VillaGoMarching

He will end up at Madrid at some point so i think its a ' win win ' for Spurs. They either get crazy money or get to keep an exceptional player for a year.

If he doesn't repeat last seasons stats, at least, Madrid will go for the next new shiny player out there.

The thing about last season was that he scored so many ridiculously good goals,which were also winners and were also almost in the last minute the hype just went crazy.

Unless he just gets better and better I don't think Madrid will ever pay as much again.

He will end up at Madrid at some point so i think its a ' win win ' for Spurs. They either get crazy money or get to keep an exceptional player for a year.

If he doesn't repeat last seasons stats, at least, Madrid will go for the next new shiny player out there.

The thing about last season was that he scored so many ridiculously good goals,which were also winners and were also almost in the last minute the hype just went crazy.

Unless he just gets better and better I don't think Madrid will ever pay as much again.

I agree. Almost the best thing for us next season would be for him to have good but not spectacular year, we win the league anyway and we keep hold of him!!! :)

I was told he played in a behind close doors friendly against Enfield, with Bale.

That was a self-confessed WUM on Twitter making stuff up, but got picked up by the Metro and then by blogs etc (he is training with us to keep fit so there's the seed which makes it semi-believable, but he is paying a fee for the privilege arranged by his agent)...

There's another example of that happening this summer with a fellow on Spurs Community pissed off with all the media hype around Bale, and also that a lot of other stories based on so-called inside information being lifted from SC without being attributed, getting together with a few fellow posters to start a rumour about Suarez to Spurs. They included a few made-up specifics just so they could be sure, and lo and behold the next day there was the story in the nationals. Private Eye got on it, and realised the spoof and printed a story on the whole affair in their current edition if you want to have a peruse.

The power of the internet eh...

Edited by TartarugaJones

I was told he played in a behind close doors friendly against Enfield, with Bale.

That was a self-confessed WUM on Twitter making stuff up, but got picked up by the Metro and then by blogs etc (he is training with us to keep fit so there's the seed which makes it semi-believable, but he is paying a fee for the privilege arranged by his agent)...

There's another example of that happening this summer with a fellow on Spurs Community pissed off with all the media hype around Bale, and also that a lot of other stories based on so-called inside information being lifted from SC without being attributed, getting together with a few fellow posters to start a rumour about Suarez to Spurs. They included a few made-up specifics just so they could be sure, and lo and behold the next day there was the story in the nationals. Private Eye got on it, and realised the spoof and printed a story on the whole affair in their current edition if you want to have a peruse.

The power of the internet eh...

It wasn't, I was told by someone who knows someone who plays for Enfield.

I think Capoue is a great signing by them, dare I say it, Spurs have a good enough team to contend for the title, if they completely write off Europa League, they'd have the advantage of no Champions League distractions.

I think Capoue is a great signing by them, dare I say it, Spurs have a good enough team to contend for the title, if they completely write off Europa League, they'd have the advantage of no Champions League distractions.

They don't have near enough depth in defence or attack for that. Not yet anyway.

They still need a few defenders and one or two more creative types who can supply Soldado.

They are not a million miles away though if, a big if no doubt, Kaboul stays fit & they get a similar season from Vertonghen with Lloris behind and Walker Rose either side that's a good back line, with Naughton, Dawson, Ekotto as cover, in terms of midfield in the centre they've an abundance of talent, and have since added Chandli on the wing, 3 strikers will do if they are only playing one up front, but I don't know how likely it is Adebayor & Defoe will stay.

They don't have near enough depth in defence or attack for that. Not yet anyway.

Man Utd V Spurs

Defence

Vidic (CB) Evans (CB) Ferdinand (CB) Smalling (CB, RB) Jones (CB, DM) Evra (LB) Rafael (RB) Buttner (LB)

Dawson (CB) Vertonghen (CB, LB) Kaboul (CB, RB) Walker (RB) Naughton (RB, LB) BAE (LB) Rose (LB)

Midfield

Carrick (CM, DM, CB), Anderson (DM, CM), Cleverly (CM), Kagawa (AM), Giggs (AM, LF)

Paulinho (CM, DM), Sandro (DM, CM), Capoue (DM, CM, CB), Dembele (CM, AM), Gylfi (AM, LF), Holtby (AM, CM), Carroll (CM, AM)

Forwards

Rooney (ST, AM), RVP (ST), Welbeck (LF, ST), Young (LF), Valencia (RF, RB), Nani (AM, LF), Hernandez (ST),

Bale (AM, LF, RF), Soldado (ST), Lennon (RF, LF), Chadli (LF, AM, RF), Townsend (RF, LF), Defoe (ST), Adebayor (ST)

Coaches

Moyes

AVB

I think you can argue about quality and depth, but personally I think it's pretty close depth-wise. There are question marks over both defences in terms of ages and injury problems. In their prime Utd's defence clearly beats ours, and they also have good versatile alternative CBs to come in if needs be, whereas we've only really got the unproven Capoue who can cover.

Midfield-wise I think we have more depth a more options.

Up front a fit and in form Rooney with RVP is a frightening thought, but I have my doubts over Rooney. Without him they start to look a bit flimsy. Meanwhile Soldado is unproven in this league, but comes with a good pedigree, and Bale is our ace in the pack. Based on past records Utd's top two win, but not by much and as I say there are question marks over form and fitness. After those two in terms of depth I think it's pretty equal.

Obviously all is on paper, and no one will be surprised if Utd romp away, whereas everyone would be surprised if we challenged, and that's probably the true measure of the quality gap, however I don't think it's totally true that we lack depth where the top clubs don't. Perhaps yes when it comes to comparisons with City or Chelsea, but not in comparison to Utd.

Edited by TartarugaJones

Â