Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I think there could be an entirely new central defensive partnership next year

I dunno. I'm not sure O'Neill will be intereted in making wholesale changes. I think we might see 7/8 players out with 5/6 max coming back in. I doubt two of those will be central defenders, but you never know......

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno. I'm not sure O'Neill will be intereted in making wholesale changes. I think we might see 7/8 players out with 5/6 max coming back in. I doubt two of those will be central defenders, but you never know......

I agree with the thought that there will not be either a completely new partnership and also that there will not be wholesale change.

Can't see a huge overhaul of the squad to be honest. The basis is there for a good team. 3-4 quality additions with the 'dead wood' going would be fine.

See Joey Barton has had a pop again at the Man City boss and players, clearly not happy and would think a new challenge would be just the ticket for him. He's a bell end but a fine player. Would improve us no end and is the sort of player MON would relish working with.

we need a whole new defence, a new RB, i dont rate bardsley at all, hes a liability, we need to show delaney and laursen the door, yes, both solid players, but never fit, we will never get a ful season out of them, so at least 2 new CBs, and ship samuel out, and look for a new LB!

i still stick by luke young if charlton go down for RB

we need a whole new defence, a new RB, i dont rate bardsley at all, hes a liability, we need to show delaney and laursen the door, yes, both solid players, but never fit, we will never get a ful season out of them, so at least 2 new CBs, and ship samuel out, and look for a new LB!

i still stick by luke young if charlton go down for RB

I can't agree with Laursen. He has looked superb I think so deserves another crack - could save us a bomb if stays fit.....If not replace him next year, we have cover. It's a gamble worth taking I think.

Agreed, Bardsley is pants. If he was any good he would still be at Man U. he was and is just a stop gap till we bring in some proper quality in the summer IMO

with bardsley though, weve been linked with a £1.5m bid for him? he just isnt good enough, because as you say, he would still be at manure if he was

also, as for laursen, dont get me wrong, i think hes the best defender we have, when hes match fit, but thats the problem, he never is, he will always ben carrying an unjury and we will never get a string of games out of him, we might as well cut our losses, let him go and concentrate on younger, stronger defenders that will last us a few seasons!

also, as for laursen, dont get me wrong, i think hes the best defender we have, when hes match fit, but thats the problem, he never is, he will always ben carrying an unjury and we will never get a string of games out of him, we might as well cut our losses, let him go and concentrate on younger, stronger defenders that will last us a few seasons!

I understand your concerns, but after the surgery his knee has been fine. Steadman is the best in the world at what he does, and with good reason. I am very confident that, barring a huge disaster, Laursen's knee problems are behind him.

I remember another commanding centre-back with knee problems who should have been written off shortly after he arrived at Villa Park. If Laursen can be half the player he was (and I think he's already past that line), then he's worth keeping.

i disagree

i think we will bring in two defenders, but with one being a fullback

ridgewell will go

but i can't imagine him getting rid of any of the other centre backs

laursen will definatly not go, i really can't see mellberg going, and cahill has too bright a future to leave

if we bring two centre backs in then it will only puish cahill further and further until he may have to leave in order to progress to a top level defender.

angels gone and samuel, dj dj, hendrie, sutton, ridgewell, and bardsley are leaving

then you have davis, mccann, sorensen, hughes possibilities to leave

how many can you afford to let go?

If Laursen can stay fit, we won't be able to get anyone better. I don't see the point in trying to replace him as first choice.

Whilst I agree thats a big IF!

I see what you are saying but he has played a fair few games in the last 2 weeks and had no reaction. Its looking good for him.

This Bardsley thing makes me laugh. He's what, 20? If he was a Villa youngster he'd be backed to the hilt (like ridge, cooke, stefan, etc), but because he's not, he's crap. Some Villa fans make me laugh, they are so blind.

But he's not a Villa youngster.......... he's a Man Utd youngster and if we want to keep him we'd have to fork out a couple of million pounds. Unfortunately he's not worth it at the moment - I don't think the club should be spending money on, frankly, shit players in the hope they develop into decent 1st teamers.

"Villa youngsters" are players the club have invested time and money into developing which is why the fans have an obvious affinity.

apparently gravesen and strachan aren't getting on too well up in scotland

if we miss out on sidwell, i'd like us to go in for him

i know he's another celtic player, but he wouldn't cost that much and he's a definate step up to mccann

and would help bolster our centre midfield spots, whcih we need to do if davis and mccann leave, and he'd add that steel and energy in the middle of the park which we need

apparently gravesen and strachan aren't getting on too well up in scotland

if we miss out on sidwell, i'd like us to go in for him

i know he's another celtic player, but he wouldn't cost that much and he's a definate step up to mccann

and would help bolster our centre midfield spots, whcih we need to do if davis and mccann leave, and he'd add that steel and energy in the middle of the park which we need

no way! maybe a couple of seasons ago, but not anymore. Yes he's an improvement on Mccan, but only marginally, we need someone better..much better.

I agree Bardsley isn't up to much, but not on the basis that "if he's not good enough for Man United, he can't be good enough for us". They're the best side in the country and probably the best side in Europe, and Bardsley has a talismanic figure ahead of him in the shape of Gary Neville.

If we're going to use that logic, we can say that David Bentley and Steve Sidwell weren't good enough for Arsenal, so they're not good enough for us either.

I also can't believe people are talking about getting rid of Laursen. He comes back from his long term injury, does well, picks up a routine injury unrelated to his long term problems, then looks immaculate when he comes back, and people are complaining about him?

It strikes me that we have four top notch central defenders in Laursen, Mellberg, Cahill and Ridgewell. I can think of plenty more positions which need strengthening first.

If we're going to use that logic, we can say that David Bentley and Steve Sidwell weren't good enough for Arsenal, so they're not good enough for us either.

People keep saying that, John Gregory said it as well. Bottom line, the statement is wrong.

Reyes - Not good enough for Arsenal

Forlan - Not good enough for Man Utd

Lauren - Not good enough for Arsenal

Parker/Duff/Kezman/Huth/Del Horno/Johnson - Not good enough for Chelsea

That is the people on the top of my mind, I am sure there are many more who could have been good enough for Villa.

dodgy online translator:

After the Portsmouth now also the aston Villa seems to have aimed the eyes serious on Muntari. According to a newspaper ghanese, Martin OR neall, manager of the Villans, now should want to convince its managers to pay out more of 7 millions of pounds that made available him, that is not sufficient to gain the ghanese, for which Well wonders of it at least 12.