Front 6

Richard

How do you fit them in?

I'm calling it as a front 6 as that then allows you to alter formations.  I think we'll be having 4 at the back and the discussions on who they are aren't really as interesting as the front six,  certainly doesn't give as many options especially when it comes to formation changes

So if we sign an AM how do you arrange a front 6,  who do you pick,  is it different for home or away? ,  what formations do you use?

We'll have;

Delph

Sylla

Westwood

KEA

Bacuna

Tonev

Gardner

New AM

Helenius

Weimann

Agbonlahor

Benteke

Note I am only including those I think likely to feature in first team this season,  so Nzogbia,  Albrighton,  Herd I think wont feature much at all and Bowery only as a sub in cup games,  but who knows you may think different

I am thinking two formations,  one for away where we can rely on teams coming at us suiting our counter attacking ways?  So maybe a 3-3 front six with those in the first team as

Westwood  Sylla  Delph

Weimann            Gabby

Beast

And others on the bench to come on?

And at home maybe a 2-1-3 formation

Westwood        Delph

New AM

Weimann         Gabby

Beast

I'd keep the 3 in midfield as 3. However I would alter the front 3 for certain games with the AM floating behind Benteke and one other, or putting them on the flank swapping with the other. I think the 4-3 has to remain to keep us solid, as seen at weekend, if we change this, weakens us.

How do you fit them in?

I'm calling it as a front 6 as that then allows you to alter formations. I think we'll be having 4 at the back and the discussions on who they are aren't really as interesting as the front six, certainly doesn't give as many options especially when it comes to formation changes

So if we sign an AM how do you arrange a front 6, who do you pick, is it different for home or away? , what formations do you use?

We'll have;

Delph

Sylla

Westwood

KEA

Bacuna

Tonev

Gardner

New AM

Helenius

Weimann

Agbonlahor

Benteke

Note I am only including those I think likely to feature in first team this season, so Nzogbia, Albrighton, Herd I think wont feature much at all and Bowery only as a sub in cup games, but who knows you may think different

I am thinking two formations, one for away where we can rely on teams coming at us suiting our counter attacking ways? So maybe a 3-3 front six with those in the first team as

Westwood Sylla Delph

Weimann Gabby

Beast

And others on the bench to come on?

And at home maybe a 2-1-3 formation

Westwood Delph

New AM

Weimann Gabby

Beast

Yep pretty much how I see it, with Kea/Bacuna swapping with Sylla/Delph depending on form and fitness.

With then Helenious/Tonev swapping with Aw/Gabby.

In reality it is actually a front 4 or attacking 4 if you like. Benteke is the out & out front man. Gabby & Weimann providing the width & hopefully this would leave our AM in the hole pulling the strings. This would be supported by 2 holding midfield players & a standard back 4.

When we lose the ball Gabby & Weimann can work back to help their fellow midfielders & full backs & make us compact & the AM can also drop into central midfield which effectively means we become a 4 5 1 formation.

One of our biggest assets is that we have 2 really fast & exciting full backs in Luna & Lowton so when we are at home we can really get them forward on the overlap & this is how I believe in time we will begin to destroy teams. Plus you have the speed of Okore to cover & sweep across behind them if we get caught on the counter along with the help of the 2 defensive holding midfield players. Away from home we will be under pressure so it will be harder for our full backs to get forward but our front 3 have already proven how swiftly we can counter attack so that problem is already taken care of.

The real conundrum is who plays the 2 central midfield holding roles?  Especially at home? For me one of them has to be Sylla when he becomes fully fit as we really do need that touch of steel in the middle of the park.Then you surely have to play Westwood too as he is possibly our best out & out footballer in the team & definitely the most under rated for sure. He keeps the ball moving with such consummate ease that he is a joy to behold. The AM also needs to be able to drop in & work back when we're under pressure so that we effectively have a solid 3 in the middle.

For me it's currently Sylla, Westwood, Delph

This might sound controversial but I would go Sylla Westwood AM if we do decide to go out & buy one before the deadline.

Would you drop Delph on his current form?

Difficult decision isn't it?

Fortunately Lambo knows the answers & luckily for me Lambo makes the decisions.

Which ever way you spin it though 3 into 4 doesn't go & we definitely need that Attacking Midfielder, no question.

Depend on the game tbh ..

I think Tonev a give more impact to the wing than Weimann ..

I think we better rotate them with Helenius too ..

An AM who we play against lesser sides at home .. + If we were chasing a game ..

Atm .. We need to start with three midfielders beginning with Newcastle ..

Westwood ..

Sylla .. Delph ..

