FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Statement from Sepp... As we all predicted he'd play it this way.

This is a difficult time for football, the fans and for FIFA as an organisation. We understand the disappointment that many have expressed and I know that the events of today will impact the way in which many people view us.

As unfortunate as these events are, it should be clear that we welcome the actions and the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken to root out any wrongdoing in football.

While there will be many who are frustrated with the pace of change, I would like to stress the actions that we have taken and will continue to take. In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year.

Let me be clear: such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game. Following the events of today, the independent Ethics Committee – which is in the midst of its own proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups - took swift action to provisionally ban those individuals named by the authorities from any football-related activities at the national and international level. These actions are on top of similar steps that FIFA has taken over the past year to exclude any members who violate our own Code of Ethics.

We will continue to work with the relevant authorities and we will work vigorously within FIFA in order to root out any misconduct, to regain your trust and ensure that football worldwide is free from wrongdoing.

Fifa.com

Edited by Genie

surely a government meddling in football matters is enough for FIFA to ban USA national team like they have with other countries

The US national team has absolutely nothing to do with this. I bet the players are watching this unfold as we are. It's not like they are behind some master scheme to overthrow Blatter. This was done through the FBI. You can't hold the national team accountable for something the government is doing. 

I vaguely remember Cameroon being suspended but can't remember why. I don't think FIFA would want to further invoke the wraith of the USA. Suspended USA would certainly cause an uproar world wide. 

Surely Blatter's position is untenable.

You can't be in charge with this sort of controversy and keep your job, surely.

In any other organisation he'd be standing down for the good of the organisation. No doubt Teflon Sepp will keep his job once again.

Surely Blatter's position is untenable.

You can't be in charge with this sort of controversy and keep your job, surely.

In any other organisation he'd be standing down for the good of the organisation. No doubt Teflon Sepp will keep his job once again.

You'd think so eh? He's either totally corrupt or totally incompetent, neither of which you want in the head of FIFA.

I see UEFA have now threatened to boycott Friday's meeting and want the election postponed...

If there was ever a time to strike while the iron is hot...everyone who wants transparency and an end to the stench and rot of systemic corruption needs to pile on and cleanse FIFA top to bottom.

I think the United States are only interested in preventing Russia from having the World Cup. The investigation should be led by Swiss authorities seeing as it's a Swiss-based organisation also.

Also from The Mirror

Russia: "Illegal exterritorial use of US law"

Russia has accused the US of acting illegally following the FBI-led investigation in Zurich.

The 2018 World Cup in 2018 is due to be played in Russia and while that fact does not appear to be under threat at the moment the Russian foreign ministry was clearly unimpressed with the US's actions.

A statement on their website read: “Without going into the details of the accusations... this is clearly another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law.

“We hope that this will not in any way be used to cast a shadow on the international football organisation as a whole and its decisions.

“Once again we are calling on Washington to stop attempts to make justice far beyond its borders using its legal norms and to follow the generally accepted international legal procedures."

Whilst Putin and his chums NEVER get up to shit on other people's turf do they?

Lawyers/Tanks.....its all the same.

• Like 2

If this were any other organisation, Blatter would be toast. I sincerely hope they get him and we can slowly start fixing football.

• Like 1

Russia: "Illegal exterritorial use of US law"

Russia has accused the US of acting illegally following the FBI-led investigation in Zurich.

The 2018 World Cup in 2018 is due to be played in Russia and while that fact does not appear to be under threat at the moment the Russian foreign ministry was clearly unimpressed with the US's actions.

A statement on their website read: “Without going into the details of the accusations... this is clearly another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law.

“We hope that this will not in any way be used to cast a shadow on the international football organisation as a whole and its decisions.

“Once again we are calling on Washington to stop attempts to make justice far beyond its borders using its legal norms and to follow the generally accepted international legal procedures."

No, it isn't. They are being sent to the US because the Swiss agree with them, and it's crime going through US institutions. Shut up, Russia, you're just as bad with what you get up to. For a developed country, remind me what your global peace index is? Urgh, Putin's lot have as much humility as Sepp does.

• Like 1

No, it isn't. They are being sent to the US because the Swiss agree with them, and it's crime going through US institutions. Shut up, Russia, you're just as bad with what you get up to. For a developed country, remind me what your global peace index is? Urgh, Putin's lot have as much humility as Sepp does.

Definition of a developing country: Nation with a low living standard, undeveloped industrial base, and low Human Development Index (HDI= standards of living & Quality of life). The World Bank classifies all low- and middle-income countries as developing. 

Â