Kenny Swain

withes_shin

Swain was class. We all know that, He played with great players that won the league & European Cup.

Delaney did not play in a remarkable team surrounded by top quality players & it is for that reason that I choose Delaney over Swain.

My order. Gidman, Delaney, Swain.

Also, Ron Saunders signed Mickey Pegic to play RB from Stoke prior to converting Kenny Swain to this position. Pegic was a mean son of a gun whose career was tragically ended by injury. There is every possibility that Pegic would have been ahead of both Delaney & Swain had his career not been aborted but sadly we will never know. He would not have been above Gidman though because he was truly sensational.

Swain was IMO streets ahead of Delaney, who was little more than a solid pro. Pejic was bought more as a left back, his position at Stoke. I think both John Robson (who could genuinely play both sides) and Earl Barrett were better than Delaney - however, a cult hero of mine was Kevin Gage who played a key role in our promotion team......not blessed with talent, but a head case in the tackle with a great shot on him......it's all opinions though isn't it ?

John Robson is dead now isn't he? Sad he got MS at such a young age. A good player. I liked Kevin Gage. Did a good job for us in midfield when he was asked to play there. Yes just opinions! I actually think Lowton could end up in this list as well. Footballing wise he's as good as anyone we have had at Right Back.

As we are discussing this era. I was a huge fan of Alex Cropley! Any opinions on him please?

My username should be a clue !!

Regarding your earlier post, IIRC Saunders tried Deacy, Williams and a couple of youngsters at RB ( i think even Ivor Linton had to cover during one game !) after selling Gidman.....then decided on the master stroke of converting Kenny Swain

Alex Cropley was truly immense. He is most definitely the bravest footballer I have ever seen & he had the heart of a lion. He had a beautiful left foot too & though pint sized could tackle like a demon. He was truly fearless.

I would only put Paul McGrath ahead of him in my all time Villa greats, that's how highly I rated him.

My top 3 McGrath, Cropley, Cowans (both joint 2nd)

As we are discussing this era. I was a huge fan of Alex Cropley! Any opinions on him please?

My username should be a clue !!

Regarding your earlier post, IIRC Saunders tried Deacy, Williams and a couple of youngsters at RB ( i think even Ivor Linton had to cover during one game !) after selling Gidman.....then decided on the master stroke of converting Kenny Swain

:)  Oh yes Deacy played in the championship winning squad. Willaims played a lot of games at left back didn't he

Yes saw it heard the crunching noise. Dreadfull tackle. if that had of been nowadays Brown would have been banned for 10 games. Was he even booked?

& although we ran out 3-0 winners in that legendary game Ally Brown effectively ended the career of one of B6's finest ever products as poor Alex never truly recovered from that infamous tackle & was a pale shadow of himself after that.

Can't remember now if Brown was booked or not but it was a scandalous tackle.

That's a great article Turnbull.

Strange how the memory plays tricks too because I thought that incident happened about 20 mins into the game. The Villa Albion derby was always a bitter affair during the 70's & early 80's up until the time Albion became shit & disappeared down the leagues. The modern day Albion fixture is more akin to when we play Coventry although with their current mediocrity the Boggies are oncemore starting to try & get above their station.

Villa blues will always remain our true local derby though, no question.

I honestly think Matty Lowton will be our best ever right back.

After watching his confidence grow after THAT goal, the game he played against Sunderland was just incredible.

How many games which were won 6-1, including a hat trick, could you say that the right back was the best player on the pitch and by a good distance too?

I think, like Barry, he could play anywhere too. 

I honestly think Matty Lowton will be our best ever right back.

After watching his confidence grow after THAT goal, the game he played against Sunderland was just incredible.

How many games which were won 6-1, including a hat trick, could you say that the right back was the best player on the pitch and by a good distance too?

I think, like Barry, he could play anywhere too. 

Matty will have to go some to get anywhere near `Giddy` because that performance against Sunderland was very reminiscent of the standard regularly set by the great man in his Villa Park prime.

Really hope Lowton continues to improve & is up there challenging Swain, Delaney & Gidman in the Villa hall of fame.

• Like 1

Charlie Aitkin has the most appearances. He did play a large chunk of his career in div2/3 69-75 I think. Was he the best? Who are the other choices? Steve Staunton, Colin Gibson, Gary Williams, Alan Wright?

Colin Gibson gets my vote. He was also superb when he played on the left hand side of midfield too. Charlie Aitken is a Villa legend & it's a pity that his best years were behind him when we eventually reached the old 1st division in 1975. I've no doubt he would have cut it at the highest level though because he was so consistent & was a great crosser of the ball too.

Charlie had it all - he was a wingback before the term had ever been thought of. And a Villa man through and through. 

PaulC's suggestions are all worthy, too. 

I don't think anybody will ever beat or even get near to Charlie Aitken's all time club appearance record of 660 games.

Also I bet you could count on one hand the number of poor matches he played in all that time too. I genuinely can't ever remember Charlie Aitken having a bad game or giving away a really stupid goal through some monumental personal cock up.

It's a pity he didn't play at a higher level for a longer period because he was an excellent player. `Gibbo` obviously did though & that's why I chose him. Gary Williams too was also suberb, definitely Villa's best outfield player against Bayern in that Rotterdam Final.

Come on Matty, the challenge is there, let's see you step up to the plate & emulate the performances of all of the above Villa Legends,

Â