Formation, System & Tactics

dakid007

Sounds like both Luna and Bennett are out injured for the West Ham game (Gabby too) so we might be seeing 3 at the back out of necessity this weekend. Against West Ham a 3-5-2 might be pretty effective - stifle them in midfield. Although 3 CB's is a lot up against their 0 strikers. Do they have any fit strikers right now? Might free up someone like Clark to roam forward a bit.

Guzan

Vlaar - Clark- Baker

Bacuna - KEA - Sylla - Delph - Tonev

Helenius - Benteke

Is what I'd like to see. Westwood for Sylla and Weimann for Helenius is more likely.

I'm firmly against any variation of 3-x-x or 5-x-x formations.

I pray we don't see them for the remainder of the season.

Same here - I was physically sick when we used it and beat Man City. I really don't want to see anything like that again. It's just not worth getting 3 points for.

I'm firmly against any variation of 3-x-x or 5-x-x formations.

I pray we don't see them for the remainder of the season.

Same here - I was physically sick when we used it and beat Man City. I really don't want to see anything like that again. It's just not worth getting 3 points for.

It worked though. Granted when I saw the formation that day, my response was "Here we go again...", but at the end of the day it effectively neutralized the attack of City for much of the game and we managed to get 3 goals. I'd rather play it then get thumped by 5 goals or summat. I think what it comes down to me for now and in the future, as long as Lambert is flexible in his formations and each one has a certain objective for the side Villa are up against, then fair play, and sometimes it won't be that pretty. 

The formation is in important but players understanding the tactics & being able to dynamically switch systems is even better.

433 when we are in control 352 when we are under pressure

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna Sylla delph

Weiman benteke gabby

Lowton vlaar Clark

Gabby bacuna Sylla delph Luna

Benteke weiman

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

bacuna Sylla

Weiman delph gabby

Benteke

With the ability of the players I think looking at it now 433 is best suited to our team

Edited by dakid007

The formation is in important but players understanding the tactics & being able to dynamically switch systems is even better.

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna Sylla delph

Weiman benteke gabby

Lowton vlaar Clark

Benteke weiman

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

bacuna Sylla

Weiman delph gabby

Benteke

With the ability of the players I think looking at it now 433 is best suited to our team

you need a decent midfield if your are going to play 4-3-3, ours is pretty poor. Also gabby and wiemann are not really wide attackers, 4-3-3 leaves us unbalanced

• Like 1

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna Sylla delph

Weiman benteke gabby

Lowton vlaar Clark

Benteke weiman

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

bacuna Sylla

Weiman delph gabby

Benteke

you need a decent midfield if your are going to play 4-3-3, ours is pretty poor. Also gabby and wiemann are not really wide attackers, 4-3-3 leaves us unbalanced

That's the problem we don't really have the players to use any definitive system. 442 weak midfield no wingers. 352 could u trust our team with 3 at the back.

Really surprised he hasn't brought out the Norwich 41212 yet. With how attacking villas fullbacks are and how poor the wide forwards have been, it would fit at villa possibly more than any other formation.

Who would play where?

Edited by dakid007

Â