God Bless America

tonyh29

with apologies to the American VT'ers it's only fair that you get your own thread for this one 

Nina Davuluri has been hit with Twitter abuse after becoming the first woman of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America.

After her victory in Atlantic City, the 24-year-old beauty queen, who was born in Syracuse, New York, and is believed to be a practising Hindu, said: "I'm so happy this organisation has embraced diversity.

"I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America."

Some people accused her of not being American, others said she was an Arab and looked like a terrorist.

"I am literally soo mad right now a ARAB won. #MissAmerica"

"How the **** does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots"

"It's called Miss America. Get outta here New York you look like a terrorist. #bye #americanforamerica"

"Well they just picked a Muslim for Miss America. That must've made Obama happy. Maybe he had a vote."

I know it's Twatter and only a small minority but having been accused of being Australian every time I visit the States it's clearly time they started to teach geography at American schools  ....

BOF, on 16 Sept 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

You're always going to get some reactions like that. In a country of 300 million people, many of whom get their opinion on foreigners from Fox News, I'd be surprised if there weren't a selection of horrible tweets. I'm not going to lambast the whole country for it though. There are plenty of other sticks to beat America with and I feel sorry for the many intelligent and informed Americans who just have to sit back and accept that they can do nothing about the way the rest of the world views their country when stuff like the above happens.

Just remember that this America that's being criticised is the very same America that just voted this woman as their beauty queen in the first place.

feel free , the thread doesn't just restrict it to this example :)

I like America , and the American people  that I've encountered along the way  ( I spent 6 years working for an American bank so encountered them daily during that time)  .... some of the nicest people on Villatalk are Americans  ... but saying that this is Villatalk so you know how it goes :)

feel free , the thread doesn't just restrict it to this example :)

No I think I'll keep it to the surveillance thread. I've absolutely no problem with the American public. They're without doubt the friendliest people I've ever met (I can even now detect the sometimes fake 'have a nice day' you get from people who'd rather stab you in the eye). My problem is entirely with the people who run the place. If anything I sympathise with the American people because they're in an ever-increasingly restrictive police state. The tweets above could easily be seen as being symptomatic of what they're being fed by their media. Calling people terrorists as a default reaction is a consequence of them being told that 'this is what terrorists look like' by irresponsible news media paid to perpetuate fear to keep up support of foreign policies that aren't in their interests.
  • Like 1

dont see the shock. their is idiots like that everywhere not just in USA, was similar here from Irish people about the Queen visit a year or two ago. Twitter and Facebook etc is now just a platform for these idiots to have their opinions made more open to the public

Â