Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

We've got a lad at work who's forever phoning in sick and the clearing in the woods has called in today to say that the snow has stopped him getting in to work. He lives about two minutes away from me, and the roads are fine. He's going to get a shock in January, when I only pay him for three weeks, as I've checked his contract and found that he's way over the days off that we'll pay for. Ha.

We've got a lad at work who's forever phoning in sick and the clearing in the woods has called in today to say that the snow has stopped him getting in to work. He lives about two minutes away from me, and the roads are fine. He's going to get a shock in January, when I only pay him for three weeks, as I've checked his contract and found that he's way over the days off that we'll pay for. Ha.

Do you not have to pay him for all the times he's phoned in "sick" Mart?

Is the employment law different on the IOM?

Indeed Stevo. I am in a University building that is like the Marie bloody Celeste. Car park virtually empty.

I have a rotten hangover and wish I could take a "snow day". There's just not enough of the stuff to justify it (and everyone is in the office) :(

Do you not have to pay him for all the times he's phoned in "sick" Mart?

Is the employment law different on the IOM?

I don't think it's any different. He gets 5 days pay at full rate per his contract, after that it's SSP.

Indeed Stevo. I am in a University building that is like the Marie bloody Celeste. Car park virtually empty.

I have a rotten hangover and wish I could take a "snow day". There's just not enough of the stuff to justify it (and everyone is in the office) :(

In my case, I don't think it's anything to do with the weather - there is snow and ice on the ground, and it's minus 8 or so, but the roads are clear.

It's just that there is **** all happening anyway, so most people use up a few days of their annual leave either side of Xmas, to get it to a "round fortnight". Indeed, I have always done this myself in the past, but some **** manager has deemed that we MUST have IT support (for all the people who are not using the system), so I've been told I have to be here. :angry:

OIne of my colleagues got stuck in Manchester over the weekend, but he's driven down from manchester to get to work today. Took him nearly 4 hours but he's managed it.

Yet the bird who lives in Leamington, about 15 minutes away on pretty clear roads, can't possibly get into work (even though she drives a freelander!!)

Sounds like any bugger will take any excuse not to get into work today. I was in Swansea at 8pm last night but still managed to make it into the office in London at 9 this morning - only to find that nobody else has bothered.

It just annoys me how many people just see the snow and automatically have a day off because of it. Fair enough, some people genuinely can't get to work. But I bet if half the people who don't come in actually tried to get here, then they could.

It just annoys me how many people just see the snow and automatically have a day off because of it. Fair enough, some people genuinely can't get to work. But I bet if half the people who don't come in actually tried to get here, then they could.

Exactly. Their selfish behaviour also makes it harder at work for those who do turn up.

I drove for about 20 miles on my way in with a crap all over my windscreen. My washer bottle was frozen solid despite having neat fluid in it. I have another brand new bottle of screenwash in the boot which had turned to slush puppy.

Fully agree with all the work dodger haters.

I managed to Drive from Chepstow - Bristol - Tewkesbury and back last night, yet somehow people are unable to drive 20 miles to work this morning, leaving me on my own in the office with the boss.

I planned to get to work today. In fact I went to catch the bus Stagecoach said was running. I then waited 45 minutes in the freezing cold and then shuffled half a mile back to my house. I then tried to start my car (it did) but my road is a deathtrap and the roundabout onto the bypass is a like a **** bob skeleton run. I slid my car a lot before deciding it wasn't worth the risk.

It may sound pathetic, but I didn't want to put anyone else at risk due to my driving inexperience and in particular total inexperience in the ice.. So I'm working from home and I've promised to work extra when I'm next in properly to make up.

I know it sounds like I'm skiving, but trust me, I'm not.

I spilled an egg into my oven. Broke it with a fork that had some bean ketchup on it. The ketchup went into the pan which started spitting at me so I dropped the egg into the open oven and went to bed. Trying to clean it today is not fun.

I planned to get to work today. In fact I went to catch the bus Stagecoach said was running. I then waited 45 minutes in the freezing cold and then shuffled half a mile back to my house. I then tried to start my car (it did) but my road is a deathtrap and the roundabout onto the bypass is a like a **** bob skeleton run. I slid my car a lot before deciding it wasn't worth the risk.

It may sound pathetic, but I didn't want to put anyone else at risk due to my driving inexperience and in particular total inexperience in the ice.. So I'm working from home and I've promised to work extra when I'm next in properly to make up.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much. :winkold:

My screen washers have packed up completely.

Probably workshy Englishman you're using Mike. Get yourself some Polish screen waskers. They don't know the meaning of day off or snow-day!

:mrgreen:

No problem with that at all.

But there's people who will have looked out the window and gone back to bed. Another girl in my offic lives about 10 minutes away from me. Said she got to the motorway but it was so icy that she turned back and came home. I know that's bollocks because I get on at the same junction as her and the motorway, apart from the outside lane, is probably the un-iciest road out there at the moment.

Hah, I'm just trying to portray my situation without appearing a skiver. Put it this way, during my employment, I have only ever been off sick once (for 10 days with scarlet fever) and I have made it in through the snow about 10 times.... I rarely miss work, but last year the buses did a sterling job, and I got in. I've been driving all of two months, and I haven't got the funds to replace/repair my car if I wrote it off, so I'm not risking it.

(Plus my wheelchair doesn't go too well in the ice ;) )

I would like to point out to those not in on the latest "how do we mentally crack theunderstudy" joke, I'm not actually disabled and/or in a wheelchair.

Â