Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Probably said this a million times before, but an American friend of mine that refers to his teams as singular. Like "I hope Villa wins" Win, you hope Villa win!

There's only one Villa, correct?

Make yourself at home, Legov

OK, legov, which one's you? Whichever one it is, the other three are cute. :lol:

Btw, Mike, this is relatively minor and rest assured I'm not angry at you or irritated in the slightest - but I would appreciate it if you could address me by my real name in the future! Makes me feel part and parcel of the VT community :)
Protocol, innit? I've never seen you acknowledge your real name except in PMs, therefore I have to assume it's not for general use. I know quite a few VTers real names which I would use in PMs but not in the open forum - unless they give the OK.

Now you have, so... hey everybody, legov's real is Humphrey! (OK, OK, it's Ivan). :lol

Steve, please call me by my real name :) thanks.

No ill feelings, just something minor that I would really appreciate.

I like how you keep asking people to call you by your real name but dont actually say what it is.

It's in the quote.

Nevermind....it's Ivan.

Make yourself at home, Legov

OK, legov, which one's you? Whichever one it is, the other three are cute. :lol:

Btw, Mike, this is relatively minor and rest assured I'm not angry at you or irritated in the slightest - but I would appreciate it if you could address me by my real name in the future! Makes me feel part and parcel of the VT community :)
Protocol, innit? I've never seen you acknowledge your real name except in PMs, therefore I have to assume it's not for general use. I know quite a few VTers real names which I would use in PMs but not in the open forum - unless they give the OK.

Now you have, so... hey everybody, legov's real is Humphrey! (OK, OK, it's Ivan). :lol

Steve, please call me by my real name :) thanks.

No ill feelings, just something minor that I would really appreciate.

I like how you keep asking people to call you by your real name but dont actually say what it is.

It's in the quote.

Nevermind....it's Ivan.

That's a terrible name :mrgreen: :winkold:

These WeightWatchers adverts where some woman will randomly appear dancing and very badly miming along to some song.

Also, when they use that annoying "Here come the girls" song for every female targeted advert.

Probably said this a million times before, but an American friend of mine that refers to his teams as singular. Like "I hope Villa wins" Win, you hope Villa win!

Another one where I come down on the side of British, not UK usage.

We've done this one before and I quoted a few examples.

Band names - (UK) "Queen are..."" (US) Queen is..."

In this instance, I'd say that "Queen" may be a singular word, but it stands for a group of four people, hence it's effectively plural.

After all, everyone would say "The Beatles are...", not "The Beatles is...". The final "s" is irrelevant, the main thing is that more than one person is being referred to.

Same with a football club. "Aston Villa" isn't a singular "thing" (in the sense that, say, "Villa Park" is). It's a whole load of people - the players, the staff, and even the fans. So'd I'd always say "Aston Villa are great", not "Aston Villa is great", which just sounds wrong.

An exception might be if you were using a very specific context, such as "'Aston Villa' is a good name for a club" - where you are talking about a singular thing - the name - rather than the collective that is the club itself.

People that still use pay-as-you-go phones and constantly run out of credit. It's 2012 not 1995! words removed...
What's your beef? PAYG or running out of credit?

I have no wish to be tied into a contract. For one thing I don't use the phone enough to make it worthwhile.

In this instance, I'd say that "Queen" may be a singular word, but it stands for a group of four people, hence it's effectively plural.

After all, everyone would say "The Beatles are...", not "The Beatles is...". The final "s" is irrelevant, the main thing is that more than one person is being referred to.

Same with a football club. "Aston Villa" isn't a singular "thing" (in the sense that, say, "Villa Park" is). It's a whole load of people - the players, the staff, and even the fans. So'd I'd always say "Aston Villa are great", not "Aston Villa is great", which just sounds wrong.

An exception might be if you were using a very specific context, such as "'Aston Villa' is a good name for a club" - where you are talking about a singular thing - the name - rather than the collective that is the club itself.

They do this in Australia and elsewhere too a lot of the time. It is appalling. Even worse than calling it soccer.

People that still use pay-as-you-go phones and constantly run out of credit. It's 2012 not 1995! words removed...

I have no wish to be tied into a contract. For one thing I don't use the phone enough to make it worthwhile.

The whole running out of credit and not topping up thing. Then calling me for one ring and hanging up, thus making me call back.

The whole running out of credit and not topping up thing. Then calling me for one ring and hanging up, thus making me call back.

My daughters do that. I don't mind. They're both on low incomes, and I can afford the calls more than they can.

Might be different it it was a mate, though.

They do this in Australia and elsewhere too a lot of the time. It is appalling. Even worse than calling it soccer.

Arrrghh! yes this drives me up the wall. When I read the match reports on the Today's Zaman web site they write in the really odd American style. It drives me mad.

People who insist on being called by their real name on an internet forum.

Quite a few people know my name on here. A few of them use it, one even uses my nickname. Some choose not to, one even calls me Doug just for the hell of it. I've been using these forums for twelve years, there's a couple of people I've "known" for that whole time that still don't even know my real name.

Who gives a ****? It's the internet. Rules do not apply. Though if I meet you in the real world and you call me "dont_do_it_doug." then maybe we have beef.

People who insist on being called by their real name on an internet forum.

Quite a few people know my name on here. A few of them use it, one even uses my nickname. Some choose not to, one even calls me Doug just for the hell of it. I've been using these forums for twelve years, there's a couple of people I've "known" for that whole time that still don't even know my real name.

Who gives a ****? It's the internet. Rules do not apply. Though if I meet you in the real world and you call me "dont_do_it_doug." then maybe we have beef.

Directed at me?

Ah okay.

Sorry if I came across as whiny earlier in the thread anyway. I wouldn't call what I did insistence though, I prefer people on here calling me by my real name but I have no qualms about people choosing not to do so.

Oh, 'nother one, people who use hashtags in forum posts.

#hopeslegovdoesntdothistoo

I've noticed some people using it on Facebook, without being linked to anything Twitter related. Strange to say the least...

Ah okay.

Sorry if I came across as whiny earlier in the thread anyway. I wouldn't call what I did insistence though, I prefer people on here calling me by my real name but I have no qualms about people choosing not to do so.

No worries!

As already pointed out though, I literally thought your name was Legov. Why didn't you choose Ivan as a username? That's my gripe.

As for the second one, I've seen it a fair bit lately. It's up there in moronic-ness with people saying "confused dot com" in real life.

Â