Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

So today York under 11's festival. We, Ionians are quite a good side. We can't compete at the moment with the public schools. The only reason is public schools all play Rugby. This means they have a school team and play for a local team. So they are training once a week with the local team and twice a week at school. Our lads get no rugby at school. But next year at big school, they will, so the gap closes. Anyway we are the best of the rest. We can't play a league, RFU rules don't allow it for a couple of years. So we play friendlies and festivals, the festival is like a cup all in one day. We won the festival last week. So this is a big one. The teams are drawn out into two groups, totally fairly, except the home team York, get drawn in the weakest group you could imagine. We thrashed everyone in that group last week. And we end up in the public school group. OK So we beat the weakest school first. Then we narrowly beat the next team. Now for the big one. This team have won this trophy for the last three years. No doubt they are a good side, very good. But dirty as buggery, they know every trick in the book, offsides when the ref can't see. Sliding in with knees when the second man in the ruck. etc. They really push fair play to the limit. So first half, we are up hill and against a strong wind. They score an early try. A minute later a second, quite clearly offside on the blind side so the ref couldn't see. Next move our number 10 clatters their number 10. Great tackle. Then three of their forwards knees in on our lad to retrieve the ball. Penalty to us. We don't score from the play. Our opponents are angry, you don't tackle us, you don't hurt us we're great we are, we do that to you. They were, not great sports. So my lad make a crunching tackle near our line, takes their lad into touch. On the ground he kicks my lad in the neck. As he gets up he swings a punch into the back of the head of our winger. The ref was miles from play, but caught up just in time to see the winger smack their lad a good 'un in the nose. Down he goes crying. The half time whistle blows, our lad didn't get sent off, I think a neutral parent must have told the ref it was 50 50. We are angry now. Wind behind us and down hill. Straight from the kick off, we are in their face. Within 2 minutes two of their lads are down crying, all legal hard tackles, remember these lads are just used to winning. So the next open play, our winger makes a drive, two of their lads take him into touch, right by where their parents are standing. This time a knee in the back and another punch while he's on the ground. George had had enough. He just decked this lad. The parents, obviously missed the knee and the punch to George Only seeing him punch. Now the dad, who's lad got the smack. Grabbed our lad and threw him, he must have gone back about 10 foot. Georges Dad was straight in their and had this bloke by the throat, saying that's an 11 year old your assaulting. Now the Giles and Charlotte's were screaming, don't you touch our Hugo's and Tarquins. Our lads were over in support for George, were were ready for them. What happens, the ref abandons the game. 

We have never been a dirty team, we have been undone before by teams with more nous, those who push fair play to the limit. But as parents, we new some team was going to push it, and we would fight back. 

We may have lost the match, but those public schoolboys will know we are never to be pushed around again.

• Like 1

11 year olds were playing that dirty? :huh: Typical public schoolboys I suppose. Playing football once, just a kick around more than anything, a friend of ours brought a friend, who brought his friend along, from some public school, and he just kept kicking me in the shins any chance he got until I'd had enough. He was running with the ball towards me and I waited, he was beginning to smirk, then suddenly BAM! The old flying knee into the chest routine. He went down in tears. I laughed. Didn't have any more trouble from him.

He didn't lose his cockiness though, he later got in the face of my friend who unbeknownst to him, was pretty seriously into Karate. Also, he was raised pretty much by just his mum so he is quite protective of her, so when this kid made the mistake of using the line "your mum!" he punched him right in the face and went straight down... again.

Never played football with us again bizarrely.

• 1 month later...

On Saturday it's the big one, two of the biggest rivals come together to fight it out for a chance at the biggest trophy in Rugby.

Netherlands vs Germany World Cup qualifier.

I hope this game is online!

• 5 weeks later...

I thought the abuse that Cipriani got from the crowd was just disgusting.

Holding up a sign that says "Danny Cipriani listens to Nickelback" is just going too far.

Didn't watch the game, I was asleep, but got to say I'm encouraged that we only lost 20-15 with practically our whole team missing, hopefully with all our Sarries and Saints players back we can give them a good game next week!

Add in all our currently injured players, and we have a very, very strong squad for 2015 :D

I thought we played pretty well even allowing for some sloppy handling on occasions.

Robshaw looked really good; Eastmond showed something in the centre; Burns was pretty sound (put up a couple of excellent kicks and tackled decently); the scrum, at times, was immense and the lineout looked very solid apart from that one tap back towards the end.

A really encouraging showing considering that there are the likes of Lawes, Care, Corbisiero, Ford, Farrell, Burrell, Trees, & more still to be considered.

I like the look of how this side has developed and is still developing but we do have to become more clinical (which seems to be a regular problem for England sides). We should have put away at least one of those breaks from Robshaw/Eastmond/Manu (without Nonu's intervention we probably would have done with the first) and we're going to have to learn to do that if we want to be challenging for the World Cup.

It's going to be harsh on anyone in that XV that doesn't feature in the next test. I'm would certainly keep Morgan over Vunipola and probably retain Eastmond at 12. I would bring Lawes back in as he's potentially our best player but Parling was really good today.

A quick word on Chris Robshaw - that guy is an absolute warrior and the most underrated player in world rugby. Another absolutely outstanding game and he got the better of McCaw. Hopefully won't be too long before he shakes the unwarranted tag of being nothing more than a solid workhorse.

• Like 1

If anyone's watching, the All Blacks have moved up gears in this second half.

Yes. I saw the first half and have listened to the second so far.

England have got to be more clinical because we perhaps should have been more points ahead in the first half.

Fair play to New Zealand, though.

Â