THAT player we must sign

Pacavelli

I think we are building a team/squad....somewhere along the way that player will emerge IMO

I don't think the kind of player being mentioned will be signed in the fashion folk want.

Benteke emerged and this great midfield maestro will too.

I don't know whether he will come from what we have got already or whether we will sign him in the future as potential, but that's where I think he will come from.

I can't think of any question that can't be answered with Wesley Sneijder.

How about "Whose wages can we afford?"

(Apart from the obvious ones like "What well-known film director, born in 1899, was famous for tense dramas such as Psycho, The Birds and Rear Window?")  :)

We lack leadership. An older head that has been there and done it and can inspire and help along the young lads we have in bucket loads at the club. I'd bring back Gareth Barry in a heartbeat. He knows this club inside out, has captained us previously, has loads of International caps, played at major International tournaments and has Premier League and FA cup winners medals. He is now 32 but being a player that never relied on any pace he will be good for another 2 or 3 seasons yet at the top level.

I can see him being surplus to requirements at City and he would jump at the chance of coming back to us.

• Like 1

(Apart from the obvious ones like "What well-known film director, born in 1899, was famous for tense dramas such as Psycho, The Birds and Rear Window?")  :)

Currently on 60k / week apparently. Don't know about differences between UK and Turkey taxation but if we match his wages then surely the Premier League is a bigger draw than the Turkish league? Also with the strife currently happening in Turkey it probably isn't the greatest place to be. This would be his last opportunity to prove himself in (allegedly) the highest profile domestic league in the world. He'd be with a lot of top internationals. He'd be in a great place to live and spend money.

The biggest stumbling block would be Galatasaray. If we offered them the same money as they paid for him (£8m) I reckon we'd have a good chance of turning theirs and his head.

With the wages coming off the books and potentially a couple of sales, we can more than afford him. We can't afford not to get someone like that in my opinion, and even though I've been banging on about him for years, I think that right now he'd be the absolute perfect player to link everything together in the kind of team Lambert is trying to put together. As it is, we're challenging for top half. With Sneijder in, we're challenging for top 4.

I know I won't get many people agreeing with me. It's just how I see it.

Was the answer Guy Ritchie?

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 1

Currently on 60k / week apparently. Don't know about tax differences between UK and Turkey taxation but if we match his wages then surely the Premier League is a bigger draw than the Turkish league? Also with the strife currently happening in Turkey it probably isn't the greatest place to be. This would be his last opportunity to prove himself in (allegedly) the highest profile domestic league in the world. He'd be with a lot of top internationals. He'd be in a great place to live and spend money.

The biggest stumbling block would be Galatasaray. If we offered them the same money as they paid for him (£8m) I reckon we'd have a good chance of turning theirs and his head.

With the wages coming off the books and potentially a couple of sales, we can more than afford him. We can't afford not to get someone like that in my opinion, and even though I've been banging on about him for years, I think that right now he'd be the absolute perfect player to link everything together in the kind of team Lambert is trying to put together. As it is, we're challenging for top half. With Sneijder in, we're challenging for top 4.

I know I won't get many people agreeing with me. It's just how I see it.

Was the answer Guy Ritchie?

Yeah, we can probably afford Guy Ritchie's wages, he doesn't seem to be getting a lot of work.

Fair points that you raise, although we don't have CL football to offer, and with WS being 29, I think we should be looking for the new Sneijder.

I think he may have been joking.

No. You see: Darren B has no sense of humour :)

His reply seems serious to me, and it's not totally ridiculous. You're just worn down by the annual speculation over WS. It's perfectly understandable.

(Apart from the obvious ones like "What well-known film director, born in 1899, was famous for tense dramas such as Psycho, The Birds and Rear Window?") :)

Like I said, just how I see it.

I know he's young but i feel Gary Gardener has all the traits described. IF he stays injury free for a season or two he will develop into a class box to box midfielder. His technical ability is excellent as his work rate and reading of the game. I have been to quite a few of the next gen games (last season) and reserve games and its crazy how many time he just appears at the edge of the box unmarked waiting to score. His passing is good although could improve and his tackling and defensive work is impressive. 

On top of this the guy bloody loves football and aston villa. He plays with passion and enjoyment but also with a level head. Furthermore he is a leader (at least amongst the youngsters and reserves).

Obviously i've hyped him up quite alot but that is because i truly believe he is 'that player' just waiting for the chance to set the Prem on fire! 

As good as GG might turn out to be, I don't think he'll ever be a player with the specific type of creative vision someone like Sneijder has. I see him in competition with Delph for, as you say, the box-to-box spot, but with Sylla or Westwood staying back, we're still in need a player to control and move the ball intelligently in attacking positions and pick the locks for the front three, so we aren't stuck with counterattacking so often. It sounds as though Helenius will be tried as a pseudo-trequartista at some point, but I think we'll see a dedicated attacking playmaker brought in before the season starts.

• Like 1

Name the actor who stared in Demolition man?

Didn't Wesley Sneider win an Oscar in that? :P;)
No that was Wesley Scheider in jaws. Edited by darrenm

Someone who can take the pressure off the front 3 by chipping in with 8-10 goals a season from midfield, as well as creating chances. Obviously a 15-20 goal a season midfielder would be excellent but I think we'd rather get a balance of someone who can also create for our strikers. Someone like Dembele who can pull strings in midfield but also make those late runs into the box. 

There. I managed to answer that without even mentioning Frank Lampard.

We do need a Frank Lampard though.

I said it last season and I'll say it again this summer. We desperately need an experienced head in midfield to play that defensive role, as we get over run so much and leave a lot of space for opposition midfielders to run into. It was the cause of so many goals last season and will hurt us again next season if it doesnt get addressed.

I always thought Ciaran Clark would play that role but his defensive abilities are limited to say the least! We really need a new man in to be the lynchpin of that midfield 3.

• Like 1

Now we are speaking ambitious, WOW what a signing that would be but a bit unrealistic IMO. We are still crying out but the deadwood needs to go first. Looks to me as if we are struggling to ship Given, Ireland and Hutton out!

we need an experienced, good pro and preferably talented player in midfield who doesnt have an attitude problem and can control younger players. 

not exactly them but somebody similar to a Danny Murphy or Phil Neville, a player like that

• Like 1

Â