Your sexual orientation - Choice or no choice ?

BOF

Your sexual orientation  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Your sexual orientation

• Your choice
    • No choice

Do you choose your sexual orientation or is it genetic, in that you can't choose?

The adoption thread has wandered onto this debate and opinion seems split as to what people think.

Some think that your sexuality is a combination of personal choices, upbringing & environment and that it is not pre-determined.

Others think you do not have a choice in whether you 'fancy girls or boys'. That it is genetic.

What do you think ?

according to my two gay brothers, they have always found males atractive, even when younger...

thanks to the general publics attitude, they attempted to suppress those thoughts as they thought it was wrong, and tried to have relationships with women...

which obviously didnt work out in the long term and was very unfair on the women in question..

but eventually, they were finally honest with themselves and accepted their sexuality....

they say that they didnt "learn" to be gay...

they just are...

as its become more socially "accepted", more people are actually admitting their sexuality and being open about it..

both have said that given the choice, they would be hetrosexual, have a family and walk into the distance towards candyfloss grass and lollipop trees...

but they dont have a choice, and as it happens, are as happy as they have ever been and not living a lie.....

according to my two gay brothers, they have always found males atractive, even when younger...

but if it is genetic wouldn't that mean that you would have to have the same tendancies ??

but if it is genetic wouldn't that mean that you would have to have the same tendancies ??

No, in the same way that, for example, a sibling can get a gene from a parent and you mightn't get it. And your argument also implies that all siblings have the same hair colour, the same everything really.

No obviously not. My sister is a bit of a trog (sorry sis) yet I am an Adonis of a man!!!

You don't "learn" sexuality IMO. It's not like learning English.

It "comes" from within, pardon the pun.

You don't learn to be straight or gay - i think you're born with it.

It's innate, IMHO.

If you have to "learn" something like that, if it doesn't come from within, then maybe you're forcing yourself to feel something that's not there ....

my brother has blonde hair, i dont...

our genetics might come from the same parents, but they are obviously different in certain respects...

eg, the blonde hair, different coloured eyes, me not being a gayer, etc...

Being gay is a lifestyle choice, and a perfectly legitimate one at that. In my opinion you are not born gay. What worries me about the "born gay" argument is then we get into the messy and dangerous situation of genetics, eugenics and people looking for "cures".

Not really RICO because a 'cure' suggests there's something wrong. IMO genetically it's just different in the same way that Pablo's brother is blonde and he's not. There's something different in the 'make-up' (pardon the pun).

Being gay is a lifestyle choice, and a perfectly legitimate one at that. In my opinion you are not born gay. What worries me about the "born gay" argument is then we get into the messy and dangerous situation of genetics, eugenics and people looking for "cures".

True,but the other side of the argument like certain religious groups think you can be "cured" from homosexuality. Its a puzzle I tell ya!!

our genetics might come from the same parents, but they are obviously different in certain respects...

but if your family has a histroy of cancer , heart attack etc , then you are at a higher risk of having these problems ..so if there is a gay genetic surely there must be a chance that gene is lurking somewhere in you and other fmaily members ...... unless of course there is no such gene , which I guess depends whcih side of the debate your on

how can it be genetic, if any of your ancestors were gay you wouldn't exist

That's been answered. Two blondes can give birth to a brunette. Genetics isn't as simple as 'what went before shall be from now on'.

a lifstyle choice based upon favouring the sexuality of males, Yes.

Bit then in that respect, it's no choice at all.

Should people with such feelings/tendencies be forced to "tow the line" of being hetero?

I favour women, large/voluptous ones at that. It's not a choice though for me between being straight or gay.

I have no homosexual tendencies, therfore there is no "choice". For me to become homosexual would require a degree of forced feelings/actions, which removesd the element of choice.

but if your family has a histroy of cancer , heart attack etc , then you are at a higher risk of having these problems ..so if there is a gay genetic surely there must be a chance that gene is lurking somewhere in you and other fmaily members ......

Exactly. Higher risk. And PP has just said that 2 of his brothers are, which is 67%.

I think this has been covered in the "my sisters a minger, I'm not post".

no offence but if push comes to shove I think i'd rather sleep with your sister than you , though as it isn't genetic and down to choice , I , of course do have the rigt to change my mind on this , a few drinks , a nice meal and who knows what can happen :-)

I favour large/voluptous women

Yeah so even within a sexuality there are variations of what you like. You are a 'feeder' and I like them kinda thin.

:lol: Just kiddin' Jon :thumb:

I think this has been covered in the "my sisters a minger, I'm not post".

no offence but if push comes to shove I think i'd rather sleep with your sister than you , though as it isn't genetic and down to choice , I , of course do have the rigt to change my mind on this , a few drinks , a nice meal and who knows what can happen :-)

Your on, and you never know, a nice enough bottle of wine and I might put out! It worked for B23!! :winkold:

Â