Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/Players/Player=59421/index.html

Another gifted youngster to roll off the AFC Ajax production line, Nigel de Jong is a slight but strong young defender or midfield player who looks set for a fine future.

Club

Born in November 1984, he broke into the Ajax first team in 2002/03 at the age of 17, playing ten games in the UEFA Champions League and 17 in the Eredivisie. De Jong's first goal for the club was a crucial one, earning Ajax a 1-1 Champions League draw at Highbury. Frequently employed as a substitute at the start of 2003/04, he then capitalised on the absence of Hatem Trabelsi through injury and international duty to stake a claim for the right-back position and made 23 starts as Ajax reclaimed the Eredivisie crown from PSV Eindhoven. In 2004/05 he became a regular choice as he switched to midfield, scoring five Eredivisie goals for the runners-up. The following season brought a move to Hamburger SV in the winter transfer window although the Bundesliga failed to see the best of De Jong in his first few months at the club.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the dutch have always produced very strong athletic footballers....

i think MON has seen how gritty and determined freddy has been in defence this season...

and wants a bit of that action in the midfield area where De Jong would play....

i think villa's squad needs a few more beefcakes to intimidate the opposition.....

or im talking codswallop and De Jong is only 3 foot tall and built like Crouch but MON just likes the way he plays :D

Nope cos it was on newsnow and I couldn't be arsed to write the link !

Lazy fecker, here you go ;)

Villa hungry for Hamburg star

By Tom Adams - Created on 9 Jun 2007

Hamburg midfielder Nigel de Jong has reportedly emerged as a summer transfer target for Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill.

Villa owner Randy Lerner has granted the Ulsterman substantial transfer funds to finance a summer spending spree, and O'Neill is now casting his gaze towards the Dutch international.

Hamburg are understood to be ready to off-load de Jong after a disappointing season in which they flirted with relegation before finishing a respectable seventh in the Bundesliga.

However, Hamburg sporting director Dietmar Beiersdorfer has played down speculation linking the 22-year-old with a move to England.

"We have heard rumours of interest from Villa but at the moment there is no news," said the Hamburg official.

De Jong joined Hamburg in a £700,000 deal from Ajax 18 months ago, and his former team-mate in the Dutch capital, Wesley Sneijder, has also been linked with a move to Villa.

However, Premiership rivals Tottenham are also understood to be keen on the talented playmaker.

Clicky

Villa keep tabs on De Jong - Report

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is reportedly tracking Hamburg's Holland international midfielder Nigel de Jong.

His club Hamburg are keen to offload De Jong - their highest wage earner at around £40,000 a week - after a disappointing season in the Bundesliga which saw them miss out on a Champions League spot.

The 22-year-old joined Hamburg from Ajax for £700,000 18 months ago.

Hamburg sporting director Dietmar Beiersdorfer said: "We have heard rumours of interest from Villa but at the moment there is no news."

O'Neill is looking to strengthen in the centre of the park after selling Gavin McCann to Bolton.

He is still hoping to bring in West Ham's Nigel Reo-Coker although may have to wait until the player has returned from the European Under-21 Championships.

And O'Neill maintains an interest in Ajax's Wesley Sneijder although they face strong competition from Tottenham.

Clicky

Just wondering where he will fit into the side? is he a possible back up signing to NRC?? or is he going to be a very useful squad additon now that GM has buggered off to the trotters?

Think we should for a 8mil double swoop for him and Vincent Kompany, seen him a few times and looks a really good player!

And if we lose out in the Sneijder race there is another Dutch international at Hamburg who I wouldn't mind seeing us get, Rafael van der Vaart! :D

De Jong and Sneijder would be two absolutely brilliant signings. Sneijder especially. I live in hope but until I see a press conference with Sneijder holding a Villa shirt and sitting next to MON I still have massive massive doubts.

Edit: AND van der Vaart

i don't think there is anything in this to be honest. Not one of the sources is reliable (including SSN). They do make up rumours as well like that Cesar bloke and De La Pena a while back. They're always doing it and 9 times out of 10 it's bollocks

Think we should for a 8mil double swoop for him and Vincent Kompany, seen him a few times and looks a really good player!

And if we lose out in the Sneijder race there is another Dutch international at Hamburg who I wouldn't mind seeing us get, Rafael van der Vaart! :D

I'm sure Old Fart would agree with you.

van der Vaart apparently has a €1.5m release fee NEXT summer as long as he isnt either sold or doesnt sign a new contract in the meantime

They might wanna make a little bit more this summer then!

They paid about £3.5mil for him so if we miss out on Sneijder at £11mil we should try for RvdV at about £4mil! :D

van der Vaart apparently has a €1.5m release fee NEXT summer as long as he isnt either sold or doesnt sign a new contract in the meantime

They paid about £3.5mil for him so if we miss out on Sneijder at £11mil we should try for RvdV at about £4mil! :D

How about 15 million for the both of them? Or 17 million. Considering we got Ash for 8 mil + extras, 17 for Sneijder and vdV would be a bargain. Both players are guns and will only get better. Both would add lots to our midfield, and both are quite versatile

How about 15 million for the both of them? Or 17 million. Considering we got Ash for 8 mil + extras, 17 for Sneijder and vdV would be a bargain. Both players are guns and will only get better. Both would add lots to our midfield, and both are quite versatile

If we signed one of them i would be ecstatic so don't suggest getting both of them, i think i would die if that happened!