VillaGoMarching

This team can really do something if they are able to link up to each other, but it`s not always that easy to make it work. Still, I doubt we have qpr situation going on, I definitely see they finish in top 4. Team has bags of potential, it`s just up to avb to unleash it. 

Ramires isn't a central midfielder and Lampard is 35 years old. And Mata hasn't played in that position ever. Literally, ever. 

As for Carrick over Dembele, that's frankly absurd. 

Well I said their midfield as a whole, I dont think they are title challengers lets put it that way. 4th and finishing ahead of Arsenal is the best they will get IMO and they have spent a lot money to do that.

Carrick over Dembele all day long. Carrick is very underrated.

I guess we will have to wait and see, but 'on paper' they look formidable, at least in midfield.

'Formidable'!? Christ that's hilarious.

Like I said, we will have to see how they perform. I don't think 'formidable' is over the top, or how it is laughable really. They are a bit of a wildcard this season.

I'd love to know what AVB thinks their best starting 11 is and the formation. 

I think we played the card we were dealt as well as any of us could have hoped for. Once the management team decided Bale was going to go it was just a question of how we spent that money. There's a huge difference between a team on paper and the real thing, but would prefer to have a good team on paper with caveats applied, than a poorer team on paper with the same caveats. As for our best 11 I'd guess something like this (caveat: any three from four in the midfield):

Lloris

Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Rose

Sandro Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Chadli

Soldado

Friedel

Naughton Dawson Chiriches Fryers

Capoue Dembele

Townsend Holtby Lennon

Defoe

Which means we can pretty much play Thursday-Sunday with minimum impact and still be competitive. If we get Coentrao so much the better,

Edited by TartarugaJones

They won't do anything, at most they will qualify for the champions league, which is hardly a great achievement for a such an apparently 'great' team.

Fair enough, they have not gone off to a great start in the league, even if they have two wins. Still, it`s pretty hard to transform your team and take first place after you lost player of the year. He was great for them, he saved them so many points but they have brought in a lot of highly rated players this window, it is certainly looking good on paper but I am not gonna force it down your throat. You are entitled to your view and it`s interesting to see people who don`t buy into the hype regardless. May I ask why you think it will fail with all these new acquisitions? Not having a go, just curious as to why you feel that way. 

Getting in the Champions League after a while out of it would be great for Spurs fans in my opinion and I doubt many of them are targetting higher than that. 

That said, considering the top 3 all have new managers there is an outside chance of them maybe getting 2nd and mounting a small title challenge, they could finish in the top 2 or 3 in my opinion, it would be very difficult im not doubting that. I think 4th is much more likely.

But up until the 6th of April, Spurs were only 5 points behind City last season, not entirely sure they have added 5 points worth of quality to their team if you remove Bale but their squad is in much better condition, think it will make for an interesting season for sure

Edited by HalfTimePost

I have to say, I was hoping they'd really squander the Bale/TV Money, but it doesn't look like they have. I highly doubt if they still had 'Arry or some other manager they would have had anywhere near as good a transfer window as they have done. AVB is a very talented manager and has made some outstanding signings from Europe that I doubt another British manager would have made (Lambert if he had that sort of money maybe?). Without AVB I don't think Spurs would be anywhere near the standard they currently are, I reckon they'd be in a position to get top 4 if Arsenal and Liverpool slip up, rather than most likely being ahead of those teams for 4th and a chance of breaking the top 3. I thought AVB was very unfairly treated at Chelsea by both Chelsea and the media, but is now showing that he is a very astute and clever manager, unfortunately.

Spurs have spent their transfer money wisely, however, surely their wage bill will now be in bone fide top 4 territory now.

We were getting closer to Liverpool and Arsenal's wage budgets before this summer's activities. 

But I'm not sure that it's grown much after the recent transfer dealings, as we've let some of our best paid players go as well

Wouldn't surprise me if the new guys are rather evenly paid with what the old ones used to be.

