Formation, System & Tactics

dakid007

Is that not what PL has done, didn't he tailor his formation against Soton because he knew they'd dominate possession, the same Soton who dominated Man City with possession, who have Toure and others in their midfield. But for some reason our manager should try to out pass Soton.

• Like 3

think meulenstein tactics were spot on at the game on sunday and our defenders having time on the ball doesnt suit us at all, not that thye are bad on the ball but we have nobody that moves which is embarrassing for a Premier League team. 

I remember at one stage we had a throw in and not one player wanted to go to the ball for about 30 seconds, surprised ref didnt blow for time wasting

I honestly thought Bannan was the problem for our lack of goals via set pieces but he seems to be doing pretty well at Palace with the set pieces, none of this "floated" stuff either.

The real problem is Lambert it seems, I think he is insisting of the delivery to be like this and it's not working.

I'm surprised we are still doing it to this day, it's disappointing and it's something you'd hope a manager would've changed by now.

I'm probably wrong but on face value it looks this way to me.

I honestly thought Bannan was the problem for our lack of goals via set pieces but he seems to be doing pretty well at Palace with the set pieces, none of this "floated" stuff either.

The real problem is Lambert it seems, I think he is insisting of the delivery to be like this and it's not working.

I'm surprised we are still doing it to this day, it's disappointing and it's something you'd hope a manager would've changed by now.

I'm probably wrong but on face value it looks this way to me.

These set pieces are predictable. One like this would be okay, but they are nearly all the same.

This is how it's supposed to work. 

ibmKPhl68lJF5r.gif

Benteke scored one from the same spot against Reading.  If defenders know what to look out for they can block the run. Another reason for having greater variety in our set pieces.

Also against Reading or another team he head a header cleared off the line (where a defender should be guarding the post here) from a Bannan corner. Bannan was unlucky not to get a corner assist there. In the end, we got a penalty from that move.

Edited by Con

Corners aren't a big source of goals. The average premier league team scores one corner every 10 games, and it can be assumed villa would score less frequently because they get less corners than the average team. I don't think the corner system is the issue everyone else does. Benteke already scored one against Newcastle right? If Villa score just two more from corners the rest of the year they'd be about league average.

Corners aren't a big source of goals. The average premier league team scores one corner every 10 games, and it can be assumed villa would score less frequently because they get less corners than the average team. I don't think the corner system is the issue everyone else does. Benteke already scored one against Newcastle right? If Villa score just two more from corners the rest of the year they'd be about league average.

Good points.

Still think we need a little more variety if we want to be one of those teams that are on the better than the average side of the average. With Benteke in the side we really ought to be.

We don't have the most intelligent or technical players so we need to pick a plan a & plan b formation and make sure everyone in the squad learns there roles and the system. We are currently mid table and if we don't start pickin up some wins we can easily slide back down.we don't have a no.10 we won't buy one so we have to give the role to delph and ask him to concentrate on more attacking than defending. Sit him in a room with a hypnotist & Ronaldhino DVD and hope something clicks in his brain

I think the main issue is that teams aren't allowing us to play much on the counter-attack anymore, which has been our biggest strength. This is also why I think we've been pickig up points vs bigger opposition as the lesser teams feel easier sitting back against us while the bigger ones are most likey to push up.

The space between midfield and the strikers is an issue, but the biggest is that our wide forwards isn't wide enough and their lack threatning runs makes it very predictable. What do we do, lump it up to Benteke, who's surrounded by 2-3 defending players, because he's the only threat. So either he fails to controll it or ends up with a poor layoff because he's under way to much preassure. I think he feels he's getting fouled a lot and deserves freekicks, and in a sence "gives up" in the duels because of that. He needs to be more cynical and learn to deal with defenders being more dirty to deal with him.

Our midfield is far to static aswell, there's no forward movment from them(without the ball at their feet) threathing the central space.Both Westwood and Delph drops deep to get to ball or offer "support pass" option. While the third midfielder usually lurks around in the middle of the pitch ready to receive the ball with his back towards the opposition. 

We've pretty much stopped overlapping with the fullbacks and playing one-two combinations with the widemen which has been a huge asset. Not playing Lowton and Luna/Bennet being injured doesn't help.

I would like to see us play a 4-5-1.  WIth Benteke or Kozak on top. Allbrigthon and Gabby on the wings.

I would like to see us play a 4-5-1.  WIth Benteke or Kozak on top. Allbrigthon and Gabby on the wings.

Albrighton? The good old hasn't played for ages so he must be good chestnut? Gabby other than the first 4 games has been poor with the Soton game an exception.

Albrighton? The good old hasn't played for ages so he must be good chestnut? Gabby other than the first 4 games has been poor with the Soton game an exception.

He's looked lively enough the times he's come on and considering how weimann has been I think it's worth giving him a go at the wing. Gabby is always a threat even though he's a bit hit and miss the only other option as of now would be Tonev which might not be to bad either.  Besides Gabby hasn't been playing very wide but more off Bentekes shoulder which hasn't been to successfull. Bottom line is, I'd like to see us play with more with and midfield who's a little more dynamic when we're in possession.

Maybe we should try 442

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

Tonev Bacuna Sylla gabby

Benteke kozak

Benteke is getting tripled teamed and with another big target man upfront he would get some support.we have no ability on the ball so should play with width & pace.

Edited by dakid007

Maybe we should try 442

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

Tonev Bacuna Sylla gabby

Benteke kozak

Benteke is getting tripled teamed and with another big target man upfront he would get some support.we have no ability on the ball so should play with width & pace.

Tonev is completly shit and out of his depth in this league. Vlaar is injured. Bacuna is never a CM and you're another one of the leave out KEA brigade. Nonsensical lineup.

I decided to look it up. Last season Villa scored 7 goals from corners from 178 corners, a very good conversion rate. The 178 corners was 16th in the league, but Villa scored the 7th most goals from corners. It doesn't seem like it was a problem last year.

It doesnt matter what formation we play, we have no decent wide players and a plethora of bollocks central midfielders. The side is unbalanced and has minimal technical ability. If they understood the basics of pass and move it might be a start. I have never seen such a static team in my life. They have no concept of moving into space, villa frustrate me more and more each week. I think this team could easily go and lose 5 or 6 on the bounce

• Like 1

I'd play this

-------------------------------Guzan

Lowton--------Vlaar-------------------Okore(Clarke)----------Luna

--------------Sylla---------Westwood-----------Delph

Bacuna-------------------Benteke--------------------------Gabby

What would u say our strongest line up is with everyone fit? What formation?

With everyone fit and ON FORM, I think our best starting XI is:

Guzan

Lowton  - Vlaar - Clark* - Luna

KEA - Westwood - Delph

Weimann - Benteke - Agbonlahor

(*  I'd be tempted to say Okore in place of Clark, but I haven't seen enough of him to be definite on that, and Clark's stepped up and shown big improvement this year.)

The "on form" part is just as worrying as the fitness part at the moment. We barely have enough of a squad to cover injuries as it is. On current form, the best starting XI would more likely be:

Guzan

Lowton (?) - Vlaar - Clark - Luna

KEA (?) - Westwood - Delph

Albrighton - Kozak - Agbonlahor

Lowton hasn't been great but then, after a bright start, Bacuna has not been a whole lot better (although for his set pieces alone I'd like to have him on the pitch). KEA has been spotty - some good games and some poor games, but I still think he's a better option than Sylla at this point. I would really like to see us start introducing some of the youngsters in CM in the new year when possible - Gardner, Carruthers maybe, when he's back from loan? It's our weakest area and this would be a good opportunity for one of them to claim a senior spot.

Â