Your sexual orientation - Choice or no choice ?

BOF

Your sexual orientation  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Your sexual orientation

• Your choice
    • No choice

Point taken PP, but I don't think that who or what we are is set in stone. Our personalities in my opinion are created by ourselves. At points in our lives we decide that we will react to certain situations in certain ways, and in doing so we create our "selves." I believe that you are who you decided to be, I also believe that because that's true, you could change it if you had the right impetus. I don't know if you've ever read "The Diceman" by Luke Reinhart, but he puts it a lot better than I.

If you are something, it's because you have decided it.

in some respects, but you cant control your genes..

Point taken PP, but I don't think that who or what we are is set in stone. Our personalities in my opinion are created by ourselves. At points in our lives we decide that we will react to certain situations in certain ways, and in doing so we create our "selves." I believe that you are who you decided to be, I also believe that because that's true, you could change it if you had the right impetus. I don't know if you've ever read "The Diceman" by Luke Reinhart, but he puts it a lot better than I.

If you are something, it's because you have decided it.

Not really, if that was true people who experienced the same things in life would have the same point of view, but the don't. There is much more to us than a blank canvas when we are born, it is really obvious.

for me, its a little from column A', a little from column B'...

we have choices, and learn and grow by them....

but some things are simply natural..

and theres nothing we can do to change those things permanently, if we wanted to..

right, iv had enough of this debate now.. i have defended my brothers honour for long enough, and now the big gayers are going to have to defend themselves..

pair of poofs...

:lol: :winkold:

You cant help who you fancy. Thats your cocks job and its too stupid to think.

How come ugly blokes can still get a shag from ugly women then? No-one in their right mind would fancy them but even the least attractive people get a shag now and again because they lower their standards

How come ugly blokes can still get a shag from ugly women then?

I think most straight blokes shag at least one hanging bird in their lives, to be honest, it's a bit of practise isn't it!

:winkold:

Ah yes we know that but

I can think of a fair few blokes who in the look dept are strictly unibond league and they have got girlfriends / wives etc who are of a similar league standing, yet they are totally in love with each other.

Now the point here is that, what or who you fancy can be conditioned by your own circumstances / experiences to a degree.

Theres no way on earth that ugly people would fancy other ugly people if they weren't so ugly themselves surely?

(I might have drunk a wee bit too much tramp juice at this point - apologies if I have :roll:)

(I might have drunk a wee bit too much tramp juice at this point - apologies if I have :roll:)

Yeah same here :cheers:

I kind of see what you're getting at, but that's about lowering your standards because you just know you wont be getting any fit fanny action because you're ugly.

That doesn't mean you will go for a bloke though...

if true catholics dont condemn homosexuals, then how come you are saying they need to get rid of their sin?

does that make you a hypocrite?

I don't condemn homosexuals. I don't go up to them and say, Oh, you're a fag and you're going to hell(which is what some extremists do, i.e Shirley Phelps). I regard homosexuality as a sin, and all sin no matter what they may be, has to gotten rid off. If I were to try to convert a homosexual, I wouldn't tell him/her straight away that homosexuality is a sin. These type of sensitive issues have to be talked about only after they accept Christ. If I immediately say straight out that he/she is a sinner because of homosexuality, I would only distance them from Church and religon.

When dealing with sinners, we have to be patient and only talk about their sin if they want us to. This may be out of place on a forum, but I do hope you turn back to religon, Pablo, and "help" your brothers. If you don't want to, it's okay, but I just want you to know that there are many Churches and many Catholics who do not discriminate against homosexuals, so don't bae your feelings and thoughts about religon on those Churches who do discriminate against homosexuals.

No hard feelings, I hope?

so while you express strong disapprroval of homosexuality, you makes judgements on homosexuals, etc, you dont act feel this is hypocritical, considering your earlier statement about "true cathlolics"?

where i come from, and dictionary definitions, that makes you a hypocrite..

whether thats directly, or indirectly, you think what you think, and are letting your feelings known on a public forum...

and i dont want to "help" my brothers..

they are fine and happy as they are...

as long as they are happy, then thats the most important thing....

and as i didnt care who they slept with before they admitted who they are, i wont start taking interest in who they sleep with now, now that that have admitted they are homosexuals..

