Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

On the iPod thing. What annoys me is when I do put it on shuffle and realise I hate 90% of what's on there. I put albums on it where I might like one or two of the songs. How do you guys make sure it plays what you like? Are you really that selective that you only put tracks you like on it and not full albums, or are you heavily into playlists (which are a chore to set up initially). As someone who is 'meh' towards music in general I'd be interested in how you guys get the most from your iPod!

I very regularly make playlists.

Most of the time it's new music that I like. But obviously in a couple of months I'm bored of half of that so a new list gets made. Some of the old stuff makes it on, a lot doesn't. And it carries on.

Then I have a couple of playlists that are always there of old stuff or a specific genre (90s hip hop ftw)

So I either shuffle an individual list or shuffle all playlists.

I never shuffle my entire mp3 player. There's too much stuff on there that I don't actually like that much or I need to be in the right mood for.

out of curiosity, what are the advantages of an ipod over a standard generic MP3 player?

Genuine question. My nippers have Zen MP3's and they appear to do everything and do it perfectly reasonably, the eldest now wants to spend about £150 'upgrading' to an ipod. For the life of me, other than the name I'm failing to see what they do for the extra £100. 

I can heartily recommend the iPod touch. I've got an old, compact, old tech mobile telephone and the iPod touch fills in all the gaps between that and an iPhone. Plus the phone is small and portable and the battery lasts more than 6 hours.

There are a lot of very handy Apple apps, which having a plain MP3 player doesn't cover. For instance I considered spending $120 on a programmable calculator, and ended up spending $2 on an app for the iPod instead, which actually works better.

If you were to put a mic on the iPod (assuming it doesn't have one), with apps like Viber etc available, what's to stop it being a fully functional internet 'phone' minus the network charges & SIM?

If you were to put a mic on the iPod (assuming it doesn't have one), with apps like Viber etc available, what's to stop it being a fully functional internet 'phone' minus the network charges & SIM?

There is a mic on the iPod touch (and two cameras and speakers). I use it for Skype. Obviously you need to be in WiFi range, but it works well, especially with earphones.

Exactly. It's not like the days when there were only two channels. Watch something else. Or a DVD. Or turn it off.

Tsk. Youth of today. 

Exactly. It's not like the days when there were only two channels. Watch something else. Or a DVD. Or turn it off.

Tsk. Youth of today. 

Here's a selection of what was on BBC yesterday around this time:

Bargain Hunt

Homes Under the Hammer

Perfection (some quiz show)

Escape to the Country

Songs of Praise

Flog It!

Countryfile

What I'm getting at is why complain about the tennis when the alternative is the above. It's not replacing anything important.

The BBC is a complete and utter joke, has anyone ever seen their Saturday afternoon football results programme?

Had to watch it on the penultimate weekend of the season just gone as had no access to Sky Sports, it was cringey from start to finish.

Exactly. It's not like the days when there were only two channels.

Ever been to Malaysia? :P

Really? I'd have thought they'd have hundreds?

Tsk. Youth of today. 

Here's a selection of what was on BBC yesterday around this time:

Bargain Hunt

Homes Under the Hammer

Perfection (some quiz show)

Escape to the Country

Songs of Praise

Flog It!

Countryfile

What I'm getting at is why complain about the tennis when the alternative is the above. It's not replacing anything important.

I quite like Escape to the Country and Countryfile. :blush:

I actually watched a bit of one of those programmes!

It must have been either homes under the hammer or escape to the country.

Basically there was a properly awful mid terrace house they kept on refering to as a quirky cottage. No, it's a really poor mid terrace house.

Some guy bought it for about £70k as he fancied himself as a property developer. The interview guy asked him several searching questions:

Q1: what do you think needs doing to the property?

A1: don't know really, I'll have a look around and decide.

Q2: How much do you think its going to cost to do up to be re saleable or rentable?

A2: don't know really, a fair bit by the look of it.

Q3: have you got a resale price in mind?

A3: no, not really.

I then left the room to put my head in a vice. When I came back the guy had basically rebuilt it, total cost of £117,000 and was hoping to rent it out for £500 a month.

Â