Bale = Lamela - 80k

Parker = Soldado - 70k

Gallas = Paulinho - 60k/70k

Dempsey = Eriksen - 60k

Bentley = Capoue - 50k

Huddlestone = Chadli - 40k

Caulker + Bostock = Chiriches - 25k

Edited by rosenthal

Don't feel we got too many players, teams do need double up in every position to get through a long season. Especially when there's UEFA football to handle as well.

With the signing of Eriksen, perhaps we've got one attacking midifelder too many, Sigurdsson should perhaps be sold the way I see the team.
But then again, Sigurdsson is only one of 8 home grown players as you can see of the underlined players.

Might be even more transfers to come, though they are more likely to be depending on sales than what our previous ones were.

Gomes, Assou-Ekotto and Adebayor are all players AVB is trying to get rid off, plus it can be speculated whether Sigurdsson will have a place still.

If AVB were to get it completely like he want it, then he'd probably get Coentrao to replace Assou-Ekotto and Hulk to come in with Adebayor leaving.

Townsend and Lamela can play both sides, unsure just what role AVB intend to use Lamela in. At Roma he used to play right a lot and cut in.

Lamela and Eriksen are young enough to be considered as U21 players for the Premier League.
Both of them and Zeki Fryers need to be registered as seniors for the UEFA Europa League due to rule that to be considered U21 in their tournaments players must have been with club for at least two years.

GK: 25 LLORIS, 24 FRIEDEL, 1 GOMES?

RB: 2 WALKER, 16 NAUGHTON

CB: 4 KABOUL, 20 DAWSON

CB: 5 VERTONGHEN, (6) CHIRICHES

LB: 3 ROSE, 32 ASSOU-EKOTTO? + 35 Fryers

DM: 30 SANDRO, 15 CAPOUE

CM: 8 PAULINHO, 19 DEMBELE + 28 Carroll

AM: 14 HOLTBY, (23) ERIKSEN, 22 SIGURDSSON?

RW: 17 TOWNSEND, 7 LENNON

ST: 9 SOLDADO, 18 DEFOE, 10 ADEBAYOR? + 37 Kane

LW: (11) LAMELA, 21 CHADLI

They won't do anything, at most they will qualify for the champions league, which is hardly a great achievement for a such an apparently 'great' team.

Fair enough, they have not gone off to a great start in the league, even if they have two wins. Still, it`s pretty hard to transform your team and take first place after you lost player of the year. He was great for them, he saved them so many points but they have brought in a lot of highly rated players this window, it is certainly looking good on paper but I am not gonna force it down your throat. You are entitled to your view and it`s interesting to see people who don`t buy into the hype regardless. May I ask why you think it will fail with all these new acquisitions? Not having a go, just curious as to why you feel that way. 

I'm not sure where you got that idea from? Did you watch the two games? I ask because there's been a dominant narrative that we were lacklustre, missing creativity and only won thanks two dubious penalties, and I'm sure if you picked up on that but didn't see the games you might believe it.

I only watched extended highlights of the first game so can't comment properly, but Selhurst Park on the first day of the season with a brand-new team is tough, there were bound to be cobwebs, but from what I could see we were very comfortable, got behind their defence a number of times creating several good chances and that pressure resulted in a penalty. We weren't totally fluent, but nor were we disjointed. We didn't give them a sniff.

Against Swansea it was a very different story, up until the goal we bossed possession against the best possession football team of the last two or three seasons, in the course of the match we had a chance deflected of the line, two one on ones, two pens (one wrongly called as being outside the box), and restricted them to a solitary speculative volley, and a snatched chance from the edge of the box. It was a classy, dominant display, showing signs of a team beginning to gel.

Four games this season, four wins, 10 goals scored, none conceded. Lots of room to improve, but by no means shabby as it is.

Yes I did watch it and it felt lackluster. That you rule possession over the likes as palace should be there bare minimum at this point. I saw a little off the swansea match, felt the same. It`s early days anyway, and you have brought in several late. I gave your team cred, I am not gonna suck your cock as well. Take it or leave it.

Edited by vandaq

Â