Home form / player form

Dodgyknees

We also average less possession under Lambert at home then we did under McLeish at home. Yet claiming the football played at home under Lambert isn't much better is dismissed as ludicrous and many still seem to think we are some sort of great passing team under Lambert where we can afford to play someone in the 'Leon Britton' role.

At least we didn't play hoofball today.

I thought today was a step forward in our home form. End result aside, there were a lot of positives, and in all fairness we should've at least picked up a point. It was clearly our best home effort so far.

All we needed was an in-form Benteke, which we didn't have.

I agree with this. The result is frustrating but we played the right way today -- not on the counter, not holding out for a draw, not hoofball. I would add that all we needed was an in-form Benteke, and an in-form Agbonlahor, and an in-form Weimann. Lots of good chances went to waste today.

• Like 1

I thought today was a step forward in our home form. End result aside, there were a lot of positives, and in all fairness we should've at least picked up a point. It was clearly our best home effort so far.

All we needed was an in-form Benteke, which we didn't have.

I agree with this. The result is frustrating but we played the right way today -- not on the counter, not holding out for a draw, not hoofball. I would add that all we needed was an in-form Benteke, and an in-form Agbonlahor, and an in-form Weimann. Lots of good chances went to waste today.

We are always chasing games that is the problem we have only scored first once in 9 games, The one game we did score first we won, today was weird because we started well for once.

Edited by lmarsha_926

We also average less possession under Lambert at home then we did under McLeish at home. Yet claiming the football played at home under Lambert isn't much better is dismissed as ludicrous and many still seem to think we are some sort of great passing team under Lambert where we can afford to play someone in the 'Leon Britton' role. 

It is ludicrous though. Not that I wouldn't like to see us keep possession more, but we're far more exciting to watch at home than we were under McLeish, albeit results don't seem to be much different. Also, let's not forget that in our first 4 home fixtures we've faced Newcastle, Liverpool, Man City and Everton. The latter 3 are always going to have more possession than us anyway.

I don't  think we are inconsistent at home, we have been consistently shit at home for over 2 years. Other than dabbling with the black occult and having the occasional animal sacrifice I really do not know what the  Villa can do.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

It is ludicrous though. Not that I wouldn't like to see us keep possession more, but we're far more exciting to watch at home than we were under McLeish, albeit results don't seem to be much different. Also, let's not forget that in our first 4 home fixtures we've faced Newcastle, Liverpool, Man City and Everton. The latter 3 are always going to have more possession than us anyway.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I can only think of three very good home performances under Lambert. If you think we are exciting at home then I envy you. Just the same insipid rubbish for me. We don't score much more often then under McLeish. 27 goals in 24 home games under Lambert compared to 20 goals in 19 home games under McLeish. We never had possession in the 30's under McLeish as we do under Lambert. Nor did we get battered at home to relegation fodder like Wigan.

As I have said before, it is a chore watching home games under both. It is depressing that there is no home game anymore where I expect us to win.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I can only think of three very good home performances under Lambert. If you think we are exciting at home then I envy you. Just the same insipid rubbish for me. We don't score much more often then under McLeish. 27 goals in 24 home games under Lambert compared to 20 goals in 19 home games under McLeish. We never had possession in the 30's under McLeish as we do under Lambert. Nor did we get battered at home to relegation fodder like Wigan.

As I have said before, it is a chore watching home games under both. It is depressing that there is no home game anymore where I expect us to win.

But most of the time we are exciting to watch at home. I'm not disputing that we're very poor at home, but I really don't know how you can claim we're almost as boring as under McLeish. Almost as shit yes, but nowhere near as boring.

But most of the time we are exciting to watch at home. I'm not disputing that we're very poor at home, but I really don't know how you can claim we're almost as boring as under McLeish. Almost as shit yes, but nowhere near as boring.

Most of the time exciting?! Like I say, I envy you if you see it like that...

Edited by Isa

Most of the time exciting?! Like I say, I envy you if you see it like that...

Yes. Remember that that's a lot different to actually being good.

I think our home form says less about our squad and more about us as fans. Been a villa fan for 20 years and its never been fortress villa park. I remember relegation threatened teams long coming to us and turning us over. Even in more recent times during O'Neill's tenure we struggled.

I sometimes wonder if we'd hinder our players, I even think Lambert has alluded to that fact in some of his post match press conferences this season. Talking about players learning to thrive while playing at VP.

Finally I think the atmosphere has changed from last season. We were defiant at times, supporting the team to the hilt, after home defeats to Wigan and going out the cup the way we did, the crowd could have been forgiven for turning on the team, but we all saw the bigger picture. We had to survive last year.

Now all of a sudden, the VP crowd have given up and most fans seem to be reclined in they're seat, expecting to be entertained. Why is this the case?

Mcleish was lucky enough to have a bugger squad at his disposal to be fair.

We've had to cut back and those players who have come in are not yet first team ready. I believe they will be, but once again we will be playing catch up. 

We have gone from McLeish having a bugger squad to Lambert's 'Buggered' squad in quite a short amount of time.

Very predictable result. Its worrying that once again, even when playing ok and creating not just half chances but guilt edged should be scoring chances we once again contrived to snatch defeat in a game we should have got something from. Defending is a lot better than last season, but still every mistake made invariably leads to the ball in our net. Its gone beyond being unlucky. Its a psychological problem or a gypsy curse.

Of the ever present premier league teams, in those 20 odd seasons we must have the lowest points earned ar home total of those teams.

• Like 1

Â