If we had a new AM .. We might introduce him in the second have .. But we need to be tight at the beginning ..

Last season we thrashed Sunderland by the same formation ..

the three we usually pick.. whether its Ahmadi or Sylla.. Westwood or Delph.. They are all quite similar players. Hard working.. quite deep and cant attack for shit.

So i think.. an AM should play with two of the above.. Sylla should play in a tough side like Chelsea Man City.. and against the easier opposition maybe Delph with Westwood and the AM.

the three we usually pick.. whether its Ahmadi or Sylla.. Westwood or Delph.. They are all quite similar players. Hard working.. quite deep and cant attack for shit.

So i think.. an AM should play with two of the above.. Sylla should play in a tough side like Chelsea Man City.. and against the easier opposition maybe Delph with Westwood and the AM.

I agree with you ..

But many times you find our team isn't strong in the midfield .. One could argue that we played N'Zogbia or Weimann as AM though .. 

So I want to see a proper AM in our side .. and how would it balance it !

That's why I wanted Belhanda because he could do a CM job ..

Not sure about Kiyotake though .. although we really need him due to his great passing and set pieces and play making in general ..

For me Westwood is a one who I won't touch ..

Delph , Sylla , KEA and AM .. I'll rotate those .. 

Although benching Delph is harsh atm .. confusing !

Anyway this is better that not having options !

I think that in order to play our high-intensity, pressing game, we'll always need a solid midfield 3 from a combo of Westwood, Sylla, KEA, Delph. Having Bacuna in there the other day showed that for the front 3 to work, we need 3 intense, running midfielders.

IF we buy a new AM then I would think the man more under threat would be Weimann at the moment - depends if he's a wide, cutting-in type player though.

I think that in order to play our high-intensity, pressing game, we'll always need a solid midfield 3 from a combo of Westwood, Sylla, KEA, Delph. Having Bacuna in there the other day showed that for the front 3 to work, we need 3 intense, running midfielders.

IF we buy a new AM then I would think the man more under threat would be Weimann at the moment - depends if he's a wide, cutting-in type player though.

could end up a 4-3-1-2 in that case, but the 1 (the new AM) would have to be very very good and find space centrally and wide. Probably gabby and Benteke up front with AW as cover. width woudl have to come from the fullbacks, but that all sounds quite Lambert style to me.

Would like an AM that also could play out right. So it would be:

Westwood, El Ahmadi, Delph

Weimann/New Player    Agbonlahor

Benteke

When we play fast counter attack against better sides, and:

Westwood, Delph

New Player

Weimann     Agbonlahor

Benteke

When we play against weaker sides and a more likely to attack an established defence.

Edited by K-Carlsen

Gabby and Benteke up front.

AM behind them. 3 central midfielders behind the AM.

Instead of having Gabby and Wiemann wide. Just have Gabby up top snapping up all the second balls that Benteke wins. AM can supply them.

Wiemann can rotate with Gabby however on current form would be benched.

Easily doable and then easily switch back to our current style.

i think certain names will be garenteed their name on the list providing theyre fit

looks like PL will be keeping the 4-3-3, so there will no longer be wingers, which may see albrigton gone or have to adapt his game to either CAM or RWF

i think when playing defensively, away maybe or at home to the top 6...

westwood - sylla - delph

of course el ahmadi can deputise for either of these

if playing a more attacking style, one of the above my be dropped, probably sylla, in favour of someone like tonev, gardner, bacuna or a new ACM if we get one

as for attack, its a no brainer, andi - tekkers - gabby, with helenius back up to benteke and tonev back up to andi or gabby

i personally would like to see more kids see the cup games if we get that far, grealish, carruthers and drennan

I would say Kozak is back up, Lambert says he is going t take the burden off Benteke, so front 6 stays as is, but we have a great back up for injuries and suspensions. 

KEA Westwood Delph

Wieman, Benteke, Gabby

Back up

Bacuna, Sylla, Gardner

Helenius, Kozak, Tonev

I think Lambert knows that people will suss out our 4-3-3 formation in many games this season, especially at Villa Park. 

I've a feeling this signing of Kozak is to add something to our front line and not the simplistic view that he's just a back up for Benteke. If the opposition are playing too deep you will take off Gabby and stick this fella on and you now have someone who can capitalise on the over marking Benteke is going to have.

I'm thinking double substitutions of Kozak and Tonev coming on and a switch to 4-4-2 we need more options at home imo. Especially against teams who will sit back to nulify Gabbys pace and out counter attacking. 

Also we all know as a matter of fact Benteke is off next summer. So having 2 strikers in there competing for the soon to be vacant place is good for us

Â