Home form / player form

Dodgyknees

Our home form is a worry but if you compare the same fixtures at home last season we are three points better off. I'm just trying to put a positive slant on things.

The only one positive I can take from our home form is the guy sitting behind me, his random outbursts are amazing :) he makes losing worth while to honest.

I still think our home form may turn out to be not quite as bad as it seems. 4 of the 5 teams we've played at home so far this season are a lot better than us anyway. To me our opening set of fixtures was so ridiculously hard that I think it's hard to judge things definitively yet. I mean, we've played 6 of last season's top 7 in our opening 9 games. That's just **** ridiculous.

Before I get my head bitten off I'm not saying we're not poor at home.

Edited by Mantis

We also average less possession under Lambert at home then we did under McLeish at home. Yet claiming the football played at home under Lambert isn't much better is dismissed as ludicrous and many still seem to think we are some sort of great passing team under Lambert where we can afford to play someone in the 'Leon Britton' role. 

Possession stats = style of football agreed

I don't  think we are inconsistent at home, we have been consistently shit at home for over 2 years. Other than dabbling with the black occult and having the occasional animal sacrifice I really do not know what the  Villa can do.

its a lot longer than 2 years. villa park hasnt been a fortress for at least 10 years

I think our home form says less about our squad and more about us as fans. Been a villa fan for 20 years and its never been fortress villa park. I remember relegation threatened teams long coming to us and turning us over. Even in more recent times during O'Neill's tenure we struggled.

I sometimes wonder if we'd hinder our players, I even think Lambert has alluded to that fact in some of his post match press conferences this season. Talking about players learning to thrive while playing at VP.

Finally I think the atmosphere has changed from last season. We were defiant at times, supporting the team to the hilt, after home defeats to Wigan and going out the cup the way we did, the crowd could have been forgiven for turning on the team, but we all saw the bigger picture. We had to survive last year.

Now all of a sudden, the VP crowd have given up and most fans seem to be reclined in they're seat, expecting to be entertained. Why is this the case?

I often see things like this written but find them quite unfair and actually based on yesterday I would say baffling.

I sit in the Holte Upper and we were singing

Almost non-stop in the first half, and for large parts of the second half (until the game was dead at 2-0). I thought it was the Everton fans who we very poor, didn't hear a squeak out of them until they were winning.

Now I can't speak for other parts of the ground but this is not unusual in the Holte Upper, as long as the game is alive I think the atmosphere is far from the worst in the league at Villa Park.

Can't personally remember when the home form at VP meant we could consider it a fortress. Anyways onto this season,  the home form has been nothing but embarrassing, 3 out of a possible 15 (0 if not for luck) means not sorting it out will again mean another season, a 4th consecutive, of relegation worries. 

Yes, if you want to use the 'we have played the bigger teams' argument, we've played 6 of the top 7 last season, which is pretty much madness. But at the same time we have played 2 of them away from home and should have more than just 3; a certain friend, well more like word removed. 

At home we have played not including City or Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs, who all took advantage of tactical errors from PL. Liverpool took advantage of 4-4-2 and decided to sit back and soak up the pressure from scoring, Spurs, who didn't look like anything special, just controlled the midfield and Everton (despite a number of chances) took advantage of the midfield battle where Westwood was easily bullied by Barkley and Co. Point I'm making is its down to poor tactics and some players e.g. Agbonlahor, Weimann and Westwood not living up to their reputations of last season.

The only players who have looked decent at home (when played) have been Guzan, Bacuna, Baker, Luna, Delph.

I don't think it's fair to say "0 if not for luck". We won the City game fair and square. You mention luck but I thought we were pretty unlucky yesterday for example.

Yes and we were slightly unfortunate to loose against Liverpool i thought. 

I don't think it's fair to say "0 if not for luck". We won the City game fair and square. You mention luck but I thought we were pretty unlucky yesterday for example.

Fair and square lol, come on, are you being serious. We got battered for the opening 45 and were lucky to go into the break only 1 down. Expect for Bacuna's free-kick the other two were lucky as; KEA was offside for the 1st and Weimann couldn't miss the 3rd even if he tried his hardest.

Fair and square lol, come on, are you being serious. We got battered for the opening 45 and were lucky to go into the break only 1 down. Expect for Bacuna's free-kick the other two were lucky as; KEA was offside for the 1st and Weimann couldn't miss the 3rd even if he tried his hardest.

So? It counts just as much as every other win. It's not like we cheated or anything.

I think it's really silly that you're trying to dismiss a win against a team like City just because we didn't outplay them.

Edited by Mantis

So? It counts just as much as every other win. It's not like we cheated or anything.

I think it's really silly that you're trying to dismiss a win against a team like City just because we didn't outplay them.

I'm not dismissing the win against City, I'm saying we were lucky to beat them, very lucky indeed. 

I'm not dismissing the win against City, I'm saying we were lucky to beat them, very lucky indeed. 

And we were unlucky to lose to Everton yesterday. What's your point?

My point, my point, well my point is we were unlucky against Everton, I'm not saying we weren't and never have, just adding the formation we played should of included Sylla in the squad.

Well yeah I agree with that.

It just seems a little unfair to say we'd have 0 points if not for "luck" when there are home games we've also been unlucky in.

My point, my point, well my point is we were unlucky against Everton, I'm not saying we weren't and never have, just adding the formation we played should of included Sylla in the squad.

Well yeah I agree with that.

It just seems a little unfair to say we'd have 0 points if not for "luck" when there are home games we've also been unlucky in.

Well we would of had 0 points if it weren't for luck e.g. the City game was luck, luck at its very finest :P

To stop this going in circles, I'm going to step in.

Mantis is saying that in the same vein that Man City was 'luck', losing to Everton was 'luck' so we could have 3 points either way.

Carry on.

• Like 2

To stop this going in circles, I'm going to step in.

Mantis is saying that in the same vein that Man City was 'luck', losing to Everton was 'luck' so we could have 3 points either way.

Carry on.

Exactly. If we hadn't been unlucky against Chelsea and Everton we would've had 3/4/6 more points by now.

Edited by Mantis

Can't include Chelsea as this thread is about the home form :) I've never once disagreed with the fact we were unlucky against Everton, only thing I've said is that PL should of played Sylla as Westwood was torn to threads in that midfield yesterday and the City game we were lucky to get a point. If I annoy anyone with my correct views there is also the ignore poster button :)

Can't include Chelsea as this thread is about the home form :) I've never once disagreed with the fact we were unlucky against Everton, only thing I've said is that PL should of played Sylla as Westwood was torn to threads in that midfield yesterday and the City game we were lucky to get a point. If I annoy anyone with my correct views there is also the ignore poster button :)

It's not that you said we were lucky against City that bothers me, it was the way you tried to dismiss it.

Â