Belgian Football talents

Belgian guy

Janujaz has chosen to play for Belgium but Mirallas has said he should not be picked because he has not contributed towards the actual qualification process and he will take the place of someone who has. It's a difficult one to be honest, do you pick players who did not contribute towards Belgium getting there.

As we saw with Michael Owen in 1998 it can work.

Edited by Voinjama

Making a rule where a player has to have appeared at least once in qualifying would sort that out.

And what if a player is a whole year injured and gets just on time fit to participate at the tournament?

Or what if a player who played in qualification gets injured and the best replacement hasn't played in qualification.

A manager should be free to pick whatever squad he wants for a World Cup regardless of appearances in qualification.

The only way in which I would think this was wrong is if he has been promised a place in the squad in return for picking Belgium and he ends up going when he wouldn't have otherwise been picked.

Making a rule where a player has to have appeared at least once in qualifying would sort that out.

And what if a player is a whole year injured and gets just on time fit to participate at the tournament?

The same thing as if a player happens to be injury for a World Cup. Unlucky.

So because you missed the qualification games you can't play in the finals? That is just a bit daft.

So because you missed the qualification games you can't play in the finals? That is just a bit daft.

It's a bit daft players play for countries they have nothing to do with. It's football.

It's a bit daft players play for countries they have nothing to do with. It's football.

So because there are some daft rules in football we should introduce more daft rules? :) That is er…. daft ;)

Anyway, the rules that allow people to do the above are to do with far more than just football.

As for Januzaj he was born in Belgium so it shouldn't really matter how many if any qualifiers he has played in in my view.

gotta be kidding me? the boy was born raised and educated in Belgium. 

I was talking in general, not specifically about Januzaj. I hope he doesn't get picked, turning down call ups in qualifying only to declare yourself for the actual tournament. :crylaugh:

Its not his fault the belgian FA kept selecting him. his father made clear that he didn't wanted to choose yet and when he did he would contact the Bondscoach. 

Indeed. But that doesn't change my opinion that it's a bit crap to decline playing for your country... until you want a piece of the World Cup.

I agree its a bit crap but we have to respect the choises adnan and his father have made. Tbh i don't think he going to brasil.

Indeed. But that doesn't change my opinion that it's a bit crap to decline playing for your country... until you want a piece of the World Cup.

I agree its a bit crap but we have to respect the choises adnan and his father have made. Tbh i don't think he going to brasil.

Even with Benteke injured? I know they don't play the same position, but in terms of attackers I thought that would mean there would be room for him.

Even with Benteke injured? I know they don't play the same position, but in terms of attackers I thought that would mean there would be room for him.

Michy Batshuayi is probbaply going to be selected as 2nd striker after lukaku becomes #1 the only way januzaj is comming  as wilmots decide to consider mirallas 2nd striker so he has room for januzaj but i doubt januzaj wil be going to the WQ.

The lad's not long turned 19 years of age.  Choosing Belgium is about far more for him than just which team he wants to play for, as he could've chosen the countries of his ancestors too, so there's family and pride to consider too.

To expect him to have made a big decision like that any sooner is harsh imo.  I'm confident the World Cup will have had a major impact on his decision but he's done the right thing in taking his time to decide.

• Like 2

Â