Bacuna Vlaar Clark (back 3 sit and only join in on set plays)(bacuna takes all free kicks,corners)

Gabby Sylla Westwood Luna (gabby&luna provide width&defensive cover)(sylla&westwood sit defensively)

Delph (has ability to dribble past players should be moving around and dropping into 'space' and driving towards goal

Benteke Weiman (put ball into goal as much as possible)

I think we need to find a formation and system that works and stick to it so all the players understand what needs to be done.

We should pick our best players Guzan delph gabby benteke and make sure these players are in positions were they can affect game the most.

Bacuna Vlaar Clark (back 3 sit and only join in on set plays)(bacuna takes all free kicks,corners)

Gabby Sylla Westwood Luna (gabby&luna provide width&defensive cover)(sylla&westwood sit defensively)

Delph (has ability to dribble past players should be moving around and dropping into 'space' and driving towards goal

I really don't know if Bacuna can play center half, put him in the midfield for Sylla, bring Lowton into the back 3 and you might be onto something. Bacuna could drive forward occasionally from the midfield to support, Luna wouldn't have as many defensive responsibilites and Weimann can actually play as a striker. I really like it. Except I'm not sure about Delph farther foward, he can't really pass.

I

I really don't know if Bacuna can play center half, put him in the midfield for Sylla, bring Lowton into the back 3 and you might be onto something. Bacuna could drive forward occasionally from the midfield to support, Luna wouldn't have as many defensive responsibilites and Weimann can actually play as a striker. I really like it. Except I'm not sure about Delph farther foward, he can't really pass.

I kind of agree with what ur saying about bacuna and Sylla but I thought having some pace at the back is important.

I put delph there as he is the only player on our team who can actually beat a player with skill which could open up a defence in a split second

yeah, bacuna as any part of a back 3 is not only wasting him, it's completely destroying your back 3 ;)

3 at the back i'd go

--------------------guzan--------------------

---------vlaar------clark------baker-------

bacuna--------KEA---Delph-------Moon

---Weimann-----Benteke-----Gabby---

balls out 3-4-3 and f*ck it ;)

yeah, bacuna as any part of a back 3 is not only wasting him, it's completely destroying your back 3 ;)

3 at the back i'd go

--------------------guzan--------------------

---------vlaar------clark------baker-------

bacuna--------KEA---Delph-------Moon

---Weimann-----Benteke-----Gabby---

balls out 3-4-3 and f*ck it ;)

Looks good but swap Sylla for kea

i would go for a 5-3-1-1 formation, and immediately drop Westwood, Gabby and Weimann.

Guzan

Lowton Clark Vlaar Baker Luna

Bacuna Sylla El Ahmadi

Delph

Benteke

Just what i'd like to see i think Lowton can come back in now, have Bacuna further up the pitch. Sylla adds to our team and i think him and Delph work well, i think we need to force Delph further up with a different formation, Benteke can play loan man and El Ahmadi because i couldnt think of an 11th player

Edited by skarroki

i would go for a 5-3-1-1 formation, and immediately drop Westwood, Gabby and Weimann.

Guzan

Bacuna Sylla El Ahmadi

Delph

Benteke

Just what i'd like to see i think Lowton can come back in now, have Bacuna further up the pitch. Sylla adds to our team and i think him and Delph work well, i think we need to force Delph further up with a different formation, Benteke can play loan man and El Ahmadi because i couldnt think of an 11th player

5 at the back with only one striker, no support forwards, no major pace and no other goalscorers of any ilk is ridiculous.

against west Ham I would go for :

Guzan

Lowton-Vlaar- Baker/Clarke-Luna

Sylla- Westwood

Bacuna Delph-El Ahmadi/Tonev

Benteke

my system would be -4-2-3-1

• Like 1

Guzan

Bacuna Sylla El Ahmadi

Delph

Benteke

Alex?

• Like 1

You mean against them for us, or against them in general?

Against them for us.

Though I've never really seen it work long term for anyone else either in the modern game.

It is experiencing a resurgence for sure, originating from Italy. It is the one formation that allows you to play a front two without sacrificing a midfield three. With the front two making a bit of a comeback also, I think we'll see a few more clubs dabble with it over the coming years.

As for us, I'd only ever advocate it at home occassionally as it gives the option of grinding out a result against the better footballing teams. We don't have the players to make it our default formation though I'd agree.

It took far too long to get our formation right last year but it worked and once we got it sorted it worked well.

Now i've been thinking that actually it hasn't worked well this year but i think thats more to do with benteke being out. He's key to how we play.

We looked good against arsenal and chelsea playing this way and once we went back to it against liverpool we looked much better. Newcastle was crap but then after that we lost benteke. We had him back against everton and again looked good but didn't take our chances. So with this system and benteke we've only really performed poorly for one game, results haven't been great but performances look promising.

The problem comes when benteke is out. I don't care what lambert has said i don't think we can play the same way with kozak in the team. The performances against norwich and spurs were awful with kozak in this formation.

I was dead against 3 at the back when it clearly didn't work last year but if benteke is out i'd like to see us sef up the same way we did against city.

Right now i think 4-3-3 with a fit benteke is still getting the best performances from us.

Edited by Big_John_10

You mean against them for us, or against them in general?

Against them for us.

Though I've never really seen it work long term for anyone else either in the modern game.

Juventus & Napoli are/have used it with relative success i'd say

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Napoli don't use it now Mazzari has gone. He was certainly one of the pioneers of the revival of three at the back.

True, Napoli play 4231 now with Benitez.

But i think Fiorentina is using it now

Napoli don't use it now Mazzari has gone. He was certainly one of the pioneers of the revival of three at the back.

True, Napoli play 4231 now with Benitez.

But i think Fiorentina is using it now

They are as are the likes of Inter (obviously), Udinese, Genoa, Parma etc. It is quite widespread in Italy now. Obviously the success of it with Conte and Mazzarri has made others try and get in on the act.

• Like 1

Â