Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

someone explain this to me: why is the six nations seen as being in any way relevant or valuable as a sporting prize? It's the same teams every year, and it's 5 games. Each team has a 1 in 6 shot of winning it on paper (though obviously not in reality), and there's no qualifying for it or anything like that. I've never been able to understand the importance put on it by people. maybe if it wasn't every year or something, but jesus the amount of people on my facebook going nuts over Ireland winning the thing is ridiculous

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Great farewell to BOD though.

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 1

Why is the premier league such a big deal then? That can only be realistically won by the same 4/5 teams and is every year.

It's been going for nearly 100 years, it's pretty much the only competitive International rugby outside of the World Cup and the Rugby Championship.

The premier league has featured 46 teams since its first season, has been won by 5 teams and features 380 games per season, with transfers allowed in and out of clubs so it's not the same pool of international players.

Completely, completely different kettle of fish

someone explain this to me: why is the six nations seen as being in any way relevant or valuable as a sporting prize? It's the same teams every year, and it's 5 games. Each team has a 1 in 6 shot of winning it on paper (though obviously not in reality), and there's no qualifying for it or anything like that. I've never been able to understand the importance put on it by people. maybe if it wasn't every year or something, but jesus the amount of people on my facebook going nuts over Ireland winning the thing is ridiculous

It's the annual tournament between the main international rugby teams in the northern hemisphere just as the Rugby Championship (formerly Tri Nations) is the annual tournament between the main international rugby teams in the southern hemisphere.

I'm not sure why you would consider it 'irrelevant' or not a valuable sporting prize?

Winning the six nations isn't a Grand Slam, that's for sure, but it's still winning a competitive tournament.

Edited by snowychap

It's the annual tournament between the main international rugby teams in the northern hemisphere just as the Rugby Championship (formerly Tri Nations) is the annual tournament between the main international rugby teams in the southern hemisphere.

I'm not sure why you would consider it 'irrelevant' or not a valuable sporting prize?

Winning the six nations isn't a Grand Slam, that's for sure, but it's still winning a competitive tournament.

I think what I don't get is the fact that it's annual, has so few teams, is international (no transfers etc.) and doesn't require qualification. I just don't see how that can be regarded as a major competition in any sport

Or different interpretations of the word "major"?

Fine - you have a different interpretation of what you consider to be a 'major sporting competition' (different to the vast majority of people following a particular sport, I guess).

By your criteria above, you've made both the Six Nations and The Rugby Championship not 'major competitions' (I guess you'd discount the Lions series, too) and thus have reduced rugby's major international competition solely to the World Cup.

I guess when you apply that to golf, say, they have no major international competitions (Walker Cup, Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and so on) as they all fall foul of most (if not all) of your criteria.

Cricket (proper stuff not one dayers) wouldn't have any 'major sporting competitions', either?

I think you ought to take up your problems with people's reactions to the Ireland Six Nations victory with those concerned on 'your facebook' rather than coming on here suggesting that the Six Nations is irrelevant and not a valuable sporting competition.

Edited by snowychap

I've always had a soft spot for O'Driscoll, based purely on the fact that we are almost exactly the same age (he is about a week older than me) so for that reason alone if England couldn't win in then I am glad Ireland did. 

• Like 1

Â