Your sexual orientation - Choice or no choice ?

BOF

Your sexual orientation  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Your sexual orientation

• Your choice
    • No choice

I favour large/voluptous women

Yeah so even within a sexuality there are variations of what you like. You are a 'feeder' and I like them kinda thin.

:lol: Just kiddin' Jon :thumb:

:D

not a feeder, more of a chubby chaser Bri :winkold:

there are variations on what i like (as with most blokes). But i haven't learnt this preference, i haven't been taught it. It's grown on me (again, pardon the pun). I've just realised it over time .....

yes, it's a choice that i'd go for this type of girl. But then again, isn't that becuase that's who i find sexually attractive, and isn't that innate?

I haven't learnt to favour that type of girl.

Its not the person's choice at all, if it was how come some gay people struggle with it and don't want to be gay want to fancy the opposite sex etc etc but they just cannot.

If they were telling themselves that, why just stop doing it. :?

True,but the other side of the argument like certain religious groups think you can be "cured" from homosexuality. Its a puzzle I tell ya!!

That side tend to be the deluded side. I would'nt bother listening to them.

Can i just throw in the question.

If it's a choice, on what basis is this choice made. Do your parenst teach you your sexual orientation? School? Media? Books?

and if it is as simple as choice, why would people choose to be homosexual? :?

I mean, you can't have kids (reproduce) for one. The choice of partner is much more limited too. And it's less socially acceptable. So you're having to go against a lot of disadvantages to "choose" that particular sexual orientation .....

makes no sense, IMO.

If choosing to be gay is a choice then choosing to be straight MUST be also. In that way, we are born without sexual inclination and generally go with the norm.

FWIW, I think that is rubbish and that we are born the way we are. Some factors in our upbringing may assist in a person "coming out" or "staying in" but fundamentally we are attracted to who we are due to factors beyond our control.

The probability of a man being gay rises the more older brothers he has, a finding that adds weight to the idea sexual orientation could be influenced in the womb.

In 1997, a study led by Ray Blanchard of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, concluded that having older brothers increases the likelihood of homosexuality in younger brothers.

To find out if psychological factors in the family were behind the effect, Anthony Bogaert of Brock University in St. Catharines compared men with older brothers born to the same mother to those whose older brothers were adopted or stepbrothers.

If nurture was responsible for the birth order effect then both groups would be expected to show similar rates of homosexuality.

Instead, Bogaert's study of 944 men found only biological older brothers showed an effect on sexual orientation, whether or not they were raised together.

click me

I think it is down to Social conditioning/nurture.

For example the few gay people that I know were brought up with a single parent (the female.), I think it is something to do with the lack of male influence on their lives, the same goes for the people I know who are a bit **** up on drugs.

I think it is down to Social conditioning/nurture.

For example the few gay people that I know were brought up with a single parent (the female.), I think it is something to do with the lack of male influence on their lives, the same goes for the people I know who are a bit **** up on drugs.

Well I am heterosexual as are several other people I know that were raised in single parent families.

It is dangerous to try to extrapolate your experiences (people in general that is) when they are so limited in volume, as an explanation for something so sensitive!

I think the answer is both to be honest, don't think its a simple either or. But the larger percentage probably is nature rather than nurture

That's the way I see it.

There are various things that are a combination of both nature and nurture. The ability to learn language being the most obvious. Certain factors have to be present on both sides in order for it to develop.

I remember reading an article on the BBC website recently (within the last few months) that suggested that scientists had found a link between homosexuality and the amount of elder male siblings. Apparently, the female body sees the a male foetus as a something of a "foreign object" and subsequently builds up some sort of resistance to it which enhances feminine characteristics (very vague, apologies). This builds up with each subsequent male child, apparently increasing the likelihood of producing homosexual male.

Personally, I don't think that a person has any choice over their true sexual orientation, although I believe that external forces can be a very strong influence.

Sorry, but I don't believe it's down to genes.

"Homosexual genes" would not reproduce in the same way "heterosexual genes" would. So if it's genetic it would be very rare, like albinos or something.

To suggest your sexual orientation is genetic would then also suggest that people who for some reason like diapers, spanking or whatever is also genetic.

So I go for the theory of it being down to something psychological. But I don't think the people who are gay made a consious choice to be just that. They are just not aware of making the decisions, but I don't think it has anything to do with genes.

As far as I know I have never made a consious decision to be straight, I just am. I am attracted to something in womens personality, like I suppose homosexuals are attracted to something in mens personality. I think people are confusing this with physical attraction. The natural instinct for a man would be to look for a capable mother of his child, and nature has provided capable mothers with certain physical features so we would know what to look for. A homosexual would looks for something else which are found in people of the same sex. But I don't think they are looking for someone of their own sex. A gay man is not looking for a man, he is looking for something else, which happens to be a man. If you know what I mean. And when that gay person learns he can have what he wants from another man he is attracted to men.

So my answer is no choice, but not for genetic reasons.

how can it be genetic, if any of your ancestors were gay you wouldn't exist

That's been answered. Two blondes can give birth to a brunette. Genetics isn't as simple as 'what went before shall be from now on'.

ok, but what if blondes were far more likely to reproduce than brunettes; eventually brunettes would die out, and yet there is a steady increase in homosexuality.

I read somewhere that homosexuality was unknown amongst the people of polynesia before explorers landed there. Now it does exist. This would tend to indicate that lifestyle does play a part. Perhaps this is one of those things that cannot be pigeonholed into a single cause.

A few of the gay people who I know had some sort of sexual trauma when they were kids, ie: abuse by an older male.

I think this could have something to do with why they turned out gay. If your first sexual experience is when you are very young with someone of the same sex it must have a huge psychological impact.

However, I also believe that most gay people are just born that way. So it can be either nature or nurture IMHO.

our genetics might come from the same parents, but they are obviously different in certain respects...

but if your family has a histroy of cancer , heart attack etc , then you are at a higher risk of having these problems ..so if there is a gay genetic surely there must be a chance that gene is lurking somewhere in you and other fmaily members ...... unless of course there is no such gene , which I guess depends whcih side of the debate your on

my family has a history of blindness...

and muscle issues...

some of my family have been affected by that, some havent...

Â