What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

If you don't know what you're doing maybe. I can honestly say mine handles beautifully, takes any corner or roundabout with ease.

All those years of crap car making by the American car industry and all along it was solely down to my inability to drive ... Who'd have known

It may be great for driving to Lidl but try driving one up Mt Evans and you'll soon see what I mean

Not that I agree or disagree with VA or Tony.

But being able to navigate a roundabout is probably the minimum requirement of a car's handling.

Its not exactly proof that a car handles well, is it?

Edited by Stevo985

But being able to navigate a roundabout is probably the minimum requirement of a car's handling.

That's what's good about riding a bike, you can just go over the top of them.

That's what's good about riding a bike, you can just go over the top of them.

I wouldn't be able to do that.

If I rode a bike I'd have to take all the back roads to make sure nobody who knew me had any chance if seeing me.

• Like 2

I think maybe different people like / want different things from their cars.

I like mine soft sprung, quiet, fast and automatic. But then I'm doing 45k miles a year, something with live steering a manual box and stiff shocks would kill me. 

I wouldn't be able to do that.

If I rode a bike I'd have to take all the back roads to make sure nobody who knew me had any chance if seeing me.

You wouldn't feel like that if you were on my bike.

How would you define handling well?

Cornering seem to be what most people bring up about American cars.

My point was, any car can negotiate a roundabout. A shopping trolley can handle a roundabout. Doesn't make it good at handling.

Bad handling cars don't go straight on when you're trying to go round a corner on the way to work.

So saying "my car can easily go round a roundabout" is like saying "Ronaldo is good because he can kick a ball".

But again, don't think I'm disagreeing with your general point. I'm just playing silly buggers.

I lean on your side of the debate. American cars handling badly is a stereotype.

Don't get me wrong, its one based on some truth. Some notoriously do (or did) handle badly. But that doesn't mean they ALL handle badly, especially more modern ones.

My point was, any car can negotiate a roundabout. A shopping trolley can handle a roundabout. Doesn't make it good at handling.

Bad handling cars don't go straight on when you're trying to go round a corner on the way to work.

So saying "my car can easily go round a roundabout" is like saying "Ronaldo is good because he can kick a ball".

But again, don't think I'm disagreeing with your general point. I'm just playing silly buggers.

I lean on your side of the debate. American cars handling badly is a stereotype.

Don't get me wrong, its one based on some truth. Some notoriously do (or did) handle badly. But that doesn't mean they ALL handle badly, especially more modern ones.

But... what defines good handling? ;) That's all I ask.

Well it depends on what you want out of the car, but to name a few things...

Stability whilst cornering, lack of roll, grip, weight distribution (and appropriate load transfer), right amount of under/oversteer (nil most of the time), ride quality during, lack of braking weave, wheels don't lock under braking, support for driver/passengers etc etc

Not "it can go round a roundabout"

Edited by Stevo985

Stability whilst cornering, lack of roll, grip, weight distribution (and appropriate load transfer), right amount of under/oversteer (nil most of the time), ride quality during, lack of braking weave, wheels don't lock under braking, support for driver/passengers etc etc

My point about the roundabouts is that is one of the two things people bring up "it can't go round corners though, can it? hahaha" "Bet you can't go round a roundabout, hahaha" :rolleyes:  obviously people who have never driven one and get their opinions from TV.

So by your definition, I can say that a 60s Mustang handles well, and it does.

The power steering is fantastic too ;)

Like I said. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I've never driven a mustang.

Glad to hear it handles so well.

I think I'd let you drive mine if our paths should ever cross... though don't hold me to that :thumb:

the country that gave us the Morris Marina, Austin Princess and triumph Spitfire can't really generalise about handling

Yes but we learnt from it ... closed our factories down and got someone else to build them

the country that gave us the Morris Marina, Austin Princess and triumph Spitfire can't really generalise about handling

Yes but we learnt from it ... closed our factories down and got someone else to build them

that's a very Redwoodian definition of learning if I may say so

I also forgot my Dolomite, you really did need muscles the size of a Merthyr girl's arse to get that thing to take a corner.

obviously people who have never driven one and get their opinions from TV.

But some of us crazy types sorta headed west ,skipped past the land of the leprechaun and found this huge great land mass and all it had to offer and despite not being expert enough to use a steering wheel were blessed with a hertz gold card and allowed to drive automobiles for themselves ... And so I can say without the need for Stephen fry to think it for me , that much as I like America there are certain things they just can't do ... 1 is irony , 2 is decent cheese and 3 is make decent cars

Â