Colombian National Team

ForeroGabe

The Colombian national team looks great leading up the the 2014 World Cup. A lot of young talent and also proven talent. Me being Colombian will certainly root for them as the dark horses for the WC. And being in 2nd in the South American qualifiers also shows their quality. What do you guys think?

I always used to look out for Colombia's results when Angel played for us as he was my favourite player but I haven't really paid much attention since he left.

I wish them well though, still my favourite South American country because of Angel (an honourable mention to Valderrama and Higuita)

know guarin but he'd never looked as good as the hype has made him sound, Rodriguez obviously and the falcao, as with any  team ever, a goalscorer will always give you a chance

anyone who has any interest in them should watch the 2 escobars, to be fair anyone with any interest in football should watch it, great documentary

The Colombian national team were heavily tipped to do well in the world cup 20 years ago weren't they? Same story again perhaps. I have always loved Colombia because of Asprilla, Rincon, Valderama. They have had some real characters in their time.

Also Colombia has some stunning women.

Strange story .. Angel was one of the main things that made me follow Villa at first !

I like Columbia team and I follow them in Copa America ..

Colombia not Columbia. I don't usually pick people up on spelling, but I know Colombians are anal when it comes to spelling Colombia with an O.

Strange story .. Angel was one of the main things that made me follow Villa at first !

I like Columbia team and I follow them in Copa America ..

Colombia not Columbia. I don't usually pick people up on spelling, but I know Colombians are anal when it comes to spelling Colombia with an O.

*snigger*

Edited by AVFCforever1991

The Colombian national team looks great leading up the the 2014 World Cup. A lot of young talent and also proven talent. Me being Colombian will certainly root for them as the dark horses for the WC. And being in 2nd in the South American qualifiers also shows their quality. What do you guys think?

¿Que mas parcero? :)

(No soy colombiano pues) 

The Colombian national team were heavily tipped to do well in the world cup 20 years ago weren't they? Same story again perhaps. I have always loved Colombia because of Asprilla, Rincon, Valderama. They have had some real characters in their time.

Also Colombia has some stunning women.

Ha I knew you'd comment this :D

432px-ColumbiaStahrArtwork.jpg

Columbia is a historical and poetic name used for the United States of America and is also the name of its female personification. It has inspired the names of many persons, places, objects, institutions, and companies, such as the District of Columbia, the national capital, and Columbia University. Columbia was largely displaced as the female symbol of the U.S. by the Statue of Liberty circa 1920.

Columbia is a New Latin toponym, combining a stem Columb- based on the surname of the explorer Christopher Columbus and an ending -ia, common in Latin names of countries (e.g. Britannia "Britain", Gallia "Gaul"). The meaning is therefore "Land of Columbus."

The name Columbia for "America" first appeared in 1738 in the weekly publication of the debates of the British Parliament in Edward Cave's The Gentleman's Magazine. Publication of Parliamentary debates was technically illegal, so the debates were issued under the thin disguise of Reports of the Debates of the Senate of Lilliput, and fictitious names were used for most individuals and placenames found in the record. Most of these were transparent anagrams or similar distortions of the real names; some few were taken directly from Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels; and a few others were classical or neoclassical in style. Such were Ierne for Ireland, Iberia for Spain, Noveborac for New York (from Eboracum, the Roman name for York), and Columbia for America—at the time used in the sense of "European colonies in the New World".

It's arguably as correct an anglicisation of Colombia as Italy is of Italia or Spain is Espana...

It's Colombia, I know 13 Colombians and they have all informed that it is that. B23avfc spent 2 months there, I'm sure he will agree with me on this. Anyway we are digressing from the actual topic which is the Colombia national team.

They play Ecuador and Uruguay next week. 4 points and they can officially book their hotels in Brazil.

I think the expectations in 94 were high for them. They had been predicted by pele (I think) to win the WC. They were under a lot of pressure. This World Cup the expectations are less and we are more of dark horses. We go in with nothing to lose and not as much pressure as in 94. Although there still in a little pressure haha

That's just reminded me of poor old Andres Escobar. I would say 'ask your dad' to the kids who post on here but then I remembered the answer to every question is probably on YouTube. 

So yeah. He got murdered for scoring this own goal. :( 

Will be great to see them in the world cup again, it's been too long.

Pretty good team although Yepes still as a regular at 38 is a big concern.

Still no idea what pot they'll be in for the draw but imagine if them and Belgium get drawn in a group with one of the top seeds!

Â