God Bless America

tonyh29

feel free , the thread doesn't just restrict it to this example :)

No I think I'll keep it to the surveillance thread. I've absolutely no problem with the American public. They're without doubt the friendliest people I've ever met (I can even now detect the sometimes fake 'have a nice day' you get from people who'd rather stab you in the eye). My problem is entirely with the people who run the place. If anything I sympathise with the American people because they're in an ever-increasingly restrictive police state. The tweets above could easily be seen as being symptomatic of what they're being fed by their media. Calling people terrorists as a default reaction is a consequence of them being told that 'this is what terrorists look like' by irresponsible news media paid to perpetuate fear to keep up support of foreign policies that aren't in their interests.

I'm not sure that it is down to the media  tbh  .... I think the old joke of "Here be dragons" once you leave the Atlantic / Pacific coasts of America and the other humours world maps have an element of truth in them

I wouldn't call it ignorance , probably more isolation and the fact that a lot of Americans don't really travel outside the US or appear to have any interest in events outside of the US

We went to a friends wedding in Boston years back and on finding out my wife was Hungarian , one guest asked her " Do you have trees in Hungary "  ... I think she thought Hungary was a desert land or something

I agree with you about American people , we travelled all around it last year and everywhere we went they always made us feel welcome , engaged you in conversation etc   , even the shop assistants leave you with that warm welcome feeling rather than the "i'm only here to earn my drink money " type attitude you get in UK shops ( John Lewis being the main exception)  ... due to a bus issue at the Smithsonian (airport one)  it was necessary to resort to cabs back to DC , which were thin on the ground  .. a family got theirs and then asked if I'd like to share it with them and then paid for the cab and wouldn't let me make any contribution   .. and it was going on with other cabs as well as best I could see  ... you probably wouldn't get that type of attitude in the UK , instead people would probably be  walking 100 foot down the road trying to steal a cab before it hit the rank

but as I say .. despite this , they will still get a ribbing from me :)

BOF, on 16 Sept 2013 - 1:24 PM, said:

As does Brendan the Voyager :)

Denied .... his story loses any credibility for referencing God :)

i.e  "A sea creature approaches the boat, but God shifts the sea to protect the men. Another sea creature comes, chops the first into three pieces, and leaves. The men eat the dead sea creature

I'm not sure that it is down to the media  tbh  .... I think the old joke of "Here be dragons" once you leave the Atlantic / Pacific coasts of America and the other humours world maps have an element of truth in them

I wouldn't call it ignorance , probably more isolation and the fact that a lot of Americans don't really travel outside the US or appear to have any interest in events outside of the US

It's one thing to be ignorant of things outside your shores. It's quite another to have the 'pseudo-informed' opinion that someone is an arab and a terrorist. That kind of opinion has been given to you by your media. It's not something they dreamt up on their own. Which is what I'm getting at. Plenty of them rely on their TV media as their sole news source so they haven't a hope of being in any way clued in to what's actually happening.

But Leif and Brendan are basically mythical constructs. Good stories, great for getting the tourist dollars in. 

But where is the evidence?

When early settlers visited east coast america they noted three things of the local natives;

they spoke a strange tongue like Welsh

they had boats similar in design to Welsh coracles

the ladies sported a heavy 'tache and ginger monobrow combo 

BOF, on 16 Sept 2013 - 1:24 PM, said:

As does Brendan the Voyager :)

Denied .... his story loses any credibility for referencing God :)

i.e  "A sea creature approaches the boat, but God shifts the sea to protect the men. Another sea creature comes, chops the first into three pieces, and leaves. The men eat the dead sea creature

Pah, we were all religious back then over here. Doesn't mean the mentalists didn't go out and do stuff off the back of it though.

I long ago thought that there should be a referendum in Massachusetts over who discovered America.

The Italian community are really big on the whole Columbus thing. The Irish have Brendan the Navigator. There's a sizable Portuguese community. It'd be the Battle Royale of ethnic warfare and lovely to behold.

• Like 1

America is too big and this Miss America stuff is big down in the redneck states. There are more differences between your average New Yorkers and his fellow American from Birmingham, Alabama than there is between a Parisean and someone from Solihull.

Plus weren't teenage girls threatening Gabbys life on Twitter after he hurt the kid from One Direction? It's Twitter.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, the only two Asian (UK sense) Americans to be elected state governor are both far-right (by GOP standards!) Republicans:

481px-Nikki_Haley_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

483px-Bobby_Jindal_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

I luv Bobby Jindal

Edited by legov

Once upon a time I was chatting to a couple of American girls (on holiday in Vegas).  I explained to them that my accent was because I'm from another country called England.  I was then asked what language that we speak there.  I was so shocked I had a complete sarcasm failure and answered honesty.  Probably for the best as they went on to compliment my American. 

Twitter is like a constant solar flare. You just need to be able to carefully extract the right particles in order to make it useful, or rather in order to render it more than utterly useless.

nah, this is why twitter is great

as is skype and e-mail and youtube and all of it

you can see for yourself that the world is full of idiots and also lovely people

You can see that there are blokes in Syria who just want a job that will provide for their family, that there are people in Libya that just want to open an icecream franchise and people in Alabama that don't care what colour you are. It's a means for real people to get the message out that people are people. It just shows that schools and homes need to teach kids the arts of research, fact checking, critical thinking, filtering etc etc...

When did the Native Americans first step foot on America?

They crossed over from Russia during the last ice age and were then cutoff from civilisation until Europeans turned up at the end of the 15th Century Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

When did the Native Americans first step foot on America?

The precise 'when' is unknown but the 'how' is becoming more generally accepted to be the land bridge theory that suggests people moved from Russia to Alaska across a frozen piece of sea, meaning that even 'native Americans' are immigrants too. They just got there first :)
  • Like 2

Â