Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

By your criteria above, you've made both the Six Nations and The Rugby Championship not 'major competitions' (I guess you'd discount the Lions series, too) and thus have reduced rugby's major international competition solely to the World Cup.

What's so wrong with just having a world cup? Why not have a European Championship every 4 years, alternating every second year with the World Cup like in football? It's the annual nature of it I suppose that really just devalues the whole thing for me. Weren't the one of six who won this year? No problem, wait 12 months and give it another go. There's no real consequence to a good or bad performance when it's annual and has so few teams in it IMO. And yes, I'd discount the Lions series too, I never understood that either

I guess when you apply that to golf, say, they have no major international competitions (Walker Cup, Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and so on) as they all fall foul of most (if not all) of your criteria.
Cricket (proper stuff not one dayers) wouldn't have any 'major sporting competitions', either?

Golf is an individual sport, it has no need for dedicated international tournaments when the field at any major event is international anyway. The Ryder Cup is at least every 2nd year though, so there's some gravity to winning or not winning I suppose.

Again, Cricket doesn't  really need it either. It functions just fine without it. It's not trying to shoehorn anything in there to give a handful of teams a chance to pseudo compete for something that doesn't really matter a toss

First and only post here so not sure where the covo is at. Such a strong performance from a young England team this Six Nations and they should all be extremely proud of themselves. Not a doubt in my mind that these players will go on to achieve great things.

What's so wrong with just having a world cup? Why not have a European Championship every 4 years, alternating every second year with the World Cup like in football?

Why does it have to be like football? Thankfully, it's a different sport.

It's not as though someone has recently come up with the idea of the Six Nations - this competitive tournament has been played, in one form or another (with a few years out for wars and suchlike), since the 1880s.

Golf is an individual sport, it has no need for dedicated international tournaments when the field at any major event is international anyway.

Except it does have team competitions (at all levels) and , for a large number of those following the sport and for those playing in them (be they amateurs or professionals), The Ryder Cup, The Presidents Cup, The Walker Cup, The Solheim Cup and so on are major international competitions.

a handful of teams a chance to pseudo compete for something that doesn't really matter a toss to me

Fixed for you.

Your first post was a whine about facebook which should have gone in the things that piss you off but shouldn't thread where it belongs.

• Like 2

And what would the teams do between competitions? They are too good to have to qualify for tournaments compared to the teams that do have to go through it.

I would miss not having the 6 nations every year, far more exciting than international football.

Ireland deserved it. England weren't far from a grand slam, but still came close. Re: wingers I agree.. but you forget how young Nowell and May are. Bit of bulk on them and 3 years experience for England and this will be an incredibly complete team. To go and give Italy a stuffing like they did in Rome is quite impressive, and they should've scored more.

Ireland edge it but real high hopes for England. 

Scotland though :(

This years 6N has been fantastic - some excellent displays from England and my personal favourite part was witnessing Wales' luck finally running out (the last dregs were used up in the victory against France!).

However, I wouldn't mind seeing the 6 Nations being re-formatted slightly - in that there are two 'divisions' competing at the same time. Division 1, made up of the existing 6 Nations and Division 2, consisting of European teams such as Romania, Spain (and other developing Rugby countries)

The Wooden Spoon 'winner' of the 6 Nations top division (which would be Italy this year) would either be relegated, or have a play-off against the winner of the 2nd tier (ie Romania/Spain) in order to compete in the top division the next season.

IMO, this would add an extra element to not coming last and would also be a great incentive for 'lesser' rugbying Nations to improve their game and potential.

(I'm sure the Scotch wouldn't want this as I fear if they were relegated to Division 2, we'd never see them again!!!!)

• Like 1

...Division 2, consisting of European teams such as Romania, Spain (and other developing Rugby countries)

There is the European Nations Cup, isn't there?

Though, obviously, without promotion/relegation between the top division there and the Six Nations.

And it's be Georgia/Romania rather than Romania/Spain, I guess.

If I were seriously reformatting then I'd bring South Africa to the six nations.  It will never ever ever happen because they've got a good thing going on in the southern hemisphere and they are kinda needed down there, but it makes sense from a logistical point of view. South Africa is quite a lot closer geographically to Western Europe than it is to Australia or New Zealand (Argentina is about the same distance as Italy from SA) and as the travel is north/south instead of east/west then the time zones are so much more convenient for TV.  Jo'burg is -1 hour from Paris and Rome, -2 hours from the UK whereas it's +9 hours from Sydney, +11 from Auckland and -5 from Buenos Aires. 

Not long dragged my ass out of bed following the annual super Saturday Cardiff all dayer, the highlight of which was having a girl stolen off me by Dan Lydiate! Nice guy though :).

Well done to Ireland, although I think it's fair to say that the second best team won. I can't believe the French guy missed that kick. How much must he have been paid to do that?! Can't begrudge BOD a win in his final tournament, though. It's going to be strange watching it without him next year. What a player.

Delighted with England's progress and performances. Stuart Lancaster is doing an absolutely wonderful job.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Hartley could be in the shit.

If he did bite Youngs then I guess that's his international career finally over.

He won't get punished for it, there wasn't any evidence of it on the replays, it's just pretty much Hartley's word against Youngs'.

Having said that, when watching I did suspect he was guilty due to the fact he got immediately defensive as soon as Barnes said there's been an allegation of a bite, despite not saying who made the allegation.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Â