Kenny Swain

withes_shin

Has anybody else read this from the OS about Graham Taylor?

"But they were certainly heading for the Cup scrapheap after a first half in which Allan Evans, Martin Keown and Derek Mountfield were run ragged bya lively Crewe forward line led by Kenny Swain, who had not played at centre forward since his days with Chelsea.

The former Villa favourite, who played of course at left-back in the 1981 First Division season, very nearly caused a real shock in the famous competition"

Left Back? - Bloody left back!!

Swain wore no.2 and was the best right back in the league

Left back was split between Colin Gibson and Gary Williams, of course

• Like 1

Fortunately we turned that 2-0 HT 3rd rnd FA Cup deficit around & won 3-2. A game famous for GT's famous HT teamtalk:

"You got us into this mess, now go out there & get us out of it!" which we duly did.

Kenny Swain -  thanks to Ron Saunders,easily one of the best right backs our club has ever had. Bettered only by John Gidman & Mark Delaney IMO.

• Like 1

A friend had a small book called something like '500 facts about Aston Villa'. It was littered with mistakes such as us beating Manchester United in the 1996 league cup final. Maybe it was the publisher's fault but you'd think some historian connected to the club would check the facts. Really shoddy.

The site is full of typos. Pretty much every article I read has a grammatical error within it. Whoever is in charge of writing copy for that site needs to go back to university.

Fortunately we turned that 2-0 HT 3rd rnd FA Cup deficit around & won 3-2. A game famous for GT's famous HT teamtalk:

"You got us into this mess, now go out there & get us out of it!" which we duly did.

Kenny Swain - thanks to Ron Saunders,easily one of the best right backs our club has ever had. Bettered only by John Gidman & Mark Delaney IMO.

Swain was better than Delaney, I can never decide between swain and gidman as who's the best ever. I just give the edge to swain because he was a better defender.

• Like 1

Kenny Swain - thanks to Ron Saunders,easily one of the best right backs our club has ever had. Bettered only by John Gidman & Mark Delaney IMO.

Swain was better than Delaney, I can never decide between swain and gidman as who's the best ever. I just give the edge to swain because he was a better defender.

Really ? - I thought Giddy was the more solid defender - but Swain had the edge going forward - was a long time ago though.

What I do remember is my Bluenose mate smirking because Kenny Swain was being moved to right back ......he who laughs last.....

John Gidman was definitely the best Villa right back that I have ever seen. Some of his attacking runs with the ball down the wing were unreal. Truly sensational.

Everybody knows just how solid, reliable & dependable Kenny Swain was but Gidman was this & more.

Mark Delaney would also just edge out Swain too.

No disgrace there though because all 3 were top players.

• Like 1

Gidman was easily the best RB I've seen in a Villa shirt.....

....well apart from the time I played in Kenny Swain's shirt against Swansea City supporters' club that is. ;)

John Gidman was definitely the best Villa right back that I have ever seen. Some of his attacking runs with the ball down the wing were unreal. Truly sensational.

Everybody knows just how solid, reliable & dependable Kenny Swain was but Gidman was this & more.

Mark Delaney would also just edge out Swain too.

No disgrace there though because all 3 were top players.

I might concede gidman over swain but no way was Delaney better than swain. We are talking about a key member of a championship and European cup winning team. He was the best attacking right back in the league. Delaney was never that good.

• Like 1

Swain was class. We all know that, He played with great players that won the league & European Cup.

Delaney did not play in a remarkable team surrounded by top quality players & it is for that reason that I choose Delaney over Swain.

My order. Gidman, Delaney, Swain.

Also, Ron Saunders signed Mickey Pegic to play RB from Stoke prior to converting Kenny Swain to this position. Pegic was a mean son of a gun whose career was tragically ended by injury. There is every possibility that Pegic would have been ahead of both Delaney & Swain had his career not been aborted but sadly we will never know. He would not have been above Gidman though because he was truly sensational.

Swain was class. We all know that, He played with great players that won the league & European Cup.

Delaney did not play in a remarkable team surrounded by top quality players & it is for that reason that I choose Delaney over Swain.

My order. Gidman, Delaney, Swain.

Also, Ron Saunders signed Mickey Pegic to play RB from Stoke prior to converting Kenny Swain to this position. Pegic was a mean son of a gun whose career was tragically ended by injury. There is every possibility that Pegic would have been ahead of both Delaney & Swain had his career not been aborted but sadly we will never know. He would not have been above Gidman though because he was truly sensational.

Swain was IMO streets ahead of Delaney, who was little more than a solid pro. Pejic was bought more as a left back, his position at Stoke. I think both John Robson (who could genuinely play both sides) and Earl Barrett were better than Delaney - however, a cult hero of mine was Kevin Gage who played a key role in our promotion team......not blessed with talent, but a head case in the tackle with a great shot on him......it's all opinions though isn't it ?

Edited by King Cropley

We'll have to agree to differ then. Pejic was very strong physically. He was about 30 when we signed him though. He played at left back for Villa before Swain came didn't he? I cant remember who our right back was then. Gary Williams played at right back as well as left. Who actually replaced Gidman when sold to everton?

Gidman and Little stood out from the 1972 FA Youth cup winning team. His career didn't really move forward after leaving us for Everton. Guess he was a Liverpool lad anyway but shame we lost him, but maybe we had the best of him. Hard to say whether he would have been better than Swain during our glory years, but we were a lot better defensively 80/82 than we were when Gidman played.

Â