World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

I've heard a few people suggest that group stages usually have the lowest attendance in most WC. While I know we are only in round 2 of the group stages, is there anywhere that shows data that can show attendance for only group stage games from previous WC vs this one?

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

There are other aspects too. It’s important to not fall down the whataboutism hole. It’s what FIFA wants us to do.

China’s olympics was bad, Russia’s World Cup and Olympics were bad. Qatar is bad.

It’s possible to hold several thoughts in one’s head without pulling up the whatabout card.

In conclusion. FIFA and IOC are corrupt bastards.

I’d argue you’re the one pulling the whatabout card here though.

You’re saying that Russia’s World Cup and China’s Olympics were bad but really none of the coverage at the time reflected that, whereas all the coverage of Qatar for the same issues has been extremely negative across all the media. Even this thread is full of people celebrating that viewing figures for Qatar are down compared to Russia, a place even worse than Qatar.

Claiming that people pointing out that this seems indicative of a racist viewpoint are indulging in whataboutism just seems a lazy way of dismissing criticism (or any need for self reflection).

7 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I’d argue you’re the one pulling the whatabout card here though.

You’re saying that Russia’s World Cup and China’s Olympics were bad but really none of the coverage at the time reflected that, whereas all the coverage of Qatar for the same issues has been extremely negative across all the media. Even this thread is full of people celebrating that viewing figures for Qatar are down compared to Russia, a place even worse than Qatar.

Claiming that people pointing out that this seems indicative of a racist viewpoint are indulging in whataboutism just seems a lazy way of dismissing criticism (or any need for self reflection).

That's a dig against FIFA rather than Qatar as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I've heard a few people suggest that group stages usually have the lowest attendance in most WC. While I know we are only in round 2 of the group stages, is there anywhere that shows data that can show attendance for only group stage games from previous WC vs this one?

since the group stages are being hyped its hard to tell what is really the Qatar attendances

So far Qatar has higher attendances per match than the last World Cup but lower than every other tournament since 2002

• Thanks 1

Just now, sne said:

That's a dig against FIFA rather than Qatar as far as I'm concerned.

Could be if it’s being posted on here, yeah. But very little of the general media coverage I’ve seen mentions FIFA and its issues. Most of it seems squarely aimed at Qatar.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Could be if it’s being posted on here, yeah. But very little of the general media coverage I’ve seen mentions FIFA and its issues. Most of it seems squarely aimed at Qatar.

Ah OK, I don't really follow English media unless it's Villa related.

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s stuff like presenters being asked to justify why they’re even going to the country to cover the World Cup. I’ve never seen that before.

Kind of agreeing with your point of view.

There may be sticks to beat Qatar with, but it all seems to deflect from the real issue here.

FIFA are the real scumbags. While everyone rags on Qatar, FIFA meanwhile are getting less of the blame, and I think they may be secretly happy about Qatar taking the hits for their shithousery.

22 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s stuff like presenters being asked to justify why they’re even going to the country to cover the World Cup. I’ve never seen that before.

In fairness this is bullshit media, Danny Murphy or Micah Richards are struggling to talk about football. They really should not be asked questions about something they have no idea about 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

There is definitely an element of racism thrown in with the criticism. Russia got off much more lightly. 

I don’t think that’s true at all. The people who are at the front of the Norwegian boycott movement, at least, are as far from racist as you can be. It’s my impression that this is true for the rest of the movement too. 

• Like 1

Doubt it really matters as I'm fairly sure it's already been decided but this WC being a failure on as many levels as possible is imo the only thing that could stop FIFA from putting the WC in Saudi Arabia in 2030 or 2034.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Doubt it really matters as I'm fairly sure it's already been decided but this WC being a failure on as many levels as possible is imo the only thing that could stop FIFA from putting the WC in Saudi Arabia in 2030 or 2034.

Which is really what we are fighting for, isn’t it? Do whatever we can do to prevent this from happening.

And you’re right. Qatar being a failure helps that cause.

Infantino falling backwards onto something sharp and deadly would also help, of course. 

• Like 2

Midfield the issue. Bellingham believing his own hype and trotting around the pitch. He has to get back and help Rice out when we lose possession. Rice is protecting that backline on his own first half.

Started too slow and lethargic and it's continued the whole half 

Saka and Sterling far too narrow. It's like Gareth has got Gerrard in to sort this game out.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Russia more. It feels like we only found our voice when it was those backwards Arabs causing problems. 

A lot has happened since 2018 to give people more of an edge and to make people complain more. 

We've had Brexit go through, Trump doing what he did, Covid, further conflict in Ukraine, major climate change issues, BoJo, Truss. I'm sure I'm forgetting things. 

Social media has become more prolific and people have found their voices more. 

43 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I don’t think that’s true at all. The people who are at the front of the Norwegian boycott movement, at least, are as far from racist as you can be. It’s my impression that this is true for the rest of the movement too. 

What’s their justification for the boycott? Because FIFA awarded the tournament to a patently unsuitable country due to corruption? Or because Qatar is unfriendly to homosexuals and has a poor human rights record?

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

What’s their justification for the boycott? Because FIFA awarded the tournament to a patently unsuitable country due to corruption? Or because Qatar is unfriendly to homosexuals and has a poor human rights record?

Knowing Scandinavians I would imagine its more the latter

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

All of the above?

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Knowing Scandinavians I would imagine its more the latter

No, it’s very much a lot of both, but FIFA is the target of most of the criticism, is my impression. 

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

A lot has happened since 2018 to give people more of an edge and to make people complain more. 

We've had Brexit go through, Trump doing what he did, Covid, further conflict in Ukraine, major climate change issues, BoJo, Truss. I'm sure I'm forgetting things. 

Social media has become more prolific and people have found their voices more. 

This might be plausible if the 2022 Winter Olympics hadn’t happened at the start of this year without any serious calls to boycott it.

Â