You cant help who you fancy. Thats your cocks job and its too stupid to think.

How come ugly blokes can still get a shag from ugly women then? No-one in their right mind would fancy them but even the least attractive people get a shag now and again because they lower their standards

for the same reason that straight attractive men go for attractive women...

the fact that straight ugly men have to lower their standards but choose not to lower them enough to go with men, (utting off a large selection of possible sexual partners, when its hard enough to find them anyway, also adds credence to the thoughts that homosexuality is not a choice...

I regard homosexuality as a sin, and all sin no matter what they may be, has to gotten rid off

What about the enormous majority of homosexuals who don't believe that it is a sin that needs to be 'gotten rid of' (an opinion that the majority of heterosexual people hold as well). Earlier you said that you should respect other people's opinions if they are different. Last month I was best man at my best friend's wedding/civil ceremony (depending on which terminology you wish you use), and I can tell you for certain that he and his partner don't feel they need to get rid of any sin.

As these people hold this opinion, shouldn't you just let them be without fretting about them getting rid of 'their sin'?

Olenjiker has his views because of his religious beliefs. I disagree with those and having gone to Catholic school all my life I have realised how much of a cult the Catholic church really is (in my opinion). However, it is ok to have the beliefs he does as long as he doesn't proclaim to be right and doesn't discriminate. It is his opinion and he is entitled to it.

To me homosexuality is not a sin it is a natural path which cannot be cured. (And nor should it).

You cant help who you fancy. Thats your cocks job and its too stupid to think. Sexual Orientation is completely instinctive and not a "choice".

Agreed. Even animals can be homosexual, and I don't think it would be their choice or decision.

so while you express strong disapprroval of homosexuality, you makes judgements on homosexuals, etc, you dont act feel this is hypocritical, considering your earlier statement about "true cathlolics"?

where i come from, and dictionary definitions, that makes you a hypocrite..

whether thats directly, or indirectly, you think what you think, and are letting your feelings known on a public forum...

and i dont want to "help" my brothers..

they are fine and happy as they are...

as long as they are happy, then thats the most important thing....

and as i didnt care who they slept with before they admitted who they are, i wont start taking interest in who they sleep with now, now that that have admitted they are homosexuals..

Like I said. Catholics regard homosexuality as a Sin. I disapprove of it, just like all the other kinds of Sin in the world. Surely you should understand this? I said true Catholics don't condemn. I didn't say that they should not care about trying to help other people get rid of their Sin.

What do I have to say in order for you to not think that I am condemning Homosexuals without comprimising my beliefs? Just because I think homosexuality is a Sin and should be gotten rid of, I am condemning Homosexuals. I also think that lying is a sin, and should be gotten rid of, so does that mean I am condemning liars? You seem to think that as long as I maintain the fact that Homosexuality is a Sin, I'm condemning them.

It doesn't matter what kind of sin you have, I would still treat you the same way, whether you're Homosexual, a liar, a rapist, a pedophile, I'll still believe you have a Sin that needs to be gotten rid off.

You might as well say I condemn the whole world. After all, we all have sin and I believe we all need to get rid of it, so I guess, according to you, I'm condemning the whole world. I'm sorry if I have upset you or made you feel angry. I'm not trying to put myself up onto a pedestal and look down on Homosexuals. I never have and up to now still don't intend to. I don't know what kind of semantics you're playing at regarding the defination of condemnation, but I do mantain my claim that Homosexuality is a Sin, and has to be gotten rid of.

If Homosexuals don't regard it as Sin, and refuse to believe the Gospel, then I really cannot do anything to change their minds. It's their own decision, and their own lifestyle choice in the end.

I don't want to get into an argument with you, Pablo or you ml1dch. So I'm going to rest my case now. I hope you do too. There's no point arguing about religon on the internet. No one wins, maybe except the Devil, as he's gotten so many people pissed off already. Who knows, I may have fallen into his trap and pissed everybody off by posting here in the first place.

So, on a final note, I apologize to all those I've pissed off, and hope you bear no grudges against me.

God bless.

Do you really think homosexuals choose freely and happily to be gay? Not a single person is happy when they realise that they are homosexual. It's a difficult way of life they lead and their decision or choice is not about being homosexual or not, but making the best out of their god-given nature.

Â