What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Anyone ever have to have a dual mass flywheel replaced?

pic_for_arm_and_leg.jpg

I haven't personally, but I know people who have and it sure ain't cheap. Another reason why I'm keeping my old school diesel Focus until it dies a death, single mass flywheel.

Never fancied a Vauxhall.

£480 doesn't sound too bad, is that with a company that someone you know has used? May be worth googling for some reviews on line if not, just in case.  

But I bet you knew that already!  :D

• Like 1

Never fancied a Vauxhall.

£480 doesn't sound too bad, is that with a company that someone you know has used? May be worth googling for some reviews on line if not, just in case.

But I bet you knew that already! :D

http://www.autobutler.co.uk/workshops/b5-5pl-birmingham-district-b-birmingham-west-midlands-england/ace-autos

It's this place. Autobutler got me the quote. Sorry mods if not allowed to post links in this way.

DMFs seem to be around the £200+ mark for a pattern part so £50ish / hour labour makes it a 6 or 7 hour job. £480 sounds reasonable.

Does the clutch have to get changed at the same time?

I would think so. Perhaps they're only quoting for 4 hours or something. The gearbox will have to come off the engine but it's not the biggest job ever.

There are short cuts on some FWD drive cars, garages will use these but still charge for the full time, crafty sods. I had a work mate, who used to be a garage mechanic, change a clutch for me on a Fiesta. I did some of the work up to the gearbox coming off. By the time I'd made a cup of tea he'd done it!!

This thread has gone all technical all of a sudden. Whats a flywheel ? Does it live under the bumpy thing in front of the front window. Where the noise comes from 

It does indeed, just behind the hamster wheel.

This thread has gone all technical all of a sudden. Whats a flywheel ? Does it live under the bumpy thing in front of the front window. Where the noise comes from 

It does indeed, just behind the hamster wheel.

If it goes round too fast does the rubber band snap ?

I don't know but found out mine is actually a dual mass which should make it better but in fact makes it shit!

I think DMFs are something that OEMs fit but don't really need to. Some drivers replace theirs with single mass and just report a less smooth change from 1st to 2nd. I think they act as a sort of shock absorber for the drive train. I've even read of people having theirs welded up.

• Like 2

Anyone give me advice on driving up really steep hills? My brothers friend basically lives up the mountain. I'll take a pic next time I'm up there but it is insanely steep and very high, your ears pop as you come down. Anyway last time I drove up it I couldn't really accelerate and foot was to the floor, car was under a bit of pressure, should I be in a certain gear or what?

Amo69
If you intend to keep the car then you should get the clutch done at the same time as the DMF (and the Slave cylinder too).

If it is a worn clutch that has wiped out the DMF then it might do the new one too.

Â