God Bless America

tonyh29

Well there is that. "Who discovered America?" can be countered by "Who was waving at them from the beach as they landed?". 'Discovered it' for the old world morelike. And isn't it true that Columbus only called the natives 'Indians' because he thought he was in India? Which is what he set off looking for in the first place.

Well there is that. "Who discovered America?" can be countered by "Who was waving at them from the beach as they landed?". 'Discovered it' for the old world morelike. And isn't it true that Columbus only called the natives 'Indians' because he thought he was in India? Which is what he set off looking for in the first place.

Well world civilisation is European. There is no ifs and buts about it. The world is Europeanised or the more common term is westernised. So discovered America would be Columbus. He didn't know he had discovered it, but he still did.

Well world civilisation is European. There is no ifs and buts about it. The world is Europeanised or the more common term is westernised. So discovered America would be Columbus. He didn't know he had discovered it, but he still did.

Yes that's true to a point but it does only cover one definition of the word 'discovered'. His was the discovery that mattered most because as you say his was the one that resulted in America being colonised. But in a discussion of who 'discovered it first' and even then we're ignoring the 'native American Indian' as an answer, we don't really know. And it's no doubt fruitless even discussing it :)

We are more comfortable with a westernised 'european' world. So, in that respect and given that the world leans towards the superpowers of the day, God Bless America is probably about right. At present, by any stretch of a definition of a superpower the choices appear to be:

China

Russia

USA

Europe

Obviously at present Europe and China are weaker. China is only just changing it's attitude and flexing it's muscle internationally, Europe is a little conflicted, not knowing whether to stick or twist on the total union front. For all the banter and genuine criticism of the USA and it's odd attitudes to freedom and fair trading, the alternatives of Russia and / or China do appear far worse.

• Like 2

BOF, on 16 Sept 2013 - 2:17 PM, said:

It's said that to the day he died he still thought he had found a western sea route to Asia 

If I recall Columbus never got " that"  close to America .... he landed in the Bahamas' and then Dominican Republic ..I'm not even sure he ever set foot in America itself

villa4europe, on 16 Sept 2013 - 3:26 PM, said:villa4europe, on 16 Sept 2013 - 3:26 PM, said:

Nina+Davuluri.jpg

shes ok at best

probably won by being 200 lb lighter than her other American rivals :)

even allowing for the heavily Photoshop picture there , I've seen much prettier Indian women  ..heck I saw one in Woking yesterday that was so pretty I lost one of my kids whilst I  was staring at her